Want to get rid of the ads? Become a member by registering today.
The Mariah Owners Club

Forum Left Top

Welcome to the The Mariah Owners Club.

prop for merc 4.3 Alpha 1

Prop Talk

Old 06-30-2012, 02:54 AM   #1

kgore is currently offline
My Year: 2006
My Model: sx19
My Engine: 4.3 Mercruiser
Gallery Images: 0

Send kgore:
a Private Message

Default prop for merc 4.3 Alpha 1

I am so glad to be apart of your community I have a 2006 SX19 that I love. I currently have a 14 x 23 prop which currently does
not perform as I would like when I have more than 4 peopl or am trying to pull a towable. I would be interested to hear any advice on the prop I should get for my boat. Thank you for aany direction you can provide I am considering a 21 and 19 pitch. Before you ask the WTO is 4200.
  • Old 06-30-2012, 03:47 AM   #2

mikeyt is currently offline
    Find me on the Map
    My Year: 1996
    My Model: Shabah 180
    My Engine: 4.3
    Gallery Images: 14

Send mikeyt:
    a Private Message

Default Re: prop for merc 4.3 Alpha 1

First off i would suggest that you read the 'sticky' at the top of this forum & educate yourself on prop selection. Its not rocket science and most of the links in the sticky can give you a basic understanding of selecting a prop for your boat.

Second, yours is a pretty common question here. Bottom line is that your engine has a recommended WOT range of 4400-4800 and its clear that you are below that range. As a result your engine is working much harder than it should to get your boat moving & to maintain speed. So the solution is fairly simple & you have identified that you need to reduce the pitch of your prop to get better performance. As a general guidance, for every 1" drop in pitch you will get a corresponding 200 (give or take up to50) increase in your WOT rpms. You need to get yours up into the 4600 - 4800 range where the engine & prop combination operates most efficiently. A 19" 3 blade prop should have you right around 4950rpms and a 21" around 4600. Being slightly over your recommended range wont hurt as long as you dont run the boat at WOT for any length of time. Running at WOT for any length of time causes excessive wear & tear on your mechanicals and is a fuel waster.

Most members here run a 19" 3 blade. Some of us run a 20" - 4 blade (extra blade = extra bite), there are a few here that run a 21" 3 blade (used mostly for cruising) and if i remember right one person here runs a 23" (but he's a bit odd ). I would suggest that if you use your boat for pulling tubes/wakeboarders/skiiers or generally have 4 or more adults in it, that you consider using a 19" - 3 blade or a 20" - 4 blade.

The following are general rules of thumb:
    Lower pitch = faster holeshot, better planing ability, increased rpms, lower top speed.
    Higher pitch = slower holeshot, slower planing ability, lower rpms, faster top speed.
    3 blades are generally the most efficient props. 4 blades provide extra bite but cause extra drag which usually results in a slightly lower top speed when compared with the same pitch 3 blade.
    Cupped blades provide extra bite & reduce ventilation as well as allowing you to trim up just a bit more. They also reduce the effect of pitch change.
    Aluminum is the least expensive prop material for general use and provides good performance.
    SS props costs more but usually provides slightly better performance.
    Composite props (IMHO) are good for spare "get me home" props only.

There is also another option which helps with planing ability and improved low speed control and that involves the installation of a pair of Smart Tabs. Many of our members here with 18-22' boats have installed them (me included) and are very happy with the additional benefits they provide. Cost is usually just under $150, installation takes about 30 - 45 mins and its DIY. You can do a site search for Smart Tabs or read about them/watch the video here at the Nauticus website. If interested, your boat will use the Smart Tabs SX version with the 60# actuator arms.
    Hunter12345 and Firestone like this.

Last edited by mikeyt; 06-30-2012 at 02:42 PM.
    The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to mikeyt For This Useful Post:
    Firestone (07-09-2016), kgore (06-30-2012)
    Old 06-30-2012, 04:07 AM   #3

kgore is currently offline
    My Year: 2006
    My Model: sx19
    My Engine: 4.3 Mercruiser

Send kgore:
    a Private Message

Sounds like I should go with 19 pitch for general use. What top end speed should I expect with a 19 pitch? Thanks!
    Firestone likes this.

Last edited by kgore; 06-30-2012 at 04:14 AM.
    Old 06-30-2012, 02:33 PM   #4

Find me on the Map

Send mikeyt:
    a Private Message

A 19" pitch 3 blade should have you around 47-48mph. A 20" 4 blade about the same and a 21" - 3blade "should" hit 49-50 but your holeshot & midrange response wont be near as good as the 19 or 20.
    Firestone likes this.
    Old 06-22-2016, 04:08 AM   #5

Tess is currently offline
    My Year: 2001
    My Model: 180
    My Engine: 4.3L alpha one

Send Tess:
    a Private Message

Quote:
    Originally Posted by mikeyt View Post
    First off i would suggest that you read the 'sticky' at the top of this forum & educate yourself on prop selection. Its not rocket science and most of the links in the sticky can give you a basic understanding of selecting a prop for your boat.

