Want to get rid of the ads? Become a member by registering today.
The Mariah Owners Club

Forum Left Top

Welcome to the The Mariah Owners Club.

Non Mariah question... need help/opinions

Original Mariah Talk

Old 12-14-2013, 04:23 AM   #1

nglauer is currently offline
Find me on the Map
My Year: 2001
My Model: 180 Diablo
My Engine: 3.0L Alpha one
Gallery Images: 0

Send nglauer:
a Private Message

Default Non Mariah question... need help/opinions

I haven't posted on here in awhile - but I have been lurking on and off after selling my 01 Diablo (which i miss terribly). Anyways i've been watching online for a good boat deal - however I may have came across a deal.. but it's not a Mariah. However I wanted to gather some opinions since I know many of you have experiences outside of Mariah, and many have experiences with the mercruiser motors.

Anyways - the boat is a Rinker Captiva 206 (I think early 90's) - not my style or taste by any means - however it has a really nice tandem axle trailer that is fairly rust free (just a little here and there), also decent wheels with newer tires and lights. The boat is faded some (blue/white exterior). The rear sun deck is in poor shape, rest of the interior isn't to bad from what I could see. The lower unit looks fairly glossy with nice decals - possibly a newer unit (Alpha One) and has a very nice and shiny stainless prop. The problem is that the block is cracked... but the price well... it may very well be FREE!

The boat has a clear title.. and supposedly ran well before they let it freeze a little over a year ago. I guess they had a friend winterize it.. but he apparently didn't do a good job. I believe the motor is a 305 or 350 - but i'm not sure (wasn't able to look under the sundeck). I have a few small blocks laying around that are good - however they are not marine. Can I swap the internal and external parts from the mercruiser over to one of my blocks? If so then the boat could very well be FREE FREE FREE. I just have to talk to my cousin and see what her plans are - it needs some love, but if it'll get us back on the water this coming summer.. and possibly put us one step closer to getting another Mariah.. then I don't mind investing some time in refurbishing this boat (especially if it ends up being FREE) lol.

Anyways - any opinions on this are greatly appreciated. I know it's not a Mariah.. but it's a boat and i'm hoping some of you will share your thoughts.

Thanks again,
Nick
-2007 GMC Canyon 4x4 Crew Cab
-2010 GMC Acadia SLT
-1993 Camaro "SCCA Project Car"
  • Old 12-14-2013, 10:47 AM   #2

Hudson River Steve is currently offline
    Find me on the Map
    My Year: 1999
    My Model: Z280
    My Engine: 7.4L MPI Bravo3
    Gallery Images: 5

Send Hudson River Steve:
    a Private Message

Default Re: Non Mariah question... need help/opinions

The simple answer to your question is yes, you can use an automotive block. It will mate up no problem. However you will have to change a few parts such as freeze out plugs from steel to brass or ss, change the cam shaft to a marine grind (might as well change the lifters, push rods and rockers if you want it to last)change the head gaskets to marine (stainless comp rings). The automotive block may or may not have all the bosses to mount the mercruiser accessories so check that before you start. So for a few hundred bucks in parts and a couple of weekends...you could have something that works.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
    nglauer likes this.
    Old 12-14-2013, 03:31 PM   #3

mikeyt is currently offline
    Find me on the Map
    My Year: 1996
    My Model: Shabah 180
    My Engine: 4.3
    Gallery Images: 14

Send mikeyt:
    a Private Message

Doesn't Rinker rhyme with stinker?

While 'free' may be a good deal you have a lot of work ahead of you to get that boat back into the condition that your Diablo was in....
    nglauer likes this.
    Old 12-14-2013, 05:59 PM   #4

Find me on the Map

Send nglauer:
    a Private Message

I agree - but if my cousin is willing to part with it and I can get it to run "cheaply"... then it may be worth flipping toward another Mariah in the future. If not I'm still going to try and snap it up and part it out.

