Want to get rid of the ads? Become a member by registering today.
The Mariah Owners Club

Forum Left Top

Welcome to the The Mariah Owners Club.

Re furbishing a 211 model Mariah

Original Mariah Talk

Old 12-13-2013, 12:56 PM   #1

David Trevett is currently offline
My Year: 2000
My Model: cuddy 19ft
My Engine: 4.3L
Gallery Images: 0

Send David Trevett:
a Private Message

Default Re furbishing a 211 model Mariah

Hi
I am refurbishing a 1999/2000 Mariah 211, which was imported to the UK some years ago and was left out for a number of years after having its engine and other valuable parts removed by the previous owner. The cockpit trim was in a bad state, also the cabin. I have almost finished re trimming and refurbishing the boat which is now looking very smart . I have bought a used 2006 Mercruiser 260 HP V8 5 Litre fuel injected engine, which had no compression on two cylinders. The engine is being reconditioned locally (Poole) and otherwise looks to be sound with only 200 hrs running time. I would very much appreciate some assistance with the following:
a). I need a wiring diagram for the 211 (21ft) model
b) . I would like to pressure test the two engine manifolds (which have no visible cracks) as water was found in one cylinder. Could someone advise who/where this could be done. Preferably near Poole.
c). The topsides of the Mariah had been knocked about somewhat and was heavily oxidised. I have "filled" the damaged surface areas with gel coat pigmented with the matching colour (red). I have "sanded" the surface using an orbital sander, which has achieve an excellent homogeneous matt finish. My intention is to professionally spray automotive two pot "clear coat" to bring back the shine and protect the gel coat from further oxidation.
d) I need a second hand Alpha Bravo leg to fit to the Mercruiser engine. If anyone knows of such at a reasonable price it would be appreciated.

It would be most appreciated if members could comment on the above. I urgently require the wiring diagram and any other advise would be appreciated.

As a newish member of The Owners Club my intention is to write an article on my efforts refurbishing the Mariah if the Owners Club would be interested. I very much like the design of the Mariah.

Kind regards

David http://www.mariahownersclub.com/foru...es/thumbup.gif
  • Old 12-13-2013, 08:23 PM   #2

domraga is currently offline
    My Year: 2001
    My Model: 218
    My Engine: Volvo 5.7GL / SX-M
    Gallery Images: 32

Send domraga:
    a Private Message

Default Re: Re furbishing a 211 model Mariah

David, welcome to the forum. I'm also a UK Mariah owner and have done something similar to youin terms of a refurb, repower etc.

If you are installing a newly refurbed engine, for what you are going to spend on labour, buy two new manifolds (and risers if you can stretch to it). After all your hard work, don't risk old risers and manifolds they are notorious for leaking. It may be that the leak came from head gaskets or from a failed riser or manifold seal but I personally found myself in the same situation as you and went for aftermarket GLM risers and manifolds.

As regards your top sides, if you have managed to get a uniform colouring with the gelcoat filler, just work up through the grades of wet and dry, then heavy compound (I can recommend farecla gelcoat restorer) followed by farecla G4 then a hand wax, you should get a mirror finish without having to apply a clear coat. You will find application of ay paint over the gelcoat will not adhere properly and will bubble and peel off in a marine environment, particularly salt water. Gelcoat comes up from a very cloudy finish to a mirror finish if you work it properly. Buy an electric mop from machine kart with 3 grades of foam heads and carefully bring it back to life.
    Thank you domraga for this useful post!
    mikeyt (12-13-2013)
    Old 12-13-2013, 08:24 PM   #3

domraga is currently offline
    My Year: 2001
    My Model: 218
    My Engine: Volvo 5.7GL / SX-M
    Gallery Images: 32

Send domraga:
    a Private Message

Machine mart not machine kart LOL
    Old 12-14-2013, 08:59 AM   #4

David Trevett is currently offline
    My Year: 2000
    My Model: cuddy 19ft
    My Engine: 4.3L

Send David Trevett:
    a Private Message

Hi domraga

Thank you for your very useful tips. I will try your technique for refurbishing the gelcoat etc. I already have a Machine Mart orbital polisher so will try the gelcoat restorer and wax as advised. You may be right re the clear coat lifting after time as this would become a disaster.

Re the manifolds I believe your advice is useful as it would not be sensible to refit the old ones if they are capable of cracking again.

Thanks again for your advice, I will definitely follow it.
    Old 01-23-2014, 01:26 AM   #5

gahooligan is currently offline
    My Year: 1999
    My Model: 202
    My Engine: 5.7l

Send gahooligan:
    a Private Message

Quote:
    Originally Posted by domraga View Post

As regards your top sides, if you have managed to get a uniform colouring with the gelcoat filler, just work up through the grades of wet and dry, then heavy compound (I can recommend farecla gelcoat restorer) followed by farecla G4 then a hand wax, you should get a mirror finish without having to apply a clear coat.... Buy an electric mop from machine kart with 3 grades of foam heads and carefully bring it back to life.
    Out of curiosity, what is an electric mop? and what grades do you work through? I hit a spot on mine with 1500 and 2000 then just hand buffed with meguires and it looked pretty good. I need to do my top side of the hull all around, Below the rub rail is good. Above is oxidized. I'm not looking forward to pulling all those snaps off and do I need to worry about getting water in all those holes while wet sanding?

Matt in GA