Want to get rid of the ads? Become a member by registering today.
The Mariah Owners Club

Forum Left Top

Welcome to the The Mariah Owners Club.

Question regarding cross-country tow

Trailering and Tow Vehicles

Old 04-30-2008, 07:17 PM   #1

Tvacek is currently offline
My Model: 2000 Mariah Z278 Shabah, 496 HO Mag Bravo III
Gallery Images: 10

Send Tvacek:
a Private Message

Default Question regarding cross-country tow

Hello to all -

A newbie here who just recently purchased an 00' Z278 Shabah (see "Mariahs for sale" category).

I'm a bit concerned about going to pick it up this coming week. I'm taking my 04' Z71 tahoe 1200 miles across country and back to pick it up, and I've been told by others that I should be taking at least a 3/4 ton truck - preferably 1-ton. According to my owners manual, the weight of the boat is within my limits of 7800lbs towing capacity. Has anybody on here done any similar towing?

I certainly don't want to blow my truck up on the trip back, nor put myself or others on the road in danger. Just looking for a bit of input. Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks to all!

Todd
New Mariah owner
  • Old 04-30-2008, 07:43 PM   #2

ShabahZ280 is currently offline
    Find me on the Map
    My Year: 1999
    My Model: Z280 MCC
    My Engine: 7.4L MPI Bravo III
    Gallery Images: 1564

Send ShabahZ280:
    a Private Message

The general rule of thumb, anything above 24ft usually requires a 3/4 ton truck minimum to pull it. That's not to say it couldn't be done, but you're probably "pushing it" being close to the max towing capacity. However I towed my Z250 back 500 miles from Baltimore with a 1/2 ton Escalade (glorified Tahoe). I didn't really encounter any problems, but it wasn't the most practical towing vehicle. Where you'll notice the issues with a 1/2 ton suspension is in sway control and rear ride height. Watch yourself next to semi's, RV's, and any place that warns you of crosswinds like up in the mountains. Hit trailerboats.com and study up on their towing guide, it'll help you learn how to control sway and any other issues you might have.

Do you have an approximate weight for the trailer? Steel or aluminum?

What engine does your Z71 have? Hopefully something larger than the 5.3L?

As long as you can take your time and don't push it, I don't see why it wouldn't be able to get you by, at least once.
    -Formerly known as ShabahZ250
    -USCG Licensed 50 Ton Near Coastal Master Captain with Towing Certification
    Old 04-30-2008, 07:45 PM   #3

WolfProperties is currently offline
    Find me on the Map
    Gallery Images: 0

I have a 2003 Tahoe Z71, and work in the RV business for a living. I defiitely would NOT tow it with yours. I paid a driver to go get mine (due in any minute!!!) due to me being a novice tower and I really would prefer someone who knows what hes doing to drive it a couple hundred miles.
    Old 05-01-2008, 02:50 AM   #4

Scotty is currently offline
    Find me on the Map
    Gallery Images: 3

Send Scotty:
    a Private Message

Default Scotty

We have a 97 tahoe to pull our z280.I have been told by my buddy who is a Service Manager for a General Motors dealership -- not to use my Tahoe for long haul towing. We just use ours to launch boat in spring and haul home in fall.(approx. 60 miles each way)
    Old 05-01-2008, 03:09 AM   #5

Z 202 is currently offline
    Find me on the Map
    My Year: 1995
    My Model: Mariah Shabah 202
    My Engine: 5.7L Alpha 1
    Gallery Images: 6

Send Z 202:
    a Private Message

If you are experienced with towing it's do-able. Tahoe is a frame on vehicle is it not? Just make sure your rig is ready. The towing package should have included in auxiliary transmission cooler, and if it doesn't, you'd be wise to definatley invest in one before you make the trip.

My Shabah is using what the hybrids are saving!
    Old 05-01-2008, 05:17 AM   #6

bdbyrnes is currently offline
    Find me on the Map
    My Year: 1995
    My Model: Talari z240
    My Engine: 7.4L V8 - Bravo III
    Gallery Images: 41

Send bdbyrnes:
    a Private Message

Quote:
    Originally Posted by Tvacek View Post
    Hello to all -

A newbie here who just recently purchased an 00' Z278 Shabah (see "Mariahs for sale" category).

I'm a bit concerned about going to pick it up this coming week. I'm taking my 04' Z71 tahoe 1200 miles across country and back to pick it up, and I've been told by others that I should be taking at least a 3/4 ton truck - preferably 1-ton. According to my owners manual, the weight of the boat is within my limits of 7800lbs towing capacity. Has anybody on here done any similar towing?

