Want to get rid of the ads? Become a member by registering today.
The Mariah Owners Club

Forum Left Top

Welcome to the The Mariah Owners Club.

Stalls

Volvo Penta

Old 07-23-2012, 10:03 PM   #1

Barnacles is currently offline
My Year: 1998
My Model: 180 Shaba
My Engine: 4.3 Volvo Penta
Gallery Images: 0

Send Barnacles:
a Private Message

Unhappy Stalls

I have a 1998 Volvo Penta engine in my 180 Mariah Shabah and was on the water the other day getting ready to pull the kids. Just idling over to a calm spot and the engine died. Tried to resatart. It fired for a second or two and then died again. Never did get it started and had to be towed back to the dock. Any ideas or suggestions as to what could be wrong?
  • Old 07-30-2012, 02:41 PM   #2

MW Mariah is currently offline
    Find me on the Map
    My Year: 1996
    My Model: Shebah 180 SE
    My Engine: 4.3 V6 Volovo Penta

Send MW Mariah:
    a Private Message

Default Re: Stalls

Hey pal,

Well, gas engines are a reasonably simple device. You need air, fuel and spark to make them run.

If it was running ok prior to this my first guess, and the easiest to check would be fuel. My 96 Shebah has a 4.3 volvo and what looks like an electric fuel pump. you need to have someone look in the carb (if it has a carb) while you kick the throttle and see if it's squirting gas. If you have gas on to the next...
    If no gas, check fuel filter to see if it's clean if so check pump to make sure it is functioning.

checking spark is kind of advanced (can be dangerous) so check fuel first and go from there
    IF YOU ARE NOT MECHANICAL PLEASE BE SAFE AND TAKE IT TO A SHOP

I take no responsibility if you blow yourself up not knowing what you are doing.
    Old 07-30-2012, 03:22 PM   #3

Send Barnacles:
    a Private Message

Thanks for the info. I took the advice at the end of your message and took it into the shop. They are working on it right now. Don't know what the problem was yet.
    Old 08-21-2012, 12:55 AM   #4

Send Barnacles:
    a Private Message

Well I got it back and was told that a relay had to be reset in the fuel pump. Back on the water and ran well for one day. The next day had the same problem all over again. Has anyone heard of this problem and how could I reset it myself. I can't trust this boat at all anymore if it just suddenly stops running!
    Old 08-21-2012, 02:00 AM   #5

mikeyt is currently offline
    Find me on the Map
    My Year: 1996
    My Model: Shabah 180
    My Engine: 4.3
    Gallery Images: 14

Send mikeyt:
    a Private Message

Quote:
    Originally Posted by Barnacles View Post
    Well I got it back and was told that a relay had to be reset in the fuel pump. Back on the water and ran well for one day. The next day had the same problem all over again. Has anyone heard of this problem and how could I reset it myself. I can't trust this boat at all anymore if it just suddenly stops running!
    I'm gonna preface this by first stating i'm not a knowledgeable Volvo repair guy but most of this is fairly straight forward to check out.....whether its Mercruiser or Volvo. And, with all that said, it might be a good time to consider becoming a contributing member of our site which will gain you access to Volvo manuals / wiring schematics etc. Click here if you are interested.

Sorry but i just thought about this after i responded. I suspect your mechanic said he 'reseated' the relay rather than 'reset' it. That simply means he disconnected, cleaned the contacts & reseated it.

You might want to test the fuel pump itself. The pump only runs when the key is in the start position, as the FP relay is energised by the ignition switch when cranking the engine (start position). Once the engine is running, the alternator sends power through a diode to the fuel pump relay to keep it energized. If that diode is blown, then power will not get to the relay. But if you also can't start the engine until you manually run the fuel pump, then you have either a problem with the relay itself or the wiring to the relay.

If you put a jumper across the 30 and 87 terminals of the relay socket and the pump runs, you know the pump is ok.

For another test, you can remove the wire from the alternator and jump that to 12V and see if the pump turns on. You can at least hear the relay click on that way.

Now, Just because the alternator is charging the battery does not mean it is outputting voltage to the fuel pump relay. That output off of the alternator is separate from the charging output. With the engine running by bypassing the relay, check the voltage at the L1 terminal of the alternator. That is the terminal that feeds the fuel pump relay through the diode.

There is a green wire that runs from the alternator to the fuel pump relay that provides power to the pump when the engine is running. There is a diode on this wire. If the diode is shorted it will rob the pump relay of any available current. Remove the green wire and test the diode to see if it shorted or open.

Now if you turn the key to start, you should hear the fuel pump relay click on and it will power the fuel pump, it will keep on powering the fuel pump until you let go the they key and then it will stop.
    At this point, the engine should be started, and the alternator is now powering the fuel pump. However, if the diode in the green wire is burnt or shorted, any power that is supposed to go to the pump is now going through the diode and into the alternator. You can have voltage on the pumps + terminal, but all the current is shooting towards the alternator. That is the point of the diode, to prevent current flow in that direction.

If the diode ends up being shorted, remove the alternator and have it sent to a starter/alternator shop to be tested. If the there is a short in the alternator and it fried the diode, when you go to put a new diode wire on it, it will fry that one too. In the diagram below #12 is the diode wire while 13 is the actual diode.

Last edited by mikeyt; 04-15-2019 at 03:58 PM.
    Thank you mikeyt for this useful post!
    Barnacles (08-21-2012)