Want to get rid of the ads? Become a member by registering today.
The Mariah Owners Club

Forum Left Top

Welcome to the The Mariah Owners Club.

Starter Clicking won't start??

General Maintenance

Old 07-29-2009, 01:16 PM   #1

Lake Norman Thunder is currently offline
My Model: 2001 25.5 Shabah Z 496
Gallery Images: 0

Send Lake Norman Thunder:
a Private Message

Default Starter Clicking won't start??

Thanks in advance for any feedback!

I think it may be a fuse issue but that is only a guess! I was pulling into the dock & stopped to wait for some others to get situated when I went to crank the boat I think I heard a pop & then the starter wouldnt engage the engine & all I could hear was a click click click? Anyone ever have this issue & know the fix?

thanks again!!
  • Old 07-29-2009, 03:51 PM   #2

SEMIJim is currently offline
    My Year: 1994
    My Model: 182 Barchetta
    My Engine: 4.3L Alpha 1 Gen. 2
    Gallery Images: 0

Send SEMIJim:
    a Private Message

Default Re: Starter Clicking won't start??

Quote:
    Originally Posted by Lake Norman Thunder View Post
    I was pulling into the dock & stopped to wait for some others to get situated when I went to crank the boat I think I heard a pop & then the starter wouldnt engage the engine & all I could hear was a click click click?
    Don't know about the "pop," but here is how I believe your starter circuit is wired (that is: If it's the same as our '94 Barchetta): The starter motor is connected directly to the battery, with the positive side going through the starter relay (aka: "starter solenoid.) The starter relay is, of course, activated by the ignition switch. If your boat is like ours, it would appear the entire helm is master-fused by a 35A in-line fuse near the battery connection.

The *click* you hear, assuming it's coming from the engine space, would almost certainly be the starter relay pulling in when you turn the key. The fact that the starter motor's not turning can mean one of several things: Poor connection (the big, fat cables), bad starter, bad starter motor, possibly bad battery.

This is easy to trouble-shoot with a multi-meter. Here's how I'd do it: I'd set the meter to measure 12VDC and measure between the terminal where the big red cable from the battery connects, and ground. Then, being very careful to keep my limbs and loose clothing out of the way of potentially moving engine bits, I'd have somebody turn the key and see if the voltage stayed up. If it didn't, I'd know it was the connection/cabling between there and battery or, less likely, but possible, a bad battery. If it did, I'd then move the test point to the starter motor side of the starter relay and again ask to have the key turned. If I saw there the same voltage I saw on the battery side of the relay, I'd know it was either the cable between there and the starter motor or the starter motor itself.

Jim
    WSC likes this.