Want to get rid of the ads? Become a member by registering today.
The Mariah Owners Club

Forum Left Top

Welcome to the The Mariah Owners Club.

New engine

Projects

Old 10-27-2009, 09:58 PM   #1

DVoutsas is currently offline
My Year: 1994
My Model: sabah 211
My Engine: volvo penta 5.0 fi dps
Gallery Images: 0

Send DVoutsas:
a Private Message

Question New engine

HI
I am a proud and extremely satisfied owner of a 1994 Mariah Shabah 211 boat (The model is identical to the 212 shabah but in Europe it was closed bow and was named 211 ) powered by a Volvo Penta 5.0 Fi /Duo Prop engine { Crankshaft power 235 hp Propeller shaft power 220 hp Engine Weight 930 lb } with F7 stainless steel props .The acceleration was great (I use it quite often for water skiing) and the top speed ( 2 pax and half tank) 55Mph at 4600 rpm (top for Volvo.)
Unfortunately after 14 years the engine died .
I want to re-power the boat with a Mercruiser 5.0 mpi 260 hp Bravo 3 Engine Weight 1019 lb
My questions are
1) I want the Bravo 3 option but other boaters say that the bravo 3 is not suitable for my boat because it is to long and weigh more than the Alfa 1 and is not going to give better acceleration or cruising speed (the Volvo duo prop was great)
What is your opinion .
2) I was thinking to install an swimming platform to my boat. How is the extra weight going to affect the performance (Ski towing ski wake Planing and cruising speed)
  • Old 11-05-2009, 11:46 AM   #2

300sflyer is currently offline
    Find me on the Map

Send 300sflyer:
    a Private Message

Default Re: New engine

Sorry to hear your engine died!

In order to change to a Bravo outdrive, you need to change out the entire transom assembly as well, as a Bravo drive will not fit on an Alpha or Volvo transom assembly. That is a big expence and really not needed unless you are putting an engine in that is above 300HP.

If it were me, I would simply put in a replacement Alpha engine. Much simpler and much cheaper.

Not sure where you are located, but I happen to have a 250HP 5.7 for sale, if you are interested.

New Mercruiser 5.7 350 TKS Engine:eBay Motors (item 330373108267 end time Nov-30-09 08:04:31 PST)

Thanks,
    Old 11-05-2009, 01:50 PM   #3

WetWilly is currently offline
    Find me on the Map
    My Year: 1996
    My Model: Z240 Talari
    My Engine: 7.4L Bravo III
    Gallery Images: 25

Send WetWilly:
    a Private Message

Default Re: New engine

Hi DVoutsas,

300sflyer is correct, is quite a large undertaking to change over to a Bravo 3 setup so if your outdrive is still in good shape, just re-power your Mariah. From what you posted, you seemed quite happy with your original setup and as they say, why mess with a good thing.

See if 300sflyer's 5.7 will bolt up with your Volvo Duo Prop outdrive. The extra HP and torque will probably make your Shabah feel like a whole new boat .

Good luck,
    WetWilly
    Old 11-09-2009, 07:10 AM   #4

DVoutsas is currently offline
    My Year: 1994
    My Model: sabah 211
    My Engine: volvo penta 5.0 fi dps

Send DVoutsas:
    a Private Message

Post Re: New engine

Hi guys
    Thanks for your replies. Unfortunately I don’t live in USA I live in GREECE and the shipping for the engine is around 2000 usd .I have already sold the old transom assembly so I am looking for the complete package (engine and transom).
    The difference in price between the Alfa And the Bravo complete package is very small.(Maybe our Merc dealer went crazy )
    WetWilly Yes I was quite happy with my original set-up which was a duo prop outdrive ad this is why I want the Bravo 3 (I am a duo prop addict) but I don’t know the differences in performance between the Volvo and the Merc drive(they say that the Bravo 3 is only for big boats )
    Waiting for your replies
    Dimitris