Want to get rid of the ads? Become a member by registering today.
The Mariah Owners Club

Forum Left Top

Welcome to the The Mariah Owners Club.

Prestige trailer: done- aluminum options(boat trailers direct)

Trailering and Tow Vehicles

Old 06-25-2013, 09:05 PM   #1

dieselwiezil is currently offline
Find me on the Map
My Model: 2000 Mariah 212 5.7V8 Mercruiser Alpha I 21p mirage plus 48-13702
Gallery Images: 0

Send dieselwiezil:
a Private Message

Exclamation Prestige trailer: done- aluminum options(boat trailers direct)

Pulled the boat out of dry storage from a two year sit and noticed the trailer has 3 structural issues so im electing to bite the bullet and buy an aluminum trailer. I have received several quotes from McLaine trailers, ez load, and some others and found that Home have the best bang for the buck. Does anyone have any experience with them? About to place an order for the trailer and its around $2600 shipped. I am electing to not have brakes. Here's the quote, what do yall think?

You will be receiving a:
19-21T
torsion axle
guide poles
marine carpeted cypress bunks
led lights
fender bunks (125.00)
Delivery (300.00)
Base 2195.00
total amount $ 2620.00

"Out of everything I have, I still prefer riding MARIAH"
  • Old 06-26-2013, 07:33 PM   #2

ShabahZ280 is currently offline
    Find me on the Map
    My Year: 1999
    My Model: Z280 MCC
    My Engine: 7.4L MPI Bravo III
    Gallery Images: 1564

Send ShabahZ280:
    a Private Message

Default Re: Prestige trailer: done- aluminum options(boat trailers direct)

Did you try Pirate Marine? They've got connections with a few trailer manufacturers and ship nationwide.

Pirate Marine Boat Trailers

My tri-axle aluminum trailer came from them, it's a Sportline made by Loadmaster of florida.

I'd also highly recommend having brakes. They're required in some states. Don't cheap out on something for your own safety...

Just curious why you're switching to aluminum, is it just to avoid rusting? Or is it the weight savings? Just by looking at your tow vehicles in your signature, both of your rides should be able to fully pull a 212 on a steel trailer without even budging... Only reason I ask is because you can probably get a nice galvanized/painted/powdercoated steel trailer for much less.
    -Formerly known as ShabahZ250
    -USCG Licensed 50 Ton Near Coastal Master Captain with Towing Certification
    Old 06-26-2013, 11:39 PM   #3

Motoxxx43 is currently offline
    Find me on the Map
    My Year: 2000
    My Model: Shabah 250
    My Engine: 7.4 MPI Bravo I
    Gallery Images: 11

Send Motoxxx43:
    a Private Message

I will agree with Shabah on the brakes idea. Less wear an tear on your trucks brakes, tires, etc. I have a Prestige trailer and am currently giving it a quick once over prior to our trip to Powell. Bearings, grease and some brake parts. So far it has been pretty reasonable for the parts. I just need some help bleeding the new stuff and it should be good to go.

What issues are you having with yours?
    Old 06-27-2013, 01:52 PM   #4

dieselwiezil is currently offline
    Find me on the Map
    My Model: 2000 Mariah 212 5.7V8 Mercruiser Alpha I 21p mirage plus 48-13702
    Gallery Images: 0

Send dieselwiezil:
    a Private Message

All crossmembers are completely rusted. The first one just back from the tongue is only being held by the top piece of the rectangle tubing.

I had a friend quote me 1200 to cut it all out and repaint with 2 part epoxy. The aluminum trailer with new wheels and tires is 2600 shipped. The brackish/salt water will definitely destroy your rigs. Every time I get out of the water it goes straight to the carwash and gets cleaned. Maybe I need to buy a lake house. ...

Brake issue is: I have never had working surge brakes trailer. Its always just slammed back and forth. ... I can still add it before the trailer is started. I just figured why have the extra fail prone parts. This setup weighs what 4500-5000 lbs?

