Want to get rid of the ads? Become a member by registering today.
The Mariah Owners Club

Forum Left Top

Welcome to the The Mariah Owners Club.

Prestige torsion trailer

Trailering and Tow Vehicles

Old 01-14-2014, 10:56 PM   #21

Motoxxx43 is currently offline
Find me on the Map
My Year: 2000
My Model: Shabah 250
My Engine: 7.4 MPI Bravo I
Gallery Images: 11

Send Motoxxx43:
a Private Message

Default Re: Prestige torsion trailer

Nothing wrong with an aluminum. My SC21 is on an aluminum. From what I understand they cost more. I don't ever launch in salt water either.

Sent from my DROID RAZR HD using Tapatalk
  • Old 01-14-2014, 10:59 PM   #22

Find me on the Map

Send Motoxxx43:
    a Private Message

Quote:
    Originally Posted by doaclnr View Post
    BOAT TRAILERS - CUSTOM - 14' TO 45' - DELIVERED DIRECT FROM FACTORY - $1495 (KANAS CITY DELIVERY)

image 1image 2image 3image 4image 5image 6image 7image 8image 9image 10image 11image 12

WE CAN BUILD ANY ALUMINUM BOAT TRAILER 14' TO 45'

WE CAN DROP SHIP ANY PART, SAME DAY!!! BELOW RETAIL!!!

** NO MIDDLE MAN - DIRECT FROM FACTORY *****

WE SHIP NATION WIDE!!!! WE ONLY CUSTOM BUILT ALUMINUM BOAT TRAILERS

CALL KAREN /863/398/7218

WITH OUR FACTORY DIRECT PRICING - NO MIDDLE MAN - LOW COST FREIGHT

OUR PRICING WILL NOT BE BEAT!!!

Singles start at 1495.00, tandems 2195.00, tri-axles 3395.00

Kodiac Surge Brakes - Disc packages available - Three year warranty!!!!

ALUMINUM I-BEAM
    TORSION AXLES
    LED LIGHTS
    GUIDE POLES
    FOUR CYPRESS WOOD BUNKS
    HEAVY DUTY JEEP SYTLE WALK ON FENDERS
    TWO YEAR ROAD SIDE ASSISTANCE ON ALL TIRES
    CUSTOM BUILT TO SPEC

WE SPECIALIZE IN CUSTOM MADE TRAILERS 14' TO 45'

SINGLES START AT 1495.00, TANDEMS START AT 2195.00, TRI-AXLES START AT 3395.00

NEW, USED, PARTS, TIRES, WE CAN GET ANYTHING YOU NEED!!

CALL TODAY AND SAVE!!! OUR PRICING AND QUALITY CAN NOT BE BEAT!!!
    I'll have to look into that for sure. The 2100 starting point seems enticing

Old 01-14-2014, 11:00 PM   #23

doaclnr is currently offline
    Find me on the Map
    My Year: 1999
    My Model: Z302
    My Engine: Volvo Penta 8.2 DP
    Gallery Images: 0

Send doaclnr:
    a Private Message

Let me know what you find out... My bro lives in Denver so I could bring it out sometime if that would help...
    Old 01-14-2014, 11:02 PM   #24

Find me on the Map

Send Motoxxx43:
    a Private Message

Thanks for the info an the heads up. I'm south of Denver about an hour an a half

Old 04-13-2014, 08:11 PM   #25

Find me on the Map

Send Motoxxx43:
    a Private Message

After spending the better part of the winter reading and making phone calls about possible solutions and products to get my trailer rolling safely I have it 90% completed. All I have left to do is touch up the new welds with white paint.
    For those in a similar situation the fix was not too bad. It was however, very time consuming and fairly expensive IMO. Still, better than the price of a new or new to me trailer.
    Do to the poor design Prestige utilized in making the era of trailer I have my axle fix was not so straight forward. The major flaw I am referring to involves the way they had cut square openings in the frame to get access to brake lines, wires, etc. These hole should have been round so that stress fractures did not develop over time. Fixing this issue was easy for the fabrication shop. They addressed two issues at once while fixing these cracks. By using 2x2 square tubing not only did they beef up the frame where the fractures were, they also provided some lift to the trailer which it desperately needed. Over the years the rubber in the axles lost its elasticity. It really pulled like crap. Plus a surge brake locked up on me this summer causing enough heat to blow out the tire. They heat transferred into the axle and basically had melted the spring factor out of that side of the axle. This made the ass end sag even more. (This issue was noticed after we got the axles off the trailer!) In the "before" photo you can see the heat discoloration on the wheel. Ill make it the spare when I find a matching wheel ("J blade" style?).

As for the replacement axles, I called around and emailed companies. The best product for the price came from Rockwell America. They made me two 3700lb axles with posi lube spindles and 10" electric drum brakes. I did not have to pay freight because they have a factory in Denver and I just picked them up from there. The axles were right under $1000. This was a smoking deal considering the price UFP or Dexter plus the freight. Takes around 3 weeks to have them made regardless of what company makes them. * I am aware the axles can be ordered with degrees of drop that would have lifted the ride height of the trailer BUT the frame needed work so the two inches I gained was my lift.