Sent from my SCH-I535 using Tapatalk
    -2010 GMC Acadia SLT
    Old 12-14-2013, 07:12 PM   #5

Find me on the Map

Send nglauer:
    a Private Message

It's kind of an ugly boat - but I have two older 350's and a 305 that both run. If I can swap the internal/external parts from the 350 magnum over to one of my blocks (assuming that's whats actually wrong with this Rinker) then I could probably have a decent running boat for fairly cheap.. if not almost 100% free. It'll need some interior work, but I have two rolls of gray marine carpet already that I could use to freshen up the floor (assuming it's solid). As for the rear sundeck - I could probably do a quick fix on it myself as well. I will try to post a few pictures of the STINKER - it was dark when I snapped them - so it looks worse than it is... or better? i'm not really sure lol. I know it's no Mariah though

The HIN number ends in 92 - suppose that is the model year? The trailer isn't to bad - it just needs a little touch up and some new step pads (I have some pieces of alum. diamond plate). It's also got one of those "Special" lower unit ornaments that you like Mikey lol. The boat is only 15 minutes from my house... so I won't be traveling far to get it if she decides to let it go.

I wonder if the gentleman who bought my boat ever showed up on here? His name is Larry... super nice guy. I've never heard from him since he got it - so I guess he must have been very happy with it.

Thanks again!

Nick
    -2010 GMC Acadia SLT
    Old 12-14-2013, 07:19 PM   #6

Find me on the Map

Send nglauer:
    a Private Message

Quote:
    Originally Posted by mikeyt View Post
    Doesn't Rinker rhyme with stinker?

While 'free' may be a good deal you have a lot of work ahead of you to get that boat back into the condition that your Diablo was in....

I don't think this boat could ever look as good as my Diablo - I probably wouldn't be as stressed with people tracking sand or the kids eating cheetos in this boat though. I think I was was to anal with the Mariah.. I always made the wife and kids eat on blankets, towels, or on the shoreline lol.. and I forbid Koolaid or other "colored" drinks. Something about the white interior that made me cringe anytime someone tried to eat in her. Oh well - good times - stressful with little kids, yet fun. Sure hope we can see the water again this year now that my back is all healed up.

Hope you guys all have a wonderful Christmas! or Hanukkah! or Holidays in general!

Nick
    Mariah1 likes this.
    -2010 GMC Acadia SLT
    Old 12-16-2013, 12:01 AM   #7

ShabahZ280 is currently offline
    Find me on the Map
    My Year: 1999
    My Model: Z280 MCC
    My Engine: 7.4L MPI Bravo III
    Gallery Images: 1564

Send ShabahZ280:
    a Private Message

True, sometimes you can't beat a "free" deal, but consider the amount of work involved. I'd seriously guess you've got at least a minimum of $3-5k worth of work and refurbing that boat to get in in reasonable order for the upcoming season. The fact it hasn't been covered and there's snow inside as well as a spare tire, and empty beer bottles makes me believe it may have been neglected. If it was just for the last year, that wouldn't be too much of a concern, but remember, this boat isn't like your Mariah with fiberglass floors... the older boats used wood in the floorboards and sometimes even the stringers. With serious exposure to rain, snow and the elements, that floor (and anything below it) will get soft real quick. I had a 92 sea ray that had that problem (even with keeping it covered).

Now, if you're really serious about it, and you've got the time, space, and motivation to do it yourself, then more power to you. Rinker's are decent boats, and they have been around for a while. (They're definitely better than that other manufacturer that we call the "B word") Just do yourself a favor and hire a surveyor to take a look at the structural integrity of the boat and make sure there's no moisture issues. It'll cost a hundred dollars or two, but the peace of mind will be satisfying that you're not going to fall through the floorboard and the stringers will collapse while you're underway. Yes, you can do things "cheaply", and be back on the water by next season, but I'll urge you to seriously think twice about it. Spend the money and make sure it's done right (at least with the engine). I don't know if the barge traffic on the Ohio River is as heavy where you are, but it can get pretty busy down around Cincinnati, and having a dead boat that's in the middle of the channel with a barge headed your way is a recipe for disaster...
    -Formerly known as ShabahZ250
    -USCG Licensed 50 Ton Near Coastal Master Captain with Towing Certification
    Old 12-16-2013, 12:45 AM   #8

