Want to get rid of the ads? Become a member by registering today.
The Mariah Owners Club

Forum Left Top

Welcome to the The Mariah Owners Club.

LED lights???

Original Mariah Talk

Old 04-27-2012, 03:04 PM   #11

TexasZ212 is currently offline
Find me on the Map
My Year: 1999
My Model: Z212 Shabah
My Engine: 5.7 Mercruiser Alpha 1
Gallery Images: 0

Send TexasZ212:
a Private Message

Default Re: LED lights???

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steve91T View Post
Thanks for the post, I was just getting ready to hit the order button when I saw this. What about the pole light? That one has a lot more room for the 1142, right? I'll look look for another LED that might work for the anchor light.

A little off topic, but there are two white lights on the back of the boat. The one on the pole and the one on the stern. The pole is used for navigation while under way, but are you allowed to run the stern light as well? Is that what you guys are calling the anchor light? I thought the pole light was to be used while at anchor as well.
The anchor light is the one on the stern. As far as I know you could run it too while underway.
And yes you definitely need the pole light on while you are anchored out at night or underway.
  • Old 04-27-2012, 03:09 PM   #12

Find me on the Map

Send TexasZ212:
    a Private Message

Quote:
    Originally Posted by TexasZ212 View Post
    Steve, I too have a love for LED's now. My son put LED's all through our boat. He left the courtesy lights alone because he put dimmable accent lighting all through the interior of our boat. (green since that's our boat color) He also put them in all the storage compartments so that when you open them at night, they are lit up. He also put them on and around the swim platform that we made ourselves. All the LED's everywhere throughout the boat and on the swim platform, they are sooo awesome looking at night there is just no words good enough to describe it.
    Just wanted to mention that I did take some pictures that I will be posting later on when I get the time to do a DIY (do-it-yourself) article. Not only the lights but the swim platform as well.
    Old 04-27-2012, 03:29 PM   #13

Steve91T is currently offline
    My Year: 1995
    My Model: Z202
    My Engine: 5.7 Alpha 1

Send Steve91T:
    a Private Message

Quote:
    Just wanted to mention that I did take some pictures that I will be posting later on when I get the time to do a DIY (do-it-yourself) article. Not only the lights but the swim platform as well.
    Awesome, that'd be great.

I just got off the phone with the guys at superbright. Very helpful. He said the courtesy lights are not the brightest, but I explained that is probably a good thing for the interior.

As for the anchor light, I told him I needed a shorter light and he told me about a 15 LED light that is basically the same thing as the 19, but it doesn't use high intensity bulbs, but they are 1/4" shorter. I'm going to get that along with the 19 and see what happens.

As for the pole light, he told me these are the way to go. Super bright. More expensive, but more better.

Check it out. The 45 led is 1.7" tall and .7" wide. I'm going to take my pole light apart and see if it'll fit.

1142-x45-T: 45HP-LED BA15D Tower Bulb
    TexasZ212 likes this.
    Old 04-27-2012, 03:46 PM   #14

Find me on the Map

Send TexasZ212:
    a Private Message

I already replaced the bulb in my pole light with a LED that "looked like that one", but naturally I can't remember the number of the bulb...it's a really really really bright one though.

Instead of using the auto extending pole light that came with the boat (4 footer), I use one that is 6 foot long so that it puts the light well above my line of sight if I look back at night. My pole light also has a deflector on it that directs the light outward and not down so it doesn't blind you at night.
    Old 04-27-2012, 03:51 PM   #15

Send Steve91T:
    a Private Message

Quote:
    I already replaced the bulb in my pole light with a LED that "looked like that one", but naturally I can't remember the number of the bulb...it's a really really really bright one though.

Instead of using the auto extending pole light that came with the boat (4 footer), I use one that is 6 foot long so that it puts the light well above my line of sight if I look back at night. My pole light also has a deflector on it that directs the light outward and not down so it doesn't blind you at night.
    That makes a lot of sense, I'll probably end up doing the same.
    Old 04-29-2012, 04:31 AM   #16

Brewfixer is currently offline
    Find me on the Map
    My Year: 2001
    My Model: Z222
    My Engine: 5.7
    Gallery Images: 18

Send Brewfixer:
    a Private Message

I too converted all my lights to LED including the console lights. The console lights were the trickiest because you have to be double jointed to reach up behind the console but the bleeding knuckles paid off. I also added LED's to all the cup holders and inside my speakers. Makes night time cruising very cool.

In about 2 weeks I will be mounting underwater LED's i purchased yesterday in the transom area.

The one caution that i will tell you is that some (actually just one that I found) LED's do have a power bleed as i found on my anchor light. My 2001 Shabah Z222 came equipped with the telescoping anchor light and one night while putting the boat away for the evening i noticed the light was dimly lit. If you have a battery switch and use it religiously, it should not be an issue. But if you dont, it will drain the battery fairly quick.
    Old 05-01-2012, 07:49 PM   #17

Send Steve91T:
    a Private Message

Got the LED lights installed. The 15 LED light fits perfectly in the transom light, no modification necessary. And the tall tower LED worked great for the anchor light.

Brewfixer, you're positive it's the LED lights that cause the power draw? I don't see how that's possible because no power is provided to the lights when the switch is off. Using the battery switch is still probably a good idea. I need to upgrade to dual batteries soon.

TexasZ212 likes this.
    Thank you Steve91T for this useful post!
    TexasZ212 (05-02-2012)
    Old 05-01-2012, 07:54 PM   #18

mikeyt is currently offline
    Find me on the Map
    My Year: 1996
    My Model: Shabah 180
    My Engine: 4.3
    Gallery Images: 14

Send mikeyt:
    a Private Message

Quote:
    Originally Posted by Brewfixer View Post
    I too converted all my lights to LED including the console lights. The console lights were the trickiest because you have to be double jointed to reach up behind the console but the bleeding knuckles paid off. I also added LED's to all the cup holders and inside my speakers. Makes night time cruising very cool.

In about 2 weeks I will be mounting underwater LED's i purchased yesterday in the transom area.

The one caution that i will tell you is that some (actually just one that I found) LED's do have a power bleed as i found on my anchor light. My 2001 Shabah Z222 came equipped with the telescoping anchor light and one night while putting the boat away for the evening i noticed the light was dimly lit. If you have a battery switch and use it religiously, it should not be an issue. But if you dont, it will drain the battery fairly quick.
    Is it possible that you may have some sort of short in the electrical connection for the power anchor light that might be bleeding power to the bulb?
    Old 05-01-2012, 08:21 PM   #19

Send Steve91T:
    a Private Message

I also wanted to add that superbrightled got my lights to me VERY quick. I placed the order on Friday and they were here on Monday. Doesn't get much better than that.
    Old 05-02-2012, 02:04 AM   #20

Brewfixer is currently offline
    Find me on the Map
    My Year: 2001
    My Model: Z222
    My Engine: 5.7
    Gallery Images: 18

Send Brewfixer:
    a Private Message

Quote:
    Originally Posted by mikeyt View Post
    Is it possible that you may have some sort of short in the electrical connection for the power anchor light that might be bleeding power to the bulb?

Well anything is possible but when I put a meter across the switch I had nothing. However I did not do a continuity test to ground but you bet this weekend I will.