Not having any electric brake controller my vehicle meant it needed to be updated. Put in a prodigy II controller. It literally took ten min in the F150. Still have to put it in the Sierra. So far it has worked awesome. The controller along with connections, wiring and numerous other odds an ends came from eTrailer. Best prices and customer support I could find.

I also upgraded the tires from a load C to a load D. This was difficult to find in the 14" wheel. I am aware of the Kumo tires but opted for some Kenda I found good reviews on them and they were more affordable. Ordered from eTrailer and they were at my door in 48 hours... Free shipping. HERE
    I still have to put a wheel well back board on but waiting to paint. Cut them out of 1/2" plywood and primed with a marine primer then painted black like they were originally. Plus new carpet on the boat side.

After the brakes got hooked up and the new tires were installed this trailer does not tow anything like it did before! It rides and pulls night and day different. (I cant use that as an excuse to get a new truck now!)The suspension actually works! No sway either. Coming to a stop is no difficult feat which relieves a lot of stress. The trailer used to push me around. Definitely NOT safe without brakes. (If you are considering doing them dont wait for an accident to happen!) I am aware electric brakes may not sound like a great idea (electric, water, etc) but after talking to a bunch of other people with them I have plenty of confidence in them. Same for the posi lube spindles and their little rubber cap. Time will tell.
    Fracture in plain view:
    IMG_20131223_113611_710.jpg

Before the fix:
    IMG_20140216_131713_871.jpg

After:
    IMG_20140410_111624_249.jpg
    Old 02-02-2017, 04:27 AM   #26

baholtz is currently offline
    My Year: 1998
    My Model: 202 Shabah
    My Engine: 305
    Gallery Images: 14

Send baholtz:
    a Private Message

Just pulled mine into the trailer shop for repairs. Spun a bearing a year and half ago and marred up the spindle. Guy at the shop told me that I'm likely looking at a new axle as replacing spindles is kind of hit or miss. New axle might be expensive but that's alright with me as long as it's done right....

Much to my dismay, found square holes on my trailer too. Also, a nice stress crack on the drivers side going up about a 1/2" into the frame. I'm not sure if its too bad, just a little crack in he paint with corrosion. I'm thinking a 1/4" plate welded to the inside would likely fix this should it be a big issue...

Gonna stick with the surge breaks since I've only got the 202. She's a little big for the trailer but we don't go far. I'm told I can buy a shim that locks them out for disengaging in reverse so I will also be doing that.

Quite the project you had there Moto. Thanks for the insight....
    Old 02-02-2017, 04:30 AM   #27

Find me on the Map

Send Motoxxx43:
    a Private Message

You have torsion axles or leafs?

Sent from my XT1585 using Tapatalk
    Old 02-02-2017, 04:42 AM   #28

Send baholtz:
    a Private Message

Torsion.
    Old 02-02-2017, 04:58 AM   #29

Find me on the Map

Send Motoxxx43:
    a Private Message

Having zero experience welding I had to have a shop put the axles on. They charged me 250 to remove and install the two axles along with repairing the stress cracks. Unfortunately the original axles are welded into place. The new axles now bolt up to brackets that are welded to the frame. In the future I can order new axles and bolt them in IF I ever need to replace them. In your situation you might be able to do the job correctly with some HD angle iron welded to the frame. I had them put around 3' of 2x2 tubing to beef up the section of frame. My axles are bolted to that.
    I ordered them with zero lift do to the lift.of the 2" lift. I don't recall if I listed the company in this thread but American Rockwell is the company I ordered through. You don't have to order an axle with brakes but I needed them and wanted to start with a clean bill of health on the trailer. You should be able to get a new torsion axle for around 450 sans the shipping. If you're near a big city you may be able to avoid shipping by having it shipped to one of their distribution centers and picking it up yourself.
    Having the axle put on is not rocket science. If I had welding skills I would have attempted it myself but the reasonable price they have to to install it was worth it. Took them an afternoon.
    The new axles were night an day difference while towing. I now store the trailer on blocks during the winter. No weight on axles/tires.

Sent from my XT1585 using Tapatalk
    Old 02-02-2017, 05:09 AM   #30

Send baholtz:
    a Private Message

Up in Wyoming, so a trip to Denver to American Rockwell is not out of the question. Neither is paying for shipping.

Reinforcing stress cracks is not a huge concern for me. Only saw one on that side. Once they have it apart I'll look at it. Likely pay someone else to do it.... Buying parts and putting on is not an issue for me, but time is. My last trailer project is not complete and started 3 years ago for some jetski's. I'll shell out the money and not have to worry about it in this instance.

This thing has always towed well for us. It's got some bounce cause she's kinda a lard ass, but this is the first problem we've had in 20 yrs. Also, we haven't put many miles on her. The trailer probably has less than 10k on it. Pretty sure it's the original tires (kept inside so no rot). Had we put bearing buddies on it before we likely wouldn't have spun the bearing and still been trucking.

Square holes? Who in their right mind thought that was a good idea?