"Out of everything I have, I still prefer riding MARIAH"
    Old 06-27-2013, 02:44 PM   #5

Motoxxx43 is currently offline
    Find me on the Map
    My Year: 2000
    My Model: Shabah 250
    My Engine: 7.4 MPI Bravo I
    Gallery Images: 11

Send Motoxxx43:
    a Private Message

I can see where that is not worth the repair. Luckily the region I am in is very dry and the closest salt water is in Utah!
    I opted to fix my braked because the other trailer to my other boat that has them tows so nice the effort on my truck is minimal when slowing down. I'm hoping for the same on the prestige trailer hauling the 4500lb Shabah.

Sent from my DROID RAZR HD using Tapatalk 2
    Old 06-27-2013, 07:00 PM   #6

ShabahZ280 is currently offline
    Find me on the Map
    My Year: 1999
    My Model: Z280 MCC
    My Engine: 7.4L MPI Bravo III
    Gallery Images: 1564

Send ShabahZ280:
    a Private Message

Quote:
    Originally Posted by dieselwiezil View Post
    Brake issue is: I have never had working surge brakes trailer. Its always just slammed back and forth. ... I can still add it before the trailer is started. I just figured why have the extra fail prone parts. This setup weighs what 4500-5000 lbs?
    That's how surge brakes work. When you apply brakes on the truck and the hitch pushes back, the pressure applies the brakes on the trailer. When you take off, the pressure is relieved, and the brakes release. If it's "slamming back and forth" you should add some brake fluid to the reservoir on the trailer, because that's one of the classic symptoms of not having enough fluid in the system.

The tri-axle I've got now has Electric over Hydraulic brakes. It has surge brakes and works the same way, but uses an electrical controller to apply the brakes instantly, the surge brakes are essentially a backup system. It's able to be fully customized using a brake controller mounted in the truck, and you can adjust it however you'd like. Nowadays, they are starting to recommend EOH braking setups for anything above 4000lbs.

I will tell you an experience I had without brakes. I literally annihilated the brakes on my Excursion towing on a trip through the Smoky Mountains when the trailer had no functioning brakes. By the time I got back, I could barely stop it, the rotors were warped, I lost about 70% of the pads, and 3 of my calipers were seized due to the excessive heat. Keep in mind, that's a 3/4 ton truck too. It was the most white-knuckled ride I had ever taken, and I NEVER want to experience anything like that again. After I repaired the trailer brakes, and redid the entire brakes on the Excursion, I haven't had an ounce of trouble towing at all, in fact it's a breeze, and I can stop it very quickly. My fully loaded boat and trailer setup now runs close to 10k, add the 7230lbs of the truck, that's a SCARY amount of rolling mass to slow down. Even a 5000lb boat will put a hell of a stress on your truck's braking system.

I'm going to strongly suggest you get the brakes. If you decide you don't want the "extra fail prone parts" of a brand new braking system, that's your own call. Just make sure and post a pic of your truck and boat setup on here, so all of us can stay out of your lane on the highway.
    -Formerly known as ShabahZ250
    -USCG Licensed 50 Ton Near Coastal Master Captain with Towing Certification
    Old 11-16-2013, 03:46 PM   #7

S.L.P. is currently offline
    My Model: 2000 Z260 MCC 7.4L MPI BravoIII
    Gallery Images: 14

Send S.L.P.:
    a Private Message

My Prestige had the same rust issues. It had to go. You have no doubt acquired a trailer by now. I had to. I went with a used Rolls Axle Aluminum Tandem axle bunk. its substantially lighter, pulls nice and has disc brakes that work well. All aluminum and stainless construction. I added the outboard pressure treated bunks , the inboard are cypress. Bunks are adjustable in height, angle and location. So far, its working for me.
    the folks at Monkey Junction Marine and Trailer in N.Carolina are excellent. They set it up to my deadrise and strakes location. pics are attached.
    Attached Images
    File Type: jpg GEDV0250 (2).jpg (235.2 KB, 34 views)
    File Type: jpg GEDV0247 (2).jpg (318.3 KB, 29 views)