Want to get rid of the ads? Become a member by registering today.
The Mariah Owners Club

Forum Left Top

Welcome to the The Mariah Owners Club.

Towing Capacity Question

Trailering and Tow Vehicles

Old 02-03-2009, 02:46 PM   #1

abillmann is currently offline
Find me on the Map
Gallery Images: 0

Send abillmann:
a Private Message

Default Towing Capacity Question

Hey all,

As the new owner of a '91 1900 ZS, I've got a towing capacity question for y'all:

When trailered, the boat comes in at about 3100 pounds. I'm looking at a vehicle with a 3500-pound capacity. Is that a mistake? Or is that enough power? I really don't want a monster SUV or big pickup, because for about 350 days of the year, I won't be towing anything.

90% of the time, the towing distance will be less than 50 miles, but several times a year I'd like to take it on a longer trip... maybe 400 miles.

So... when a vehicle is rated for 3500 pounds, does that mean "Yeah, it'll work for 3500 pounds, but keep the distance/inclines to a minimum." Or does it mean, "You can pretty much go anywhere, any distance."

Any insights very much appreciated.
  • Old 02-03-2009, 03:33 PM   #2

ShabahZ280 is currently offline
    Find me on the Map
    My Year: 1999
    My Model: Z280 MCC
    My Engine: 7.4L MPI Bravo III
    Gallery Images: 1564

Send ShabahZ280:
    a Private Message

That's definitely getting close to max towing capacity on that vehicle. And chances are, it doesn't have enough power to tow you 400miles without some trouble. Throw in some mountains, or hilly terrain, and you'll *definitely* have issues.

I would consider upgrading to something with at least a 5000lb capacity. You can find a lot of small SUV's with towing capacity in that range, ie Ford Explorer, Jeep Grand Cherokee, etc. When you step up to a higher towing capacity, you're getting a vehicle that's more suited for mid-size towing, with larger brakes, transmission cooler, gear ratios, etc. Look for large V6 or small V8 engines. When I had my Jeep Grand Cherokee, I could tow 6500lbs, and could still maintain about 17mpg around the city when I wasn't towing. Small enough to fit in parking garages and easier to maneuver than a pickup truck.

What vehicle in particular are you looking at? Perhaps we could help you out!
    -Formerly known as ShabahZ250
    -USCG Licensed 50 Ton Near Coastal Master Captain with Towing Certification
    Old 02-03-2009, 04:48 PM   #3

Find me on the Map

Send abillmann:
    a Private Message

I'm looking at three options:

Honda Pilot (3500# capacity)
    Toyota Highlander (3500# capacity)
    Toyota 4Runner (5000# capacity)

I know the 4Runner would have a much easier time...I just don't know if I want that MUCH of a vehicle for the other 11.8 months of the year! I could probably forgo any 400-mile pulls and borrow a friend's F-150 for those, but I'd really like to do 60-mile pulls without any problems. Would that still be putting too much strain on a V6 AWD Highlander?
    Old 02-03-2009, 04:50 PM   #4

Find me on the Map

Send abillmann:
    a Private Message

Sorry... the Pilot's capacity is 4500 lbs.

Hmmm.... maybe that's the way to go?
    Old 02-03-2009, 06:41 PM   #5

lomitabob is currently offline
    Find me on the Map
    My Model: 2001 Z250 Shabah 7.4LMPI Bravo I
    Gallery Images: 12

Send lomitabob:
    a Private Message

Also remember that capacity includes all the gear and fuel on the boat and performance is often affected by the number of passengers and their gear. It is easy to overload the rig when on a long trip.
    Old 02-03-2009, 07:43 PM   #6

Find me on the Map

Send ShabahZ280:
    a Private Message

I have seen quite a few discussions on "another board" regarding the Honda Pilot and it's possibility as a tow vehicle. If you Click Here you can visit that "other board" and search for yourself. I never really read a lot regarding it, but the general consensus is that it's an OK tow vehicle. Some of them do come with interesting options like a back up camera. However since it's a newer model, you might get a higher price tag. Another thing to consider is the lack of a low range 4wd. On a slippery ramp, you'll appreciate a true low range 4wd vs the AWD. But still, AWD is better than 2wd!

I say look into the 4Runner. Better towing package, better suspension, and a much more stable ride. And if you get a case of "two foot-itis" and need to upgrade to a larger boat anytime, you'll be set. Plus, they've been making the 4Runner since 1984, so the chances of finding a used one within your price range might be better.

