Want to get rid of the ads? Become a member by registering today.
The Mariah Owners Club

Forum Left Top

Welcome to the The Mariah Owners Club.

Boat won't start

Mercury MerCruiser

Old 01-26-2019, 08:36 PM   #1

NewbieTalariOwner is currently offline
My Year: 1996
My Model: Talari z215
Gallery Images: 0

Send NewbieTalariOwner:
a Private Message

Default Boat won't start

So, new to boating, but I can manage my way around an engine. Picked up a 1996 talari. It was running good. First time i took it out, I forgot the drain plug. Rookie mistake I'll never make again. It filled the engine compartment up with water. So took it home and drained it. It wouldn't start after that, just click. So I put new batteries and spark plugs in it. Then I changed the starter cause the water shorted it. Checked all the fluid levels. At home with the hose on it, I started it up and fired up instantly. No problem. Let it run for a couple minutes, ran it up to 2000rpm. No sputtering or anything. Purrs like a kitten. That was on a Tuesday. Saturday I take it down to the water (40 minute drive) , it won't start. Turns over just fine. But never sounds like it fires, no catches or anything. To me it sounds like I'm not getting spark. I pulled the plug and I smell gas and the plug is wet with gas. So I think it's getting gas. I thought maybe it's flooded so I turned it over for a minute with no gas to it. I tried spraying starter fluid in it, no pop or catch, just sounded the same. Is there an electrical connection I'm missing? I checked all my breakers i think. I'm going to pull the spark plug and see if it gets any spark, I just have to wait for a friend to come over. Any other ideas? Between Tuesday and Saturday the only thing that changed was a bouncy car ride to the dock. Anywhere particular I should look for loose connections? Appreciate the help.

Last edited by NewbieTalariOwner; 01-26-2019 at 08:39 PM.
  • Old 01-27-2019, 12:31 PM   #2

Hudson River Steve is currently offline
    Find me on the Map
    My Year: 1999
    My Model: Z280
    My Engine: 7.4L MPI Bravo3
    Gallery Images: 5

Send Hudson River Steve:
    a Private Message

Default Re: Boat won't start

Is the kill switch on the throttle working correctly and in the run position?

Sent from my XT1254 using Tapatalk
    Old 01-27-2019, 04:16 PM   #3

Send NewbieTalariOwner:
    a Private Message

It is in the on position. It worked on Tuesday. Does anyone know where the wires to the switch goes or have a diagram?
    Old 01-27-2019, 10:37 PM   #4

Send NewbieTalariOwner:
    a Private Message

Here's the update. I took the spark plug out and turned it over, it is getting really good spark. But when I was doing it, the engine caught and almost started. I plugged it back in and it caught again but didn't start. So I gave it a break and tried again. And nothing. Just turns over forever. I had my dad manually open the choke. When he did that he noticed the left side of the carb, inside under the choke flap, was dripping gas pretty aggressively. However, the right side wasn't. Then when I stopped turning it over it continued to drip for about 20 seconds. It did this everytime I turned it over. I don't think it is supposed to do this, cause it's only on one side. I'm thinking it is flooding it. Maybe a stuck float or something.
    Anybody got any ideas? I know the previous owner sprayed fogging down it for the winter. Could that bind up the carb?
    Is a carb cleaning/rebuild easy enough to do or should I just pay to have someone do it?
    Thanks again for any help.
    Old 02-03-2019, 03:24 PM   #5

pole trick is currently offline
    My Model: 180 Shabah
    My Engine: 4.3 Merc

Send pole trick:
    a Private Message

If you don't got manual, get one or goto local library and hope fully they have one. Most of the library by me have outboard and stern drive manuals..pretty cool just check it out for a few days and you get fixed...mercuriser carbs are built very close to standard car carbs..same rebuild type procedure.