Find me on the Map

Send nglauer:
    a Private Message

Quote:
    Originally Posted by ShabahZ280 View Post
    True, sometimes you can't beat a "free" deal, but consider the amount of work involved. I'd seriously guess you've got at least a minimum of $3-5k worth of work and refurbing that boat to get in in reasonable order for the upcoming season. The fact it hasn't been covered and there's snow inside as well as a spare tire, and empty beer bottles makes me believe it may have been neglected. If it was just for the last year, that wouldn't be too much of a concern, but remember, this boat isn't like your Mariah with fiberglass floors... the older boats used wood in the floorboards and sometimes even the stringers. With serious exposure to rain, snow and the elements, that floor (and anything below it) will get soft real quick. I had a 92 sea ray that had that problem (even with keeping it covered).

Now, if you're really serious about it, and you've got the time, space, and motivation to do it yourself, then more power to you. Rinker's are decent boats, and they have been around for a while. (They're definitely better than that other manufacturer that we call the "B word") Just do yourself a favor and hire a surveyor to take a look at the structural integrity of the boat and make sure there's no moisture issues. It'll cost a hundred dollars or two, but the peace of mind will be satisfying that you're not going to fall through the floorboard and the stringers will collapse while you're underway. Yes, you can do things "cheaply", and be back on the water by next season, but I'll urge you to seriously think twice about it. Spend the money and make sure it's done right (at least with the engine). I don't know if the barge traffic on the Ohio River is as heavy where you are, but it can get pretty busy down around Cincinnati, and having a dead boat that's in the middle of the channel with a barge headed your way is a recipe for disaster...
    The traffic can get hectic where we are, as we usually launch a few miles north of the Willow Island Locks and Dams. However the Ohio is pretty wide up here. As for condition - I'm not sure. I didn't even think to look at the plug to see if water could run out. It was dark and extremely cold when I stopped by the other night to snap pictures. It may be completely full of water and mold, and who knows what else.

I believe the boat spent most of this summer and winter uncovered, but was covered previously. There were remnants of a cover laying in the back of an old truck that's parked next to it, i'm guessing it was a victim of one of the storms we had earlier this year. I don't think the alcohol bottles were left in the boat, I think my uncle threw them in the boat when mowing... as there is a speed limit sign close to where this boat is parked. That sign seems to be a favorite target for backroaders. Still, I doubt the boat received much love. I know my cousin bought it 7-8 years ago - and when they tried to launch it the last time they realized the block was busted. It had been stored in a garage prior to this. She then hauled it out to her dad's so they wouldn't have to pay storage fee's for a busted boat. I actually talked to him, and he told me that she was thinking of contacting a salvage company to see if they would haul it off. I wouldn't mind having it - regardless of shape. I'm sure it has some salvageable parts, and the lower unit was supposedly replaced sometime after she purchased it. I imagine the prop alone would be worth me hauling it off for her lol.

Either way.. I have a couple of places where I can now store a boat inside (unfortunately something I couldn't do before selling our Diablo). My father in-law has worked on boats for years and used to work at an RV/boat dealership. He's fairly slick with fiberglass work - and my dad is a carpenter. If the floor is soft, I think we could probably replace it without much issue... assuming that it's not beyond repair. If I can repair it for under $1500.00 I might take on the project, if not i'll be posting some parts on ebay - that's if my cousin gets back in touch with me. I don't want to jump the gun.. and I won't be going back out to look at it until I hear from her.

Thanks again!

Nick
    -2010 GMC Acadia SLT