Want to get rid of the ads? Become a member by registering today.
The Mariah Owners Club

Forum Left Top

Welcome to the The Mariah Owners Club.

need prop Opinions (especially Mikeyt's)

Prop Talk

Old 04-14-2016, 01:23 AM   #1

gahooligan is currently offline
My Year: 1999
My Model: 202
My Engine: 5.7l
Gallery Images: 0

Send gahooligan:
a Private Message

Default need prop Opinions (especially Mikeyt's)

I want to know what you think/suggest, and yes... another friggin prop question. Let's hear what you have to say please.

I currently have a 14.25 21p aluminum mercury prop on my 1999 Shabah 202 5.7L. It works well for all around. decent holeshot (a tad slow) but pulls 225lbs guys out of the water on wakeboards out of the water no prob and pulls two tubes with ease. Has hit just overv 50 a few times. will lose speed in turn quickly when pulling, will blow out easy and will not trim all the way up. WOT RPMs are good.

I want a bit more performance off bottom and pulling. want to trim up more and quit blowing out on corners

So based on your opinions (Mikeyt) I am looking at the solas HR Titan 4 blade. 14 1/8... and here's the question 19p or 20p?? I am thinking 19 due to the cupping and I'm thinking the 20p won't be enough of a difference for me to have spent the $300.

I like going fast and I like pulling. I know I can't have both but from all the reviews and in your own words it seems the efficiency of the 19 4 blade may just get me better holeshot, better handling/performance/trim and probably match what my 3 blade aluminum 21p can do with 5 ppl in the boat... not to mention in a year and 1/2 I have added the tower, speakers, subs, amps, 2 big ass batteries, two heavy tubes, etc and am thinking of adding 600lbs ballasts... I have felt performance has dropped off the last year or so (except for when I didn't have all the **** in the boat... Hmm... lol) so maybe based solely on that and what I've added in weight the last two years, the 19p 4 blade solas may just be the way to go...

Your thoughts?? Thank you for your opinion, I value it a lot. and yes I have smart tabs, no I've never put a hydrofoil on an outdrive... lol.

Matt in GA
  • Old 04-14-2016, 08:06 PM   #2

jbkgmyers is currently offline
    My Year: 1994
    My Model: Shabah Z202
    My Engine: 5.7L 350Mag

Send jbkgmyers:
    a Private Message

Default Re: need prop Opinions (especially Mikeyt's)

Matt,

Excellent post....I have a 1994 Z202 Shabah with the 5.7mag (w/ a 21P SS Laser II prop), with the same questions regarding replacement prop selection.

I bought my boat last year and installed a tower as well. I use it 50/50 cruising and watersports. I currently get alot of porpoising when I 'm at cruising speeds. I have to trim down to stop it and then try to trim back up slowly, but it eventually starts bouncing again, so I can never trim up to get the bow out of the water.
    Did you have that problem also; if so, did the Smart Tabs help? I'd greatly appreciate your thoughts and recommendations on the Smart Tabs. I contacted Nauticus last week and they recommend the 80# Composite tabs (SX9510-80) over the Stainless ones (ST1290-80). When I questioned why, his response was basically that they'll perform the same and the only difference is prices due to the different material.

I'm sorry I'm not helping YOU at all as far as your question on prop pitch, but I'd appreciate any recommendations you have. I look forward to seeing repsonses tp your post as far as prop pitch, I'll be buying a new prop in addition to the tabs.

Thanks,
    Jeff (from MI)
    Old 04-15-2016, 02:43 PM   #3

Motoxxx43 is currently offline
    Find me on the Map
    My Year: 2000
    My Model: Shabah 250
    My Engine: 7.4 MPI Bravo I
    Gallery Images: 11

Send Motoxxx43:
    a Private Message

Hooligan- If I were to tackle a prop selection issue personally I would be using either a local company with great prop selection or seeking advice from B Blades (or similar). They have policy that allows you to basically use a prop and return it till you get the one you want. That's probably your best bet.
    I have a feeling a four blade may be in your future.

