Want to get rid of the ads? Become a member by registering today.
The Mariah Owners Club

Forum Left Top

Welcome to the The Mariah Owners Club.

Trim & Oil gauge problems

Original Mariah Talk

Old 08-02-2010, 06:15 PM   #1

Captain D is currently offline
Find me on the Map
My Year: 1997
My Model: Shabah 180SE
My Engine: 4.3L Alpha 1
Gallery Images: 0

Send Captain D:
a Private Message

Default Trim & Oil gauge problems

Hi Guys,

I've search for my answers on the threads but haven't found them. I own a 1997 Shabah 182 w/ Merck 4.LYX & Alpha 1.

OIL GAUGE: Took the boat out for a 1 week trip. And the oil gauger is either sporadic or just goes all the way to the right side. Could this be a faulty sending unit or the contacts themselves.

TRIM GAUGE: This has never worked properly. I figured if I'm going to fix the oil press. gauger I might as well get this one at the same time. The gauge actually works BUT, from complete down to about 1/3 trim up the gauge doesn't move. Then, all of a sudden, it jumps up to 1/2 trim. Any ideas.

While I'm at it. I find this boat stern heavy. I look at most boats and there lines seem to be almost parallel to the water mine looks like it's WAY heavy in the back even when empty. I was thinking of moving the batteries forward right in front of the panel in front our feet. Is this sinking look normal?

Thanks for all your help,

Captain D
  • Old 08-02-2010, 10:43 PM   #2

recelect is currently offline
    Find me on the Map

Send recelect:
    a Private Message

Default Re: Trim & Oil gauge problems

Oil gauge: This bouncing can happen for a few reasons: 1. check connections in on the back of the gauge. Make sure they are clean and tight. a bad ground can cause the bouncing.
    2. It could just be a faulty guage, but I find when a gauge is faulty it does nothing.
    3. sending unit could have intermittent connection, so I would check the connections at the sending unit. it should be hooked in with some style of quick connect fitting. Usually if the sending units go bad they either do nothing, or the pressures will read low or high all the time.

Trim Gauge: I would check the grounds first. Bad grounds can cause guages to do weird things, however, I think either your Trim sender is out of adjustment, or has dirty contacts. To adjust the sender, locate it on the starboard side of the Outdrive. There will be two screws. To adjust it. Lower the drive all the way down, You might have to jack up the rear of the trailer to do this, pull the 2 screws holding the sender on and look on the inside of it for 2 allignment arrows. Match these up, and put the unit back on. There should be writing on the sender, make sure that is level and parrallel to the ground when you put the unit back on. Tighten the screws, turn your ignition on, and trim the outdrive up while watching your gauge. You may have to make minor adjustmens to the sender to get the guage to work like you will want. If it still is jumpy, you may need to replace the sender or try and clean the contacts inside and try again.

As far as being heavy, i feel the same way about my Z212. It seems like it sits lower in the back, but if I look at other boats, The outdrive is not anymore in the water then mine, so I think it just looks like it is heavy.

Hope this helps....
    Old 08-03-2010, 12:26 AM   #3

Captain D is currently offline
    Find me on the Map
    My Year: 1997
    My Model: Shabah 180SE
    My Engine: 4.3L Alpha 1

Send Captain D:
    a Private Message

Default Re: Trim & Oil gauge problems

Thank Recelect!!!