Want to get rid of the ads? Become a member by registering today.
The Mariah Owners Club

Forum Left Top

Welcome to the The Mariah Owners Club.

Starter in Z-260

Original Mariah Talk

Old 09-21-2014, 10:06 PM   #1

Chris B is currently offline
Find me on the Map
My Year: 1998
My Model: Z260 MCC
My Engine: 7.4L Bravo III
Gallery Images: 0

Send Chris B:
a Private Message

Default Starter in Z-260

Anyone ever remove the starter on a 7.4 MPI in a Z-260. Going try to trouble shoot it now but really can not see it to do much
  • Old 09-22-2014, 01:00 PM   #2

Hudson River Steve is currently offline
    Find me on the Map
    My Year: 1999
    My Model: Z280
    My Engine: 7.4L MPI Bravo3
    Gallery Images: 5

Send Hudson River Steve:
    a Private Message

Default Re: Starter in Z-260

I have the Z280 with the 7.4 MPI, you need to be very limber to remove the starter.

Sent from my DROID using Tapatalk 2
    Old 09-22-2014, 01:58 PM   #3

Find me on the Map

Send Chris B:
    a Private Message

Steve,
    I do not know if limber is the word as I had to use an hand held mirror just to see the starter. I think may have to at least pull the manifold, but this one may have to go to the repair shop. Still not finished with the trouble shoot but starter has been acting up lately and I smoked it on Saturday, thought I was on fire so all I have now is a solenoid click. Mariah's are great boats but not easy to work on, especially this 260, it took 2 hours just to change the spark plugs of course some of that time was spent fishing dropped tools out of the bilge and there is still stuff down there I have never found.
    Old 09-22-2014, 02:25 PM   #4

Hudson River Steve is currently offline
    Find me on the Map
    My Model: Z280
    My Engine: 7.4L MPI Bravo3
    Gallery Images: 5

Send Hudson River Steve:
    a Private Message

Chris,
    Removing the manifold will definitely help although that is not such an easy job either due to rust bolts etc. I have found that wadding up a bunch of towels, placing them on the top of the engine and then laying on them while I hang upside down like a monkey is the best solution to accessing components low in the bildge (starter, raw water pump etc.). Good luck.
    Steve
    99 Mariah 258 likes this.
    Old 09-22-2014, 05:55 PM   #5

Andy b is currently offline
    Find me on the Map
    My Year: 2001
    My Model: Diablo 180
    My Engine: Volvo 4.3gl/sx drive
    Gallery Images: 9

Send Andy b:
    a Private Message

Quote:
    Originally Posted by Chris B View Post
    some of that time was spent fishing dropped tools out of the bilge and there is still stuff down there I have never found.
    Big Old speaker magnet on a line is your friend here sir
    Old 09-22-2014, 06:24 PM   #6

ShabahZ280 is currently offline
    Find me on the Map
    My Model: Z280 MCC
    My Engine: 7.4L MPI Bravo III
    Gallery Images: 1564

Send ShabahZ280:
    a Private Message

I agree with Steve. I have a padded cushion I use to lay across the block whenever I'm working in the engine compartment. It's usually just much easier to lay down in there than try and stand or crouch down. I've got the 4kw Generator in mine, and literally there's about 6 inches of free space on each side of the engine. When my coupler went out, my mechanic had to remove the engine to replace the coupler. He's been working on boats for 25 years said this was the most cramped engine compartment he's ever worked in. It just takes some clever body contortion, mirrors, flashlights, flexible sockets, extensions, and a lot of cursewords to accomplish most simple tasks on the engine. For the significant stuff that you don't think you can do by yourself, let a pro work on it!
    -Formerly known as ShabahZ250
    -USCG Licensed 50 Ton Near Coastal Master Captain with Towing Certification
    Old 10-19-2014, 04:34 PM   #7

Find me on the Map

Send Chris B:
    a Private Message

Finally got starter out. Did this a couple weeks ago just have not had time to post. Had to remove the black water tank and hot water heater. Laid on top of engine with head on cushion and worked upside down. Starter burned up so went to the MerCruiser repair manual and it said that Mando starter is not repairable and has no available repair parts. Manual says to replace with Delco PG260 but it does not state which one. So took starter to local repair shop and he said he can get parts. Had it repaired and reversed my process to re-install it along with hot water heater and black water tank. All working fine now. During this process I did cuss a whole bunch along with fussing at the boat. Said as soon as it was running again I was going to sell it and switch over to a boat with outboard motors. But after I finished, we made up and I like my boat again. I have worked on almost every thing that has an engine but I believe this is the hardest job I ever did. Mariah is a great boat but it seems very little engineering and thought was put into serviceability. Good thing mechanical problems are few and far between. But I am happy now, all is working well. This time of year actually starts our boating season as the weather is cooling off and it makes it more pleasant to go out cruising. July, August and September here are just brutally hot with high humidity and high water temperatures. Thanks for all the advise during this project.
    Old 10-19-2014, 09:58 PM   #8

99 Mariah 258 is currently offline
    My Model: Z258
    My Engine: 7.4 & Bravo 3
    Gallery Images: 14

Send 99 Mariah 258:
    a Private Message

Quote:
    Originally Posted by Chris B View Post
    Finally got starter out. Did this a couple weeks ago just have not had time to post. Had to remove the black water tank and hot water heater. Laid on top of engine with head on cushion and worked upside down. Starter burned up so went to the MerCruiser repair manual and it said that Mando starter is not repairable and has no available repair parts. Manual says to replace with Delco PG260 but it does not state which one. So took starter to local repair shop and he said he can get parts. Had it repaired and reversed my process to re-install it along with hot water heater and black water tank. All working fine now. During this process I did cuss a whole bunch along with fussing at the boat. Said as soon as it was running again I was going to sell it and switch over to a boat with outboard motors. But after I finished, we made up and I like my boat again. I have worked on almost every thing that has an engine but I believe this is the hardest job I ever did. Mariah is a great boat but it seems very little engineering and thought was put into serviceability. Good thing mechanical problems are few and far between. But I am happy now, all is working well. This time of year actually starts our boating season as the weather is cooling off and it makes it more pleasant to go out cruising. July, August and September here are just brutally hot with high humidity and high water temperatures. Thanks for all the advise during this project.
    I just changed my starter today and it was a nightmare. When I finally got it out all my terminals / connectors were rusted together so I had to replace all the connectors with the starter.... Cleaned all the battery terminals and connections and when I finally went to fire it up ...........nothing......ahhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhh.. ..pulled the ignition switch and messed with it a little and got it to turn over.....now it will turn on sometimes the first try and at other times she won't turn until 3-4 turns of the key......Changing ignition switch next...