I certainly don't want to blow my truck up on the trip back, nor put myself or others on the road in danger. Just looking for a bit of input. Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks to all!

Todd
    New Mariah owner
    Todd-

I think you should look at a couple things beyond what others have mentioned:

* Load rating on your tires (Tahoe)
    * shape and load rating for the trailer tires (don't take this for granted)
    * Also make sure you check out the bearings, wheels and rotors and check the brake level in the actuator. I have a story - that I posted last September - that led to an entire trailer rebuild on my part....

I just upgraded my 1500HD with 'E' rated tires specifically to ensure I wouldn't have any tow issues. It also has the 6.0L v8 and tow package.

Brent
    Corsa Performance Captains Call Exhaust
    Samson Sports Tower
    Old 05-01-2008, 12:07 PM   #7

WetWilly is currently offline
    Find me on the Map
    My Year: 1996
    My Model: Z240 Talari
    My Engine: 7.4L Bravo III
    Gallery Images: 25

Send WetWilly:
    a Private Message

Hey Tvacek

Using your Tahoe is a bad idea, go with the ¾ ton like ShabahZ250 suggested and you’ll be fine.

As ShabahZ250 was indicating, I think you forgot to factor in your trailer. That said, your load probably exceeds the GTW (gross Tow Weight) for the 04’ Tahoe.

Our trailer weighs 1700 for a heavy duty tandem, I believe yours is a triple axle and so I doubt it weighs less even if it’s aluminum, so let’s say 200 or 300lbs more.

Yes, your owner’s manual stated your Z278 weight is 6100lbs., but typically this is the dry weight and with the base engine which in this case is the 5.7 and your’s has the 7.4, I've seen differences listed of up to 200lbs between the two, but I know it's more than 120lbs. Add about 6lbs for every gallon of gas still in the Z's tank too.

If you add the extra weight of your motor and now the trailer, your “package” weighs closer to 8100lbs, a little bit more than the Tahoe's 7800lbs limit...

Another thing, check your tow hitch, most SUV's come with a class III hitch. Class III hitches are designed to handle up to 5,000 lbs. GTW and 500 lbs. tongue weight. You would have to adjust your trailer so you’re running with 6% or less at the tongue which may make the trailer very unstable.

The only safe option if your determined to use your Tahoe is going with a weight-distributing hitch and then the rating can increases up to 10,000 lbs. GTW and 1000 lbs. tongue weight.

Hey Scotty, listen to your Service Manager. Your 97's GWT is only 7000lbs and the 98' Z280 dry is already 7350lbs without the trailer, any distance with your Tahoe is an accident waiting to happen.

Guys, I’m not being paranoid here, I don't know about where you live, but in California, they take trailering very seriously and any accident resulting in injuries due to you exceeding your tow capacity can and will bring criminal charges. It’s just not worth endangering yourself, other's or your Mariah because of convenience.

Safety first, fun second,
    WetWilly
    Old 05-01-2008, 02:07 PM   #8

Z275 is currently offline
    Find me on the Map
    Gallery Images: 15

Send Z275:
    a Private Message

FYI - The trailer that boat uses is 1900lbs, it's the same one that my boat uses. Too bad they didn't use an aluminum tri-axle because they weight 950-1000lbs. That would save a lot of gas!
    I don't think you will have much issue with sway on a tri-axle because they are very stable, even with a shorter wheelbase vehicle. The problem you're going to have is braking and power. The Tahoe has somewhat undersized brakes to begin with so if the trailer brakes aren't in tip-top condition you're going to have issues. Also, you will have problems going up steep inclines. Not to mention it's going to be VERY hard on the tranny in the Tahoe, pretty much suicide if you don't have the optional tranny cooler.
    I think WetWilly was correct about the Tahoe having a 5000lb hitch as well. It would be way overloaded. Also most boat trailer manufactures advise against using anti-sway type hitches.
    Old 05-01-2008, 04:12 PM   #9

Tvacek is currently offline
    My Model: 2000 Mariah Z278 Shabah, 496 HO Mag Bravo III
    Gallery Images: 10

Send Tvacek:
    a Private Message

Thank you all for the insight and the concern for both my safety and the safety of others. I'm doing a bit of research and taking all of this into consideration. Finding a buddy w/ a Diesel pick-up that is willing to let you take it for a 2400-mile road trip isn't as easy as I originally thought. I'll keep everyone posted on the outcome of this thread....
    Old 05-01-2008, 05:08 PM   #10

Z275 is currently offline
    Find me on the Map
    Gallery Images: 15

Send Z275:
    a Private Message

You may want to check some rental places around you. Sometimes you can rent heavy duty trucks at equipment rental shops or even specialty car rental shops. Just make sure there is no per mile charge