Want to get rid of the ads? Become a member by registering today.
The Mariah Owners Club

Forum Left Top

Welcome to the The Mariah Owners Club.

My tow set up

Trailering and Tow Vehicles

Old 06-25-2013, 01:31 AM   #1

jetinspector is currently offline
Find me on the Map
My Year: 1990
My Model: 2000Z
My Engine: Mercrusier 350
Gallery Images: 6

Send jetinspector:
a Private Message

Default My tow set up

This is my set up, a Chevy 1500 2WD with the 5.3L and a 1990 2000Z. The pickup pulls it great, you know it is back there but it does pretty good. This last weekend we had it out and I had a hard time getting it back up the ramp after it was loaded, two guys had to jump on the back bumper to get enough traction to make it up and out of the water. The ramp was steep and wet so I know that didn't help me at all. I am looking for suggestions for the next time when it is just the 3 of us and there doesn't happen to be two guys standing around to act as bumper weights! This weekend I am planning on trying a different ramp that should be in better condition and not quite so slick.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg boatpickup.jpg (50.4 KB, 71 views)
  • Old 06-25-2013, 02:09 AM   #2

csterner is currently offline
    Find me on the Map
    My Year: 2001
    My Model: Z275ST Shabah
    My Engine: 6.2L Bravo III
    Gallery Images: 9

Send csterner:
    a Private Message

Default Re: My tow set up

I see alot of guys that go way too fast and spin their tires for no reason at all. I would suggest going really really slow up the ramp. If your tires break loose and start to spin, then stop immediately and restart again going slow. I see alot of guys that once their tires break loose and start to spin, they feel the urge to gun it. That does nothing but burn up your tires. Also, what if you tried lowering your ball to put more weight on the rear axle? If you have an adjustable hitch, try lowering it just to pull the boat out. And then once you get your boat out, you will have to raise it back up before you get on the road. It is extra work, but a simple fix and beats having to recruit people at the ramp to jump up and down on the back of your truck while trying to pull your boat out!

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk HD
    Old 06-25-2013, 03:20 AM   #3

Find me on the Map

Send jetinspector:
    a Private Message

Yeah, one of the guys in front of me decided that once his tires started spinning that faster and more smoke ment that he would go forward. I put it in first and slowly started out but the slick wet ramp was to much. I have two ball and hitch setups, they are just a small drop hitch but I have one turned upside down to lift the trailer higher when towing. I will have to try using the other lower one next time. I will say that boat loads like a dream, probably one of the easiest I have ever loaded.
    Old 06-25-2013, 06:08 AM   #4

finleydj is currently offline
    My Year: 1995
    My Model: 220 talari
    My Engine: 5.7
    Gallery Images: 0

Send finleydj:
    a Private Message

Do you have the optimal tongue weight?
    Old 06-25-2013, 11:51 AM   #5

ShabahZ280 is currently offline
    Find me on the Map
    My Year: 1999
    My Model: Z280 MCC
    My Engine: 7.4L MPI Bravo III
    Gallery Images: 1564

Send ShabahZ280:
    a Private Message

Ultimately, the best solution is a 4x4 truck, but if that's out of the question, the other option you could look into is a locking differential. It'll have to be professionally installed, and it's a bit expensive, but it'll allow your wheels to lock together for better traction. There are multiple options, but I'd either go with a true full time locker (Detroit) or a selectable one which would allow you to lock and unlock when you need it. Selectables are by far, the most expensive, but they are awesome. They make air & electric locking diffs. I had front & rear selectable air lockers in my old rockcrawler, they were amazing.
    -Formerly known as ShabahZ250
    -USCG Licensed 50 Ton Near Coastal Master Captain with Towing Certification
    Old 06-25-2013, 01:52 PM   #6

nglauer is currently offline
    Find me on the Map
    My Model: 180 Diablo
    My Engine: 3.0L Alpha one

Send nglauer:
    a Private Message

jetinspector, I didn't see it mentioned yet - what type of tires do you have on your truck, and how much tread is remaining? Tires can and will play a large role in towing.

