Want to get rid of the ads? Become a member by registering today.
The Mariah Owners Club

Forum Left Top

Welcome to the The Mariah Owners Club.

Shabah 250 and trim tabs

Original Mariah Talk

Old 11-05-2013, 01:20 AM   #1

Motoxxx43 is currently offline
Find me on the Map
My Year: 2000
My Model: Shabah 250
My Engine: 7.4 MPI Bravo I
Gallery Images: 11

Send Motoxxx43:
a Private Message

Default Shabah 250 and trim tabs

So far the Shabah has been winterized for about 3 weeks now. All ready looking forward to next season. I have a list of upgrades I will be working towards. One of the things I really want to get is a set of tabs. I've been reading into the smart tabs and into controllable tabs. Although I like the easy to use, install and basically maintenance free Smart Tabs I think I want to go with an adjustable set up like the Bennett system.
With the Bennett's in mind I looked on their chart to size a set for my Sabah 250. They are suggesting one inch of tab per foot of length on EACH tab. After doing some measuring that just is not possible on the transom of the 250. Therefore the length of the tab has to go from 9" to 12" or 16". Not that I have called Bennett to get their input. I am assuming the 12x12 or 12x16 system will be ideal.

Then there are the "sport tabs" for boats that can run in the 40-60mph range. They have dual actuators and from two different reviews I have read they are very slow. As in 30 seconds adjust within range...

What are other Mariahs in the similar length range running on their boats?

Sent from my DROID RAZR HD using Tapatalk
  • Old 11-07-2013, 09:17 PM   #2

ShabahZ280 is currently offline
    Find me on the Map
    My Year: 1999
    My Model: Z280 MCC
    My Engine: 7.4L MPI Bravo III
    Gallery Images: 1564

Send ShabahZ280:
    a Private Message

Default Re: Shabah 250 and trim tabs

When I had the Z250, I had spec'd out the 9"x12" and 12"x12" setups. I had researched both Bennett and Lenco, and had decided to go with the Lenco electric setup rather than the Bennetts, simply just for the ease of installation (hydraulics and I don't get along too well) Really, it's kind of a "6 in one hand, half a dozen in the other" type decision, they both do the same thing, it's just a question of preference. Each has their advantages and disadvantages. Bennetts have been around a little longer, but I am seeing more and more boats using the Lenco tabs these days. That decision is completely up to you. I just never got around to purchasing and installing them for the Z250.

Smart Tabs are a good option for the smaller boats, but I haven't heard enough from people with 24ft + boats yet, so I can't speak to those.

Now on the Z280, I have the Bennetts already installed. They are definitely nice to have, and leveling the boat out is a great thing. However, let me say this. It's not a "set it and forget it" type system. The tabs need consistent adjusting based on lots of variables, like speed, course, water conditions, wind conditions, weight balance, direction of travel, outdrive trim, and many others. Once you find the "perfect level", it won't be long before you're adjusting it again. They definitely take some getting used to, especially when steering at speed. There's nothing that'll make you pucker up more than making a sharp turn while one tab's lower than the other. Your boat will pitch and roll MUCH more than your standard comfort level. I've scared the hell out of myself and my passengers a few times when trying to steer before adjusting the tabs first. You'll learn this very quickly. But once you get the hang of things, tabs can help the ride out a lot. You can drop the bow down and plane at lower speeds, or bring the bow up to get the best ride, and the individual adjustment is really nice when you've got some "weight shift issues".

Both systems really aren't fast by any means, but I had heard the same thing about the dual action sport tabs. I don't see many people with them, most people that spend the majority of their time above 50mph use K-Planes anyway.

Hope this helps!
    mikeyt likes this.
    -Formerly known as ShabahZ250
    -USCG Licensed 50 Ton Near Coastal Master Captain with Towing Certification
    Old 11-08-2013, 04:21 PM   #3

Find me on the Map

Send Motoxxx43:
    a Private Message

Thanks for the response. Since the original post I had read into the Lenco tabs. Either system will work for me. The Lenco price out a little more expensive. From what I've been reading boats of similar size are running 12x12 or longer.
    As for the smart tabs I know Oregondunes is running some on his 302. A new MOC member just bolted on a pair to his 252 as well.
    Decisions decisions... I have plenty of time!

Sent from my DROID RAZR HD using Tapatalk
    Old 11-08-2013, 08:26 PM   #4

Find me on the Map

Send ShabahZ280:
    a Private Message

Trim Tab pricing just depends on where you're buying. I've seen prices all over the spectrum on both bennett and lenco. Sometimes you can find brand new kits on ebay for very discounted prices from dealer overstocks, service shops that closed, or even people that bought the wrong size, etc. Just keep your eyes peeled.