Second, yours is a pretty common question here. Bottom line is that your engine has a recommended WOT range of 4400-4800 and its clear that you are below that range. As a result your engine is working much harder than it should to get your boat moving & to maintain speed. So the solution is fairly simple & you have identified that you need to reduce the pitch of your prop to get better performance. As a general guidance, for every 1" drop in pitch you will get a corresponding 200 (give or take up to50) increase in your WOT rpms. You need to get yours up into the 4600 - 4800 range where the engine & prop combination operates most efficiently. A 19" 3 blade prop should have you right around 4950rpms and a 21" around 4600. Being slightly over your recommended range wont hurt as long as you dont run the boat at WOT for any length of time. Running at WOT for any length of time causes excessive wear & tear on your mechanicals and is a fuel waster.

Most members here run a 19" 3 blade. Some of us run a 20" - 4 blade (extra blade = extra bite), there are a few here that run a 21" 3 blade (used mostly for cruising) and if i remember right one person here runs a 23" (but he's a bit odd ). I would suggest that if you use your boat for pulling tubes/wakeboarders/skiiers or generally have 4 or more adults in it, that you consider using a 19" - 3 blade or a 20" - 4 blade.

The following are general rules of thumb:
    Lower pitch = faster holeshot, better planing ability, increased rpms, lower top speed.
    Higher pitch = slower holeshot, slower planing ability, lower rpms, faster top speed.
    3 blades are generally the most efficient props. 4 blades provide extra bite but cause extra drag which usually results in a slightly lower top speed when compared with the same pitch 3 blade.
    Cupped blades provide extra bite & reduce ventilation as well as allowing you to trim up just a bit more. They also reduce the effect of pitch change.
    Aluminum is the least expensive prop material for general use and provides good performance.
    SS props costs more but usually provides slightly better performance.
    Composite props (IMHO) are good for spare "get me home" props only.

There is also another option which helps with planing ability and improved low speed control and that involves the installation of a pair of Smart Tabs. Many of our members here with 18-22' boats have installed them (me included) and are very happy with the additional benefits they provide. Cost is usually just under $150, installation takes about 30 - 45 mins and its DIY. You can do a site search for Smart Tabs or read about them/watch the video here at the Nauticus website. If interested, your boat will use the Smart Tabs SX version with the 60# actuator arms.

I was looking through the links from the sticky you posted. The recommended prop on the mercruiser prop guide for this boat and my boat shows up as a 13.25" 25 pitch 3 blade prop. If I go with the 19" 3 blade, what pitch would I want to get? (Ski boat) Do you have any recommendations on who to order a prop through?
    Firestone likes this.
    Old 06-25-2016, 02:14 AM   #6

Brian Belcher is currently offline
    My Year: 1997
    My Model: Z276
    My Engine: 7.4L Bravo III

Send Brian Belcher:
    a Private Message

Good response miket
    Firestone likes this.
    Old 06-25-2016, 11:48 AM   #7

Hunter12345 is currently offline
    My Year: 1998
    My Engine: 5.7l merc Bravo III
    Gallery Images: 2

Send Hunter12345:
    a Private Message

Mikeyt is right on the money as usual, 60 pound smart tabs are easy to install and really make a huge difference,
    If you are down in the states i recommend calling joe at hill marine, they are the go to prop company, knowledgable and priced well, read the customer reviews! Doesn't hurt to call them/ emailThey have an exchange policy that lets you tey the props, if you don't like you cans switch to a different pitch. Just tell them the size, rough weight, your wot rpm and what you want to do with your boat.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Firestone and Tess like this.
    Old 07-09-2016, 03:17 AM   #8

Find me on the Map

Send mikeyt:
    a Private Message

Quote:
    Originally Posted by Tess View Post
    I was looking through the links from the sticky you posted. The recommended prop on the mercruiser prop guide for this boat and my boat shows up as a 13.25" 25 pitch 3 blade prop. If I go with the 19" 3 blade, what pitch would I want to get? (Ski boat) Do you have any recommendations on who to order a prop through?
    19" is the pitch. The diameter will be approximately 14.25". I'm not sure what boat you have but most 18'-20' Mariahs with the 4.3, 5.0 and 5.7 run very well with a 19" 3 blade or a 20" 4 blade. The 4 blade makes it better for pulling wakeboards / skiiers to and if you combine that with a set of Smart Tabs it doesn't get much better than that.
    Firestone likes this.
    Old 07-09-2016, 03:22 AM   #9

Hunter12345 is currently offline
    My Year: 1998
    My Engine: 5.7l merc Bravo III
    Gallery Images: 2

Send Hunter12345:
    a Private Message

Quote:
    Originally Posted by Tess View Post

Lol! 23 pitch i wonder who that is? Same guy who's boat doesn't like water? [emoji12]

1998 shabah 180
    5.7l 350 mag
    Bravo III
    Firestone likes this.
    Old 07-09-2016, 03:27 AM   #10

Find me on the Map

Send mikeyt:
    a Private Message

Quote:
    Originally Posted by Hunter12345 View Post
    Lol! 23 pitch i wonder who that is? Same guy who's boat doesn't like water? [emoji12]

1998 shabah 180
    5.7l 350 mag
    Bravo III
    no, i cant remember who it was now cuz it was about 3-4 yrs ago when he said he ran a 23" on his 180 with a 4.3 and that prop gave him great acceleration out of the hole and he could hit 52mph at the same time. Someone must have changed the markings on that prop as a joke and swapped out his 4.3 for a 5.7 when he wasn't looking...
    Firestone likes this.