Also, what year is your truck (I can tell it's a 99 or newer from the back, but couldn't see the grill). Does it have traction control, or a tow/haul button? Also,look in your glovebox/center console for the manufacturers RPO codes. There will be various RPO numbers on the decal (each represents something installed on your truck). Try to locate one that says G80. Here is an example of the Service Parts Identification decal

The G80 code is for the factory Eaton locking differential. This is a mechanical locking differential. These will lock after the tires spin. I have attached a video

The last few trucks I have had came with the G80. Although an electronic locking unit would be superior - a factory Eaton locker like the one in the video above should be sufficient for pulling your boat up the ramp (this is assuming your tires are up to the task).

Something else to consider would be tire pressure. You might try lowering the tire pressure on the back wheels (nothing drastic) but enough to "flatten" the tire out. I would suggest something around 20lbs perhaps. You could also get a few sandbags to toss in the bed of the truck for ballast.

If you don't have a G80 code, and your tires are good - I agree with ShabahZ280, and would suggest you look into a locking rear differential.

Good luck!

Nick
    Old 06-25-2013, 08:53 PM   #7

Andy b is currently offline
    Find me on the Map
    My Model: Diablo 180
    My Engine: Volvo 4.3gl/sx drive
    Gallery Images: 9

Send Andy b:
    a Private Message

Ah now something we here in the UK know about....lol
    2 wheel drive pickups wheel spinning on a green ramp

There are a couple of ramps around my way that get very green at low water.
    Not a problem for me because I have 4x4, but a couple of my friends have rear wheel drive pickups (and a lot smaller than yours!)
    They have a large water tank on the bed. fill it up before you launch or before you leave home.
    then drain it after you've recovered
    One friend of mine even has a petrol powered pump attached for hosing down

A lot cheaper than locking diff's
    Old 06-26-2013, 12:49 AM   #8

Find me on the Map

Send jetinspector:
    a Private Message

Nglauer, the pickup is a 99 with the tow/haul package, I have not had the chance to look and see if it has the G80 option. I had an ah ha moment as I was reading your post. The tires are in good shape but they are rated for 80psi, the previous owner used it to haul loads of wood so he put tires with a higher weight rating on. I have been running 60psi in them and I would bet if I backed it down to about 30psi it would make a big difference. Also I cannot remember if I had the tow/haul on, so that could have been a factor. I am going to try a different ramp next time as I have several to chose from and hopefully I can find one that is not so steep and is in better condition!
    Old 06-26-2013, 01:17 AM   #9

nglauer is currently offline
    Find me on the Map
    My Model: 180 Diablo
    My Engine: 3.0L Alpha one

Send nglauer:
    a Private Message

I'm not sure the tow haul button will do much for you at the ramp - I believe it just adjusts your shift patterns and holds you in gear until you are at a higher RPM. However, if your truck has the tow haul option, and a factory hitch - then it probably has a G80 locking rear diff.

If it spun one tire up the ramp - then you most likely don't have the G80. I would try changing the air pressure and adding ballast like Andy mentioned. It should help quite a bit.

Good luck! Keep us posted.

p.s. one ramp we go to occasionally will have massive amounts of slimy silt on it (if the water levels are low). I don't even bother going to it if the water is down because it's impossible to get back up. It's like a slip n slide from hell
    Old 06-30-2013, 02:20 PM   #10

vman is currently offline
    My Year: 1995
    My Model: Z22 Talari
    My Engine: 7.4 Bravo III
    Gallery Images: 4

Send vman:
    a Private Message

I personally have a 2010 f150 supercrew larait 4x4 with 3:73 gears and heavy tow package, But I have have a 1994 toyota 4x4 v6 that I also bought new and used to pull my champion bass boat with it. Never had a problem, but since retired the toyota from pulling. Might sound a little strange but I have a friend that has a 2wd Chevy that was pulling his Ranger out and was slipping on a concrete ramp. I always carry a bag of kitty litter around (small bag) just for icy or slick conditions. If you can put enough down to get your rear tires gripped with some litter, and as you pull up the ramp, add a litle brake or e brake as you pull, you will slow the rate of spin, gain your torque and the litter will give you bite for traction. Sounds crazy but it does work, have helped a few people out this way over the years. Its all about torque and traction. You have no traction if your wheels are spinning, nor if your tires have no bite. just an idea.http://http://

Last edited by vman; 06-30-2013 at 02:23 PM.