The Mariah Owners Club

The Mariah Owners Club (http://www.mariahownersclub.com/forum/)
-   Volvo Penta (http://www.mariahownersclub.com/forum/volvo-penta/)
-   -   Outdrive tried to jump ship (http://www.mariahownersclub.com/forum/volvo-penta/8490-outdrive-tried-jump-ship.html)

Rynovw 07-15-2013 07:54 PM

Outdrive tried to jump ship

1 Attachment(s)
So a last minute decision to run to the lake instead of prepping race cars may have been a costly one this weekend. we hit the ramp dump "OFF DUTY" into the wet and off we go WOT a crossed the main body it had a little funny vibration but i thought ok wind, water chop, load or just trimmed a lil high.
so we chopped the throttle kicked out a rope and was going to do a little wake skating/surfing but as soon as I started pulling my 120# boy up the boat shook and shuttered bad I knew something wasn't right so i pulled the trim tabs back up and tried again it was a little better but still not right. so we cruised back to the shop and prepped cars anyways LOL
Got up Sunday and started to tear her down ready to find a bad u joint but as i pulled the trim rams off the outdrive about fell off in my lap. as there was no pivot screw on the gimbal ring it some how jumped ship and the only thing holding on the outdrive was the trim rams and the trim sending unit (which hasn't work since I've had it) I was shocked and confused as to how that happened and glad it was to bad. well i hope.
So far the damage is a bearing on the drive shaft that sets in the transom shield (gimbal bearing)
and the missing gimbal pivot screw. but now heres the questions.
does the bearing press onto the driveshaft like as is now or press into the transom housing?

Does anybody have a manual to the Volvo Penta DP-SM 1.78 outdrive heck as long as im asking a manual for the motor too 8.2 GSi

Thanks Ryan

Andy b 07-15-2013 08:01 PM

Re: Outdrive tried to jump ship

Quote:

Originally Posted by Rynovw (Post 46727)

Does anybody have a manual to the Volvo Penta DP-SM
Thanks Ryan

yep :wink_thumbup:

mikeyt 07-15-2013 08:29 PM

Ouch. Sorry to hear about your weekend. As for the manual(s), did you have a look at the bottom of our Maintenance & Repair section? There is a link there for contributing members to all of our Volvo manuals.

ColoradoDiablo 07-15-2013 09:26 PM

The gimble bearing press fits into the gimble mount. If its froze to the driveshaft that aint good.
Check and make sure the mount where the gimble bearing fits is not worn away from the "vibration" you had.
It should fit snug in the mount.

Andy b 07-15-2013 10:09 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by mikeyt (Post 46729)
Ouch. Sorry to hear about your weekend. As for the manual(s), did you have a look at the bottom of our Maintenance & Repair section? There is a link there for contributing members to all of our Volvo manuals.

You don't have it mikey :D
I think you've got the motor manual, and that has a bit on drives.
But I don't think you have the full Volvo drives manual.
I could be wrong, it won't be the first time.....lol

mikeyt 07-15-2013 11:53 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Andy b (Post 46740)

I really didn't know for sure. I never look at the Volvo stuff given that i dont own one nor do i drive one of those boxy shaped GM designed behemoths. ;)

I'll have to look around & see if i can find a drives manual for the club.

mikeyt 07-16-2013 12:09 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Andy b (Post 46740)

We do now! :wink_thumbup:

Rynovw 07-16-2013 12:34 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by mikeyt (Post 46729)

Oh I see it now thank you:D

Rynovw 07-16-2013 12:40 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by ColoradoDiablo (Post 46737)
The gimble bearing press fits into the gimble mount. If its froze to the driveshaft that aint good.
Check and make sure the mount where the gimble bearing fits is not worn away from the "vibration" you had.
It should fit snug in the mount.

Thanks Colorado, I'm on shift at the station today but order the bearing and will go by the marina in the morning and get fingers cross it fits tight. not looking forward to buying a transom shield or telling momma i have to buy one :eek_animated: good sign is it didn't look like it spun in there.
Thanks again for the info

Rynovw 07-20-2013 11:13 PM

Ok got everything replace and was going smooth till I went to stab the drive back in.
It goes all but the last inch and it just dead stop. Pulled it all apart thinking they gave me the wrong bearing but after pulling it it slides on just like the old one. The splines slide in easy also, but once I install the bearing it locks up again. So we started thinking motor needed realigned. We have tried everything nothing helped I'm at a lose. The manual read it should slide in and out easy. Any ideas.
If not I guess it goes to the shop Monday.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk HD