Want to get rid of the ads? Become a member by registering today.
The Mariah Owners Club

Forum Left Top

Welcome to the The Mariah Owners Club.

Need advice on Replacing Z240 Rub Rail

Original Mariah Talk

Old 03-13-2008, 07:48 AM   #1

WetWilly is currently offline
Find me on the Map
My Year: 1996
My Model: Z240 Talari
My Engine: 7.4L Bravo III
Gallery Images: 25

Send WetWilly:
a Private Message

Default Need advice on Replacing Z240 Rub Rail

Well it looks like I need some help again... so here goes.

I need to replace the rub rails on our Z240, and I mean both parts, the hard plastic rail and the vinyl insert (I ordered both OEM parts from TACO Marine).

I was wondering if anyone has done this before and can offer me some advice or can share any "tricks of the trade" to help me get this done right the first time.

All input is greatly appreciated!

WetWilly

PS - When I am done, I should have enough vinyl insert to do several more boats if anyone is in need of the same type of insert... (Had to purchase it in bulk-200ft)

Last edited by WetWilly; 03-13-2008 at 12:48 PM. Reason: Corrected poor spelling
  • Old 03-13-2008, 02:24 PM   #2

180diablo is currently offline
    Find me on the Map
    My Year: 1993
    My Model: 1993 Diablo 180
    My Engine: 3.0L Mercruiser AlphaI
    Gallery Images: 30

Send 180diablo:
    a Private Message

Well, last season on my Diablo we replaced just the rubber rail. So I can't give you any tips for doing the hard rail.

I ordered my rail through my local marine supply store and it was Taco Marine as well. I believe I paid about $160-$180 for about 70 feet of it. We figured out that my boat (18 ft) would use over 50 ft of it, so we had to order in the 70 foot roll. Which it is always best to have more, then to find out you are short.

For my boat:
    http://www.tacomarine.com/item--1-1-...-A11-0638.html

Taco Marine Install Tips:
    http://www.tacomarine.com/ccp51/medi..._TIPS_BOOK.pdf

Basically what we did to replace the rub rail was:

Before starting: Open the box, place the rub rail on a dock in pure sunlight to warm it up so it expands. Leave it there for however long you want (half hour? hour?).

1) Moved the boat into shallow water. If you have a trailer, it might be easier/harder (thinking about height, but also stability on the trailer).

2) Two people held the boat (one at stern, one bow) from bobbing around. Another person guided the rub rail into the hard rail and another fed it into the rail.

3) Remove the plate at the stern that holds the 2 sides together (dont lose the two screws).

4) Yank on the old rub rail and spin the boat around to remove it. Alternatively, have someone posted on the other side to pull.

5) Once removed, start at the stern giving yourself a bit of extra material and one person slowly feeds the rub rail into the bottom of the rub rail. Then the other person uses their thumb or a smooth piece of plastic to "pop" the top of the rub rail into the hard rail.

6) Continue along pushing towards the stern to "cram" as much material in there as possible. If you push towards the bow, you will stretch the material and possibly crack the rub rail.

7) When you reach the stern again, cut the rub rail with a knife and then lock it down with that plate and the 2 screws.

8) Grab a beer or five..

When we did ours, we basically just pushed the rub rail to where it was on the boat. We didnt really try to "cram" the rub rail to the stern, but should have. I hope it survived the winter. hehe.

Downside is when the boat would rub up against the walls inside the locks and scuff it up a bit. I was like ... nooooooooo I dont want to damage it the first time out.

Good luck doing the hard rail though. I would just follow the directions in the Taco marine and see what you come up with. Document it as well. I'am sure the other members on here would appreciate it.

Old 03-13-2008, 04:19 PM   #3

Find me on the Map

Send WetWilly:
    a Private Message

Hi 180diablo,

Thank you for the great write-up and the link to Taco Marine's tips!

I just finished reading it and now I know why one of the marinas wished me "good luck". Wouldn't you know it, I just happen to have the V12-0303 insert, I am not looking forward to working 2" at a time for the next 70+feet.

Oh well, I guess if it's got to be done, then so be it...

Again, thanks 180diablo and yes, I'll document my ordeal and try to take some pictures as well.