Good luck and keep us updated with what you decide to do.
    Old 11-09-2013, 05:18 PM   #5

gahooligan is currently offline
    My Model: 202
    My Engine: 5.7l
    Gallery Images: 0

Send gahooligan:
    a Private Message

Just my $.02 but I like the smart tabs. They do what you want a tab to do (get up on plane faster and keep you there, add stability and ride quality, keep the front down for "sit-down" hole shots, and make you corner like you are on rails.) True they can't be individually changed to compensate for weight imbalance but I don't see that as a deal breaker. HERE's my point... I like driving my boat, pulling wakeboard and tubes and enjoying my time relaxing. I am a tinkerer but, adjusting outdrive trim is enough for me. It seems like constantly adjusting hydraulic or electric tabs would get annoying fast especially when in addition to adjusting outdrive trim. That's too mush to have to worry about while having fun. If smart tabs work (and it's well documented that they are an amazing addition) and give you almost all the functionality you'd want, why not use them instead of spending a bunch of money on a adjustable tab system that becomes one more mechanical thing you have to service and eventually repair. Just install smart tabs and enjoy the ride... again... just my thoughts.
    Old 11-11-2013, 07:37 PM   #6

Find me on the Map

Send ShabahZ280:
    a Private Message

+1 with Gahooligan's advice. Boating is meant to be enjoyable, not fiddling around with things, like finding the right trim. Smart tabs could be a great option for you. Plus The 250's still a small enough boat that if you need to weight shift, just ask your passengers to move around. It's much easier and cheaper. I think the larger cruisers definitely need fully adjustable tabs since they sit deeper and have a lot more weight to balance.
    Old 05-18-2014, 12:13 AM   #7

Find me on the Map

Send Motoxxx43:
    a Private Message

Well I pulled the trigger on a set of smart tabs! Took some convincing for me to put a set of self adjusting gas shock do-hickey on my 25' 4600+ lb boat... I really cant get over how well these things actually work!! So simple yet so effective! If you are considering these on your boat just do it. Even if your boat is heavy and has more than the 250hp the Smart Tabs selector asks about. I exchanged emails with Natuicus and they said no problems having a heavier or high hp motor.
    I ended up going with the ST1295-80 but somehow there was a mix up and I got the 60# actuators. Figured the actuator are the same size and what not so I installed anyway. I may try some 70# actuators and see if that is a bigger improvement. As it is my boat planes rather instantly. It stays on plane at a much lower speed. I lost zero speed of WOT that I noticed in a few runs. So basically everything that is advertised is spot on!
    There is one negative thing with the ST tabs aside from the fact I skinned multiple fingers while installing them. The biggest and by far the most frustrating thing was making sure the tabs were at 25 degrees down from the hull. It may sound silly but honestly, it felt defeated!! I had to take a break and go water the garden and throw the ball for the dog. It may have not been too bad if I hand a third hand or a helper but those are hard to come by until its lake time... Any way, I search for a measurement from the top of actuator bracket to top of the tab hinge, no dice. I set up a stupid little prop to get the measurement. I STILL measured it wrong somehow some way!!! Why was that measurement such an issue? The transom is not a flat surface and there are pop outs and transducers and whatever else back there. Either way, I believe the correct measurement would be 9" and I ended up going on 8" which put the tabs at like 35 degrees... I ended up with a new hole on the fin the actuator mounts on to get the angle at 25 degrees... Still works as advertised.
    Thanks for the advice folks!
    Old 05-18-2014, 12:19 AM   #8

Find me on the Map

Send Motoxxx43:
    a Private Message

One other thing I forgot to mention is the wake behind my boat has changed. I dont know if it is for the better or worse but it does not effect me. We have done the wake board behind it before but it is not the best boat for wakeboarding to begin with. I dont see tubing or skiing being effected by this change. Best I can describe: at a slower speed there is a 3'-4' fountain of water that pops up directly behind the outdrive. Looks gnarly.
    Old 01-26-2015, 02:50 PM   #9

chadepperson99 is currently offline
    My Model: 258 Shabah
    My Engine: 7.4L MPI, BRAVO 3
    Gallery Images: 0

Send chadepperson99:
    a Private Message

Quote:
    Originally Posted by Motoxxx43 View Post
    One other thing I forgot to mention is the wake behind my boat has changed. I dont know if it is for the better or worse but it does not effect me. We have done the wake board behind it before but it is not the best boat for wakeboarding to begin with. I dont see tubing or skiing being effected by this change. Best I can describe: at a slower speed there is a 3'-4' fountain of water that pops up directly behind the outdrive. Looks gnarly.
    Moto, do you have any pictures of the tabs after you installed them, I know the manufacturer suggests installing them towards the outside of the hull, but I have noticed alot of Mariah,owners have to move towards the center of the hull to get them to fit, I have a 258 with the 7.4, and really have been considering a set of ss smart tabs, it really needs some help getting on plane.
    Old 01-29-2015, 08:35 PM   #10

Find me on the Map

Send Motoxxx43:
    a Private Message

I don't have photo with the tabs at this time.
    Attached Images
    File Type: jpg uploadfromtaptalk1422567279989.jpg (48.4 KB, 44 views)