The Mariah Owners Club

The Mariah Owners Club (http://www.mariahownersclub.com/forum/)
-   Original Mariah Talk (http://www.mariahownersclub.com/forum/original-mariah-talk/)
-   -   Smart Tabs (http://www.mariahownersclub.com/forum/original-mariah-talk/136-smart-tabs.html)

indykoch 07-25-2007 05:23 PM

Smart Tabs

I'm looking to add Smart Tabs on my '99 Z212 Shabah. I know some of you have here, and there are a lot of others on those lowely, plain-jane, generic, boating boards (not a Mariah specific board :D). Most have claimed incredible improvements to bow lift, low speed wander, even top end! Looking at the stern of my sculpted hull, I'm questioning the fit. I'm also wandering about swim ladder obstruction, and the possibility of using composite (SX series) to help prevent cuts/bruises if accidentaly hit with your leg.

Anyone have thoughts? I strongly believe in the product after reading all the reviews, but I'm questioning how/where they'd fit on mine and if the composite types would work. Anyone own a 212 with these? Pictures, if so?

Thanks!!

Ryan

ShabahZ280 07-25-2007 06:32 PM

3 Attachment(s)
It seems to me I remember seeing someone who was installing them on a Mariah on TB's forum a few weeks ago, and they ran into a snag with mounting them, but Nauticus helped them out... Might want to search for that one.

One thing I never figured out, all the tab manufacturers say to mount the tabs as far out on each side as you can. However Mariah's ordered from the factory with the tab package, they were mounted right down next to the outdrive on the transom. (See first attached pic)

I've seen tabs mounted everywhere on the stern (attached some pics), so I'm kinda wondering if maybe the smart tabs could be located in different places as well?

On a side note, I saw ShipShapeTV a few weeks ago, they were replacing the smart tabs they had installed because there were some adverse affects while reversing. :confused:

indykoch 07-25-2007 07:33 PM

I had looked all over TB's site - Yes, there were numerous ones with installation problems and questions, but I never found one of my same boat. I'm sure there's a way, I just wanted to see if anyone else experienced it yet on the 212.

You pointed out one of my concerns... they say to mount them as far from the middle as possible, but I'm worried about the underside of the swim platform getting in the way. Then, I wouldn't have the ideal set-up and may not get the performance expected/experienced by others. The hydralic ones don't have this because of the way they work.

I'm sure John at Nauticus will do anything to help, I don't have any fears of the owner not supporting his product (I've seen tons of helpful replies and him personally working solutions). However, I don't want to drill holes in my hull and not be completely satisfied with the outcome.

I've read about many people concerned about backing issues, but all were from people who don't have them. It seems everyone who does have them say they have improved steering in reverse with no ill effects. I don't see myself trying to do 30 MPH in reverse anytime soon, so I'll take that rumor with a grain of salt (Bennett probably paid ShipShapeTV - that show is more of a commercial than useful information IMO).

ShabahZ280 07-25-2007 07:49 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by indykoch (Post 344)
(Bennett probably paid ShipShapeTV - that show is more of a commercial than useful information IMO).

You're exactly right. As a matter of fact, Bennett is an advertiser. How ironic.

But I have read many great things about the Smart Tabs, and I would recommend them for a boat your size. The reversing issue is probably a minimal one. Drop them an email with your situation and see what they offer! Maybe we could convince John at Nauticus to head over to the board and answer questions for us! Or maybe even take your boat up to them, they're in Ohio!

mikeyt 07-25-2007 09:08 PM

Hi Guys

I installed the Smart Tabs SX version on my boat and have had some problems. Apparently the 80lb actuators are too strong for mine (despite what Nauticus' own sizing chart tells you) and caused too much stern lift thus forcing the bow down. I've spoken with John at Nauticus on Monday & he suggested a drop down to the 60lb actuators and stated he would send them out to me the same day free of charge. He 'promises' i will see a planing & performance improvement. If they are installed correctly then they should not present a problem when backing up at idle speed or slightly above, at least i didn't experience that problem. I would suggest calling him first just to confirm exactly which ones / size you should order and you could send him an email with a picture of your rear end (the boat's rear end!) to confirm where they should be installed. I'll see if i can upload a pic of my installation (if it's not too big!)
http://www.mariahownersclub.com/gall...SX_install.jpg

Z 202 07-25-2007 10:22 PM

I'll be interested to see how the opinions develop in this thread.

I see everyone rave about the benefits, but I'm still not sold, at least for me. I look at my transom and think the install will be a kludge at best.

I have no complaints about my hole shot, my boat gets up on plane in seconds. Maybe it's the 5.7 power.

I would be interesed in improvements in low speed planing. Mine falls off plane below about 20 mph, but I'm rarely cruisin' down that low... :D

180diablo 07-26-2007 12:16 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by indykoch (Post 342)
Most have claimed incredible improvements to bow lift, low speed wander, even top end!

So that low speed wander is a normal condition ?????

I thought it was something wrong with the alignment of my sterndrive on the boat or the effects of the river moving under the hull.

When driving up the river at my cottage going about 1500-1800rpm range, if i lock the steering wheel in one position, take my hands off and let the boat drive itself, it will wander from left .... to right ... to left and sometimes stick in one direction and I have to compensate to avoid going into something. I was starting to wonder if it was even possible to drive this thing straight w/o looking like I was drunk.. lol.

indykoch 07-26-2007 05:11 PM

Yes, "low speed wonder" is perfectly normal on single engine, single prop boats. It has something to do with the prop spinning to the right, forcing the boat forward. The prop starts pushing the rear to the left, then comes back like a rubber band (for lack of better words). No, you're not drunk.

I hear dual prop setups don't do this, and are much better controlled in reverse. Maybe the next boat....

180diablo 07-26-2007 05:21 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by indykoch (Post 361)
Yes, "low speed wander" is perfectly normal on single engine, single prop boats. It has something to do with the prop spinning to the right, forcing the boat forward. The prop starts pushing the rear to the left, then comes back like a rubber band (for lack of better words). No, you're not drunk.

I hear dual prop setups don't do this, and are much better controlled in reverse. Maybe the next boat....

Hmmm, well so much for trying to diagnose why my boat is doing that then. So I guess I just deal with it and continually steer to compenstate for it. I will have to let my gf know about that, because she was saying my "over-steer" was getting better... lol.

Well the reason why I said someone might think I was drunk, was because of the boat constantly pivoting side to side. If someone watches my prop wash, its one big constant " S " line. Also, I wasnt sure if I would be confusing other boaters coming at me. They might think I was going to hit them head on when its the boat doing it, not me. We still pass with more then enough room, but just sometimes I wonder.

So does this only affect I/O's or do OB's suffer that as well? I had an older 70hp OB boat for a test drive over a year ago and it didnt seem like it did that.

indykoch 07-26-2007 06:57 PM

Forgot to mention... Don't try compensating or correcting it. The best thing to do is hold the wheel straight (maybe a tad bit of pressure to one side) and let it do it's dance. If you try correcting it, you'll usually make it worse. Keep thinking of that rubberband - trying to correct it will be like stretching the rubberband further, then it comes back the other way faster and with more momentum.

Don't know why, but I've also experienced outboards that don't seem to do it as bad. I think it has something to do with the hull. A deeper V or heavier boat may be worse than a lighter, flatter hull on something like a bass boat.

BTW - I was joking about the drunk comment. ;) I know what you mean, though. I'm sure I've confused boaters, just as they've confused me because of the back and forth movement.