Thinking positive, thinking positive, thinking.....,
    WetWilly
    Old 03-13-2008, 04:27 PM   #4

mikeyt is currently offline
    Find me on the Map
    My Model: Shabah 180
    My Engine: 4.3
    Gallery Images: 14

Send mikeyt:
    a Private Message

What about finding a way of lubricating the track or the rubber? It might make it easier to slide thru...
    Old 03-13-2008, 05:10 PM   #5

Find me on the Map

Send 180diablo:
    a Private Message

Quote:
    Originally Posted by mikeyt View Post
    What about finding a way of lubricating the track or the rubber? It might make it easier to slide thru...
    Actually I think that is the preferred method of installing the rubber rails. Find some white grease and apply it onto the rubber to help it slide. We just installed it by press fitting it in there.

It might also depend on what style of rub rail you have on your boat. I was simply referring to the design of rub rail on my boat.

Willy: May the force be with you!
    Old 03-13-2008, 10:28 PM   #6

S.L.P. is currently offline
    My Model: 2000 Z260 MCC 7.4L MPI BravoIII
    Gallery Images: 14

Send S.L.P.:
    a Private Message

Wet Willy,
    I have never replaced the rigid trim, but have on many occasions, and on several boats, removed the rub rail insert and replaced it.
    Every season, I would remove the rub rail to retighten the screws beneath. They bind the upper and lower halves of the boat together. To reinstall it, I used a mixture of liquid soap and water in a spray bottle to lubricate both rail pieces. I prefered to do this on a warm day, in full sun, to soften the material. Sometimes additional gentle persuasion w/ a rubber mallett was needed. Be careful not to pull/push the material as it will stretch. The Z260 was done last year, it was started at the bow and proceeded to the stern. On this boat , the ends of the insert were found to be screwed to the rigid rail and hidden w/ a cover plate. Job is not difficult, can be tedious. I always did this on its trailer. An assistant to support and guide the material would help avoid scratching the hull. You may find several stainless screws that have loosened or are stripped. Best to tighten them up with some epoxy or similiar product. I have even added additional screws where I felt necessary
    steve
    Old 03-13-2008, 10:56 PM   #7

300sflyer is currently offline
    Find me on the Map
    Gallery Images: 0

Send 300sflyer:
    a Private Message

I am going to replace mine as well, and bought it off Ebay. I plan on doing it this spring, once the weather warms up a bit.

My thought was to get a pail of hot water, boiled from the kettle, and then dunk the roll in it, pulling it out of the pail as I go. I also think it would be much easier to do out of the water, with the boat on the trailer.
    Old 03-14-2008, 08:23 AM   #8

Find me on the Map

Send WetWilly:
    a Private Message

I want to thank everyone for their advice!

Mikeyt and 180diablo, I thought of using a lube to "pull" the insert through the hard rub rail base too, but it looks like there is too much of a friction fit and the curves around the bow and towards the stern make this an unlikely option. Looks like TACO Marine new what they were talking about considering they designed the d*mn thing.

Funny thing 300sflyer, that's one of the ways TACO says to soften up the rub rail, hot water for about 20 minutes. Just remember, they say no hotter than 120 degrees F!

Well I'm still open to other ideas and when we get a little warmer weather, on it goes! Mean while, next week it's off to the mountains for a little more spring skiing.

WetWilly
    Old 03-17-2008, 03:31 PM   #9

Find me on the Map

Send 180diablo:
    a Private Message

Quote:
    Originally Posted by WetWilly View Post
    Well I'm still open to other ideas and when we get a little warmer weather, on it goes! Mean while, next week it's off to the mountains for a little more spring skiing.

WetWilly
    Aiight, im comin down... save me a seat! LOL.

We have ummm ... ant hills here in Ontario. The biggest is around 700ft (blue mountain) and the ones closer to me are around 400ft range. Plus about a 5-30 odd minute line up to get up them (all depending on amount of people there).

Hot water from your tap should be sufficient to soften up the rubber. But I liked the idea of soap and water in a spray bottle.

I also don't have that "luxury" of putting my boat on a trailer. So I had to make do with what I had... LOL!
    Old 12-13-2009, 03:39 PM   #10

michaelb is currently offline
    My Model: Talari 22
    My Engine: 5.7 lt Brava I
    Gallery Images: 0

Send michaelb:
    a Private Message

Default Re: Need advice on Replacing Z240 Rub Rail

Hi folks

First time post, I love the site, lots of info but must say i'm getting jealous being reminded of the extended boating season if you live in the south.

When installing the rub rail on my 22' talari I installed a metal pull on the leading edge of the insert. this was actually a 6 inch piece of knurled metal off of the kids bikes. it had a threaded hole on the bottom so I simply attached it by puttiing a bolt from the inside of the rub rail, and used it to pull while spraying with soap and water.

Michaelb