It really depends on the terrain you'll be towing through. If it's fairly flat, the Pilot might do fine. However if you've got ANY hills you'll appreciate the 4Runner a little more. For the long trips, borrow your friend's F-150!
    Old 02-04-2009, 12:39 AM   #7

22empire is currently offline
    Find me on the Map
    My Model: 2000 Shabah 183 4.3L Alpha

Send 22empire:
    a Private Message

Default Cross-Over vs SUV

This is always a tricky thing to figure out. I just went through the exact same thing. A couple of things to think about. The Cross-overs (Pilot & Highlander) will serve you well as a daily driver and willl tow your boat to the ramp and put it in and out. But the 3500lbs is pretty close to your total tow rating. Don't forget your total GVWR also requires you to subtract out the weight of everything else in your vehicle. Kids, camping gear etc.

Also in addition to the Cross overs having a lower Gross Vehicle Weight Rating they default to front wheel drive, unless they sense slip. That means that all the tug, push and pull of your boat is going to go straight into you transmission through the small little drive shafts and CV joint. No matter how good your tranny coolers is it will not combat this mechanical abuse. Pilots share their drive line with the Oddysey, which has some tranny issues when towing. The Towing capacity of this vehicle is indeed 3500lbs, and only 4500lbs when pulling a boat (no I don't know how it knows..). The Highlander has the same issues, as it is also based on a car chasis.

So, if your main concern is towing. Buy a traditional truck based mid-sized SUV, rear wheel drive. Look for a 5000 lb towing capacity.

I ended up buying a 2008 Nissan Pathfinder. 266 horspower V6, I am averaging 19 mpg and it can tow 6000lbs. I chose this vehicle over the Pilot because of the chasis and the towing. Hopefully this helps a little. Happy Hunting..
    Old 02-04-2009, 12:51 AM   #8

Captain Steve is currently offline
    Gallery Images: 14

Send Captain Steve:
    a Private Message

Default Toyota 4Runner

I towed my Z210 extensively using a 2007 4Runner with the V6. My boat/trailer weight 4,600 pounds, which is close to the Toyota's 5,000 pound towing capacity. It still feels good though, and the full small truck underpinnings are very comforting to me. The 4x4 on the ramps is almost indispensable IMHO.

The nice thing about the 4Runner is that it handles and rides very well, and is my dainty wife's 99 percent of the time. She gets 18 mpg in all city driving. On the highway I can baby it and get 25 mpg. With the boat in tow I see about 12 or 13 mpg.
    Old 02-04-2009, 02:25 PM   #9

indykoch is currently offline
    Find me on the Map
    My Model: Z212 Shabah
    My Engine: 350 Magnum Alpha One
    Gallery Images: 18

Send indykoch:
    a Private Message

This is all great info and very true. Just to add my thoughts and experiences...

When I first bought my Z212, I didn't have an actual tow vehicle. I used my wife's '06 Chrysler Town & Country minivan which has a tow rating of 3800 lbs. for the few short trips that were necessary. I'll be honest, that thing towed it quite well! But, here are some points that reiterate what's been said. The wheelbase is one of the major factors in tow ratings. That minivan has a long wheelbase, and is very stable while towing. The engine had "plenty" of grunt to get the boat moving, no real issue there. However, the brakes weren't so great, and I swear I heard the transmission screaming "help" a few times, which are the Achilles heels of most cross-overs and minivans. A real truck will have much stronger transmissions, brakes, suspensions, etc. to actually handle the load you're pulling.

My Jeep Grand Cherokee that I now have will pull the boat all over with no problems, except for the short wheelbase! It will bounce and sway quite a bit if I'm not careful. In that regard, the van was actually better. But I feel much safer and confident in the Jeep making it to my destination than the van.

A 3500 lb. rating will be too low in my opinion. Yes, it would be able to do it. But only at the expense of lesser reliability and safety.
    Currently - '07 Ebbtide 2600 CBR
    Old 02-04-2009, 08:47 PM   #10

Find me on the Map

Send ShabahZ280:
    a Private Message

indykoch brings up a GREAT point regarding wheelbase. you'll definitely get more sway with a shorter wheelbase, and if you've never towed before, sway can really suck, especially if it gets out of control. Ever heard the term "The Tail Wags the Dog"? Not fun to experience in real life. You'll definitely appreciate the stronger truck components to help alleviate sway issues.
    nonwin1973 and Jmkhiggs like this.