Want to get rid of the ads? Become a member by registering today.
The Mariah Owners Club

Forum Left Top

Welcome to the The Mariah Owners Club.

Smart Tabs

Original Mariah Talk

Old 07-30-2010, 01:54 PM   #121

oneilld is currently offline
My Year: 2008
My Model: RS 181
My Engine: 4.3 MERCRUISER
Gallery Images: 0

Send oneilld:
a Private Message

Default Re: Smart Tabs

Is there any issues with dry storage at the marina and smart tabs? I'd like to get a set but if they store in the down position is there a chance they could be damaged coming out of the water via fork lift?
  • Old 07-30-2010, 04:44 PM   #122

Phlorida is currently offline
    Find me on the Map
    My Year: 1995
    My Model: 250 Sundancer
    My Engine: 5.7L Bravo II

Send Phlorida:
    a Private Message

I had the same concerns and so did my marina. I came very close to replacing mine with hydraulic tabs and decided to wait and replace them if they broke. I have my boat taken out of dry storage at least once a week and no issues so far.
    Old 07-30-2010, 11:20 PM   #123

coolfish is currently offline
    Find me on the Map
    My Year: 1994
    My Model: barchetta 182
    My Engine: 4.3 merc alpha 1

Send coolfish:
    a Private Message

Red face Re: Smart Tabs

In response to the last post, you could always remove them when putting the boat into storage or in someone elses care. The pins seem to come out easily and you could just leave the brackets attached. They should never be damaged this way.

Anyway, I own a 1994 Barchetta 186 which I bought last year. It has a 4.3 merc 2 bbl with a 14 1/2 19" aluminum prop. It planed terribly and would not level out at all with 2 adults in the back. I was always asking the kids or the wife to go up front until I could get up on plane. It would never pull an adult up on skis. The top end is good and the rpms are also good. I tried putting a whale tail hydro foil on last year but it only made a bit of difference. Still could not get a skier out of the water. The foil also cause a bit of a port side list when an adult was seated in the middle passener seat. What to do?????

I read the smart tab threads and decided to purchase a set of composite (SX) 60's. I put them on this morning without much difficulty ( instructions are simple if you were pondering a do it yourself). They cost me $119 plus shipping on Ebay from Texpro Marine Inc. in Port Dover Canada. I am hoping (praying) that these are the solution to all of the world's problems. Everyone else seems to think they are great. I did remove my hydrofoil as recommended by Smart Tabs manufacturer. I will try the boat out on Saturday and post my results. I may need a different prop as well as I want a better hole shot and fast palne and do not care too much about top end speed.
    Old 07-30-2010, 11:44 PM   #124

wplaine is currently offline
    Find me on the Map
    My Year: 1996
    My Model: Z215 Talari
    My Engine: 5.7L Bravo III
    Gallery Images: 15

Send wplaine:
    a Private Message

5 bucks says you wont need a new prop. I was in the same "boat" and OMG the tabs are the bomb (and I dont even have stock in them)
    Old 07-31-2010, 05:30 PM   #125

Find me on the Map

Send coolfish:
    a Private Message

Ok, I put the boat back in the water with the smart tabs on and the hydrofoil removed. Still can't come to grips with drilling holes in the hull below the water line but oh well it's already done.

Performance is much better. Planes quicker and speed about the same. No porpoising and boat steers awesome now. Fells like I'm riding on the smart tabs only. Turning is tight and smooth. Would still like a faster jump out of the hole. Still not sure I could pull an adult up on skis.
    Overall the smart tabs are great. Worth the $120 for sure. Will have to play around a bit to get a really good feel for them as I just drove from the launch to my dock. Gave the boat a wash/wax while out of the water as well.

Shawn
    Old 08-01-2010, 02:13 AM   #126

sharpvet03 is currently offline
    Find me on the Map
    My Model: Talari 200
    My Engine: 4.3 LX

Send sharpvet03:
    a Private Message

When I try to make a sharp U turn, around 20 mph to get back to a fallen tuber/skier, my 95 Talari 200 will lean to the inside of the turn more than any other boat I have had. I end up having to slow way down and take alot wider of a turn than I want to, to stop my own wake from catching up with me and me trying to cut through it while turning. My boat is leaning so bad I am afraid a wave hitting it could almost knock it over.
    Do all Mariahs do this or do all Talaris do this or is it just my boat? Will Smart Tabs help keep my boat a little flater during sharper turns?
    Old 08-01-2010, 02:11 PM   #127

nglauer is currently offline
    Find me on the Map
    My Year: 2001
    My Model: 180 Diablo
    My Engine: 3.0L Alpha one

Send nglauer:
    a Private Message

Quote:
    Originally Posted by sharpvet03 View Post
    When I try to make a sharp U turn, around 20 mph to get back to a fallen tuber/skier, my 95 Talari 200 will lean to the inside of the turn more than any other boat I have had. I end up having to slow way down and take alot wider of a turn than I want to, to stop my own wake from catching up with me and me trying to cut through it while turning. My boat is leaning so bad I am afraid a wave hitting it could almost knock it over.
    Do all Mariahs do this or do all Talaris do this or is it just my boat? Will Smart Tabs help keep my boat a little flater during sharper turns?

I think I could drown my boat cutting a turn to sharp. It really dips into the water when making one... luckily the river is plenty wide for making gradual turns. I'm not sure if the Smart tabs will help, but I believe they show them helping level a boat out in turns. If so that'd be a huge plus. I'm sure someone can give you feedback on their experience.
    Old 08-01-2010, 02:19 PM   #128

Brianwelch is currently offline
    My Model: Z210 tarali
    My Engine: 5.7 alpha 1

Send Brianwelch:
    a Private Message

I installed ss steel trim tabs on my Z210 1995. You need to modify them, drilling and cutting stainless. I happen to have a machine shop so not a problem for me. If I was on the driveway this will be a little tough. after that you will need to re shock them due to new angle of them. if you have any questions feel free to call (815) 955-4336. The work is well worth i. good luck
    Old 08-01-2010, 03:22 PM   #129

Find me on the Map

Send coolfish:
    a Private Message

My Barchetta 182 BR also felt like it was going to tip when I made a sharp left turn when tubing. As the driver I felt like I way way too high off the water and anyone in the middle passenger seat had a look of panic on their face. The composite SX trim tabs seemed to fix this completely. Turning is very smooth and tighter. The left tab seems to just hold that left rear side up where it is supposed to be and keeps the boat level. GET SOME SMART TABS GUYS!!
    Shawn
    Old 08-06-2010, 12:32 AM   #130

Find me on the Map

Send coolfish:
    a Private Message

Unhappy Re: Smart Tabs

Ok, Smart Tabs are great but as I said previously, I don't think that they have resolved all of my problems. I was out for a ride and I had my wife and her friend in the back seat and me driving. I had three kids (under 10 years old) on a large tube and I could barely get up on plane. The motor seems to just not have enough uumph to get up and planed out. Once I'm up on plane there is no problem and the boat handles great. My speed and RPMs are good. Actually getting 5000 RPM which is a couple hundred more than max RPM.

The boat is a 182 Barchetta bowrider. The motor is a 4.3 litre 2 BBL with alpha 1 drive. Not sure of gear ratio. I believe that the prop is 14" with 19" pitch aluminum (rebuilt at least 5 times).

Any advice on what to try? Will setting the trim tabs on a higher setting help? I am thinking that it is not that simple as the boat just seems to lack the power out of the hole. Perhaps my motor is just tired (doesn't have an hour guage). Thinking a different prop will be the fix.

Shawn