Meyers- Smart tabs are the answer to your battle with trim and porpoising. If you wakeboard understand they will change your wake. It's becomes flat. At least on my boat it did.

Sent from my XT1585 using Tapatalk
    Old 04-15-2016, 02:47 PM   #4

Send jbkgmyers:
    a Private Message

Thanks Motoxxx43. In researching the forum, I see some people went down to the 60# springs vs the Nauticaus recommeded 80#'s. Any recommendations on that?
    Old 04-15-2016, 03:09 PM   #5

Find me on the Map

Send Motoxxx43:
    a Private Message

I have run both on my boat. Currently running #80 an they work good. The #60 were a little light for what I wanted.

Old 04-15-2016, 11:56 PM   #6

Send jbkgmyers:
    a Private Message

Moto....what size Mariah do you have?
    Old 04-16-2016, 12:39 AM   #7

Find me on the Map

Send Motoxxx43:
    a Private Message

25' shabah it's around 4500-5000 lbs

Old 04-16-2016, 02:14 AM   #8

Send gahooligan:
    a Private Message

Quote:
    Originally Posted by Motoxxx43 View Post
    25' shabah it's around 4500-5000 lbs

LOL. This is why moto runs 80# and I run 60# on a 202 he's got 5 more feet of boat than us!

I bought the 60's based on the posts in that huge smart tabs thread that I actually read in it entirety. lol. I run the 60#'s on the lightest setting. Probably could even go to 40"'s but they work well at the lightest 60" setting so...

Made a huge difference, best upgrade so far. What they may take away from whatever wake we can manage, they more than make up for in the ability to plane at a lower speed and maintain a constant speed when pulling a boarder. I rigged a way to unhook them, tried it pulling wakeboards, hooked them right back up as it was a PITA to stay on plane pulling at 20 mph and maintain a constant speed. I'll take the smart tabs.

If we want a better wake, the answer is to fill the big ass ski locker with a ballast bag, there is a sac out there (may even be a fat sac, it's on wakemakers.com) that will get us like 600-800 pounds (or something like that) by almost completely filling up the available space in the ski locker. Which is the absolute perfect place to put the weight to get a good, firm and not overly rampy wake. Lets face it, we are only going to get so good of a wake. I've seen a guy jump wake to wake behind mine from the ski eye with no ballast and smart tabs... it can be done. Lol.

Hope this helped.
    jbkgmyers likes this.
    Old 04-21-2016, 12:57 PM   #9

Send jbkgmyers:
    a Private Message

Thanks Gahooligan. That's exactly why I was asking the boat size, wondering if the 80# tabs were on a bigger boat than mine. I'll go with the 60's as well. Any recommendations on prop selection? I currently have a 21P, 3-blade, Laser II stainless. Hole shot isn't too bad, but I'm thinking of trying a 4 blade.
    Old 04-22-2016, 02:51 AM   #10

Send gahooligan:
    a Private Message

Quote:
    Originally Posted by jbkgmyers View Post
    Thanks Gahooligan. That's exactly why I was asking the boat size, wondering if the 80# tabs were on a bigger boat than mine. I'll go with the 60's as well. Any recommendations on prop selection? I currently have a 21P, 3-blade, Laser II stainless. Hole shot isn't too bad, but I'm thinking of trying a 4 blade.
    LOL - If MikeyT would ever Chime in we might have an answer... That's why I started this thread.

I currently have a 14.25 21p aluminum stock Mercrusier prop. I'm in the same boat (pun intended) Holeshot isn't bad. Can hit over 50 mph. Good all around prop. I have a 1.47 final leg on my outdrive. (not sure what you have) I have added weight with tower, speakers, two big ass batteries, two subs and two more bigger towables. With the added weight and drag of the bimini I feel I have lost some Holeshot and top speed. I also hate that I can't trim way up at speed and turning without blowing out. I too am looking for a 4 blade but don't know if I should go 21, 20 or 19p. I like my prop but want some of my performance back.