Want to get rid of the ads? Become a member by registering today.
The Mariah Owners Club

Forum Left Top

Welcome to the The Mariah Owners Club.

New member, about to buy a Z202...

Original Mariah Talk

Old 02-04-2011, 12:11 PM   #1

Steve91T is currently offline
My Year: 1995
My Model: Z202
My Engine: 5.7 Alpha 1
Gallery Images: 0

Send Steve91T:
a Private Message

Default New member, about to buy a Z202...

Hello all, I'm hoping to become a member of a Mariah soon! I just learned about Mariah's when I came across this boat for sale.

1995 MARIAH Shabah Z202 For Sale In Danville, Virginia - BoatