Want to get rid of the ads? Become a member by registering today.
The Mariah Owners Club

Forum Left Top

Welcome to the The Mariah Owners Club.

subwoofer box for marine??

Projects

Old 03-22-2009, 05:02 AM   #31

kylakerat is currently offline
My Year: 1996
My Model: Z220 Talari
My Engine: 7.4 Bravo III
Gallery Images: 0

Send kylakerat:
a Private Message

Default Re: subwoofer box for marine??

Quote:
Originally Posted by MariahMan View Post
I've though about putting the subs under the dash as well. If you do this, i would advise not placing them under the helm, but instead on the port side. The subs, with their large magnets, would no doubt screw with you compass only being a couple feet away.

Thanks for the info
Actually I had already thought about the magnetic interference from the subs, and it really doesn't bother me. I know the two lakes I'm always at like the back of my hand... in daylight or dark, so I don't even use the compass except for noting the wind direction when I'm searching for smooth water to wakeboard/ski.

When I posted to this thread earlier I was sitting around the house thinking of what I was going to get into day. So, I decided to get the Mariah out and see what I had to do to put the subs under the dash. It was actually easy as my existing boxes fit, very tightly, but they fit. I had to remove the kick panels, slide the boxes in, re-wire the amp (it was in the back with the subs before), and then put it all back together.

The subs sound a lot better up front and I'm glad to get the storage space back they took up in the rear. My only concern now is the vibration on the 10 disc changer that's mounted in the little compartment in front of the glove box. I emptied the cartridge last fall and didn't bother loading cd's to test it yet. Hopefully it will play without skipping.

While I had everything tore apart, I managed to get my "sea temp" reading adjusted so it's now right +/- 1 degree. Joining this forum was well worth it just for that one tidbit of info about the adjustment pots.
  • Old 03-27-2009, 07:38 PM   #32

z275st is currently offline
    Find me on the Map
    My Model: 2001 Z275st 496HO Bravo1
    Gallery Images: 33

Send z275st:
    a Private Message

Hey guys,
    I have vacation in a couple weeks and want to improve the sound system in the boat. I put a new Sony head unit in last year. It is a 208watt (20w RMS). It does fine for sitting around and swimming but can’t here it at slow cruise without distortion. I am not looking to have a huge system I just want to here it over the noise at cruise speed. I also want to add a self powered bass tube.
    Here is what I am considering. I have seen PYLE in several boat supply magazines but don't know much about the brand quality.

http://www.xplodsony.com/marine/amplifiers/XM-604M
    or
    http://www.pyleaudio.com/itemdetail.asp?model=PLMRA420
    or
    http://www.pyleaudio.com/itemdetail.asp?model=PLMRA620
    and
    http://www.pyleaudio.com/itemdetail.asp?model=PLTA10N

I have found few amps and have some questions (I have never put in amps before).
    If you add an amp do you have to change the wire to the speakers? The pervious owner upgraded the speakers but kept the factory wires).

The max current draw of the 1000w(4 x 35watts) amp is 20A.
    The 6 Channel 2000w(4 x 100 Watts + 2 x 250 Watts) is draws 30Ax2.

If it takes the 35watts per channel to hear it at cruise the 1000w amp would draw 20A..
    So if I used the 2000w amp with only 4 speakers x 35watts at cruise (total possible output of 900watts RMS) using 15% of total, would it only draw 15% of the max current(.15% of 30A x 2)=9amp from battery?

Thanks for any info!
    Old 03-27-2009, 08:23 PM   #33

indykoch is currently offline
    Find me on the Map
    My Year: 1999
    My Model: Z212 Shabah
    My Engine: 350 Magnum Alpha One
    Gallery Images: 18

Send indykoch:
    a Private Message

Sure, I'll help design my next stereo.... I mean YOUR stereo (Yes, I'm still waiting on your offer to sell me that beauty!! )

Pyle is on the lower end of sound quality. I really like my Kicker amps, they're marine rated and probably mid to upper grade and don't break the bank. Sony and Clarion are decent as well.

What are the current speakers? What brand, size, and rated power? You'll want to keep that in mind when selecting an amp. If the speakers are rated for 100 watts RMS, you don't want to go over that with the amp.

I think the Mariah furnished speaker wire is a pretty good grade of wire, so you shouldn't need to swap that out.

Check out Kicker's MX350.4. You shouldn't need more than a four channel amp (if you're planning to run four speakers, obviously) since the sub will be self-powered.

I'll leave the amperage question to someone else with more knowledge on the matter. I just stuck 2 batteries, 2 amps, 4 speakers and a sub in mine and let it eat. No battery failures... yet!!

Depending on the current speakers, adding an amp will do wonders! You'll love it and easily be able to hear the tunes while underway.

BTW - did you ever order that extended swim platform for my... I mean YOUR boat?
    Currently - '07 Ebbtide 2600 CBR
    Old 03-28-2009, 03:48 PM   #34

Find me on the Map

Send z275st:
    a Private Message

indykoch,
    The previous owner had added two 6x9's "Boston" brand speakers in the bow and replaced the factory speakers in the cockpit with Boston 6x9's also I don't know the watt rating. They are siliconed and screwed in, but I will try to get a mirror and see from behind. If needed I may add two more in the side kick panel of driver and passenger. That is why I am considering a 6-chan. amp.
    I am going to stay away from PYLE since I haven't herd anything good about them. I have contacted Z275 about his setup.

I haven't ordered your "I mean my" swim-platform yet. With this economy I thought the money would serve me better in the bank (if it don't bankrupt). But I will be sure to add it before I sell the boat to you.!
    Thanks
    John W.
    Old 03-28-2009, 05:29 PM   #35

Find me on the Map

Send indykoch:
    a Private Message

Boston Acoustics make a great speaker, and having the 6x9 size should provide great sound. I would definitely add another pair in the cockpit - Having just one pair wouldn't do it justice. That's strange though - I thought all Mariahs over about 18' already had 4 speakers in the cockpit.

I'm guessing those 6x9's are rated at 60W to 100W RMS and will need a 50W per channel RMS amp at the bare minimum. That's probably why you're getting so much distortion - 4 bigger sized speakers are just too much for the indash to handle. Those should sound great with a real amp pushing them!

Keep us posted on what you end up with. A good 6 six channel amp and self powered sub will make a great setup that I'm sure you'll be pleased with.
    Old 03-28-2009, 07:47 PM   #36

Find me on the Map

Send z275st:
    a Private Message

Glad to hear I have good speakers!
    My 210 Talari had only two speakers new they were in the side panel at the driver and passenger's feet. I added two in the bow and two at the rear seat area. The z275st has the two factory speakers and two 6x9's in the bow and the two 6x9's in the rear seating area(not including cabin speakers).
    Here is one more affordable 6-Channel Marine Amplifier (Nautic Series MB Quart NAU 660). Anyone know of this brand?
    http://www.sonicelectronix.com/item_...t+NAU+660.html
    If I can't find a 6-channel I will probably go with the Sony or Kicker
    http://www.bargainunlimited.net/serv...E-AUDIO/Detail

I will be mounting in a dry area in the cabin so I could probably use a auto amp but I guess a marine would last longer.
    Old 03-28-2009, 10:09 PM   #37

Find me on the Map

Send indykoch:
    a Private Message

Yes, MB Quart is also very good.

I would highly suggest a marine rated amp, even if it's in a dry area. There's a lot of humidity trapped in a boat after the day's use and a cover over it. When I bought my boat, the previous owner had an auto in-dash and CD changer. Both looked like they never actually had water on them, but neither worked. Upon closer inspection (my curiosity got the best of me), I ripped them apart and the circuit boards were covered with corrosion. I've heard from others that it's very common to see that when used in boats, which is why marine rated electronics are covered in "potting" material, better grade components, corrosion resistant connections, etc.
    Old 04-08-2009, 03:00 PM   #38

Find me on the Map

Send z275st:
    a Private Message

Well, the parts are here, I went with the MB Quart NAU 660 amp(OnlineCarStereo.Com no tax plus free S&H).When I ordered it was almost 70 degrees out, now its low 40's.

In my searches I found these sub-woofers that don't require an enclosure. One powered and one passive. I am not going with either but thought I would post them here for others to consider.
    http://www.sonicelectronix.com/item_...e+MPS1000.html
    http://www.sonicelectronix.com/item_...C-W254MRW.html
    Old 04-28-2009, 08:41 PM   #39

domraga is currently offline
    My Year: 2001
    My Model: 218
    My Engine: Volvo 5.7GL / SX-M
    Gallery Images: 32

Send domraga:
    a Private Message

Hi there, I've always had marine speakers (clarion) but never a marine headunit. I have never had a headunit last more than 2 seasons due corrosion of circuit boards. Now I have just bought a 218, i'm looking to fit a decent stereo, so have chosen my setup as follows:

Sony HSMW MP3 headunit
    Alpine V12 amp 2 channel
    Alpine V12 amp 4 channel

(I chose V12's because I managed to get a steal on ebay £70 for the two thats approx $110-120, and I also managed to fully immerse some V12's two years ago, they worked fine!!)

Speakers - this is where I need some feedback. In the UK marine speakers are WAY overpriced, so I am looking at the Fusion True marine range. On inspection, they appear to be really good quality and very reasonable proced. Has anyone fitted these?

As far as subs go, looks like I will have to import from the US. I have my eye on a Rockford Fosgate 10". Again any feedback would be welcomed!

By the way, great thread, but would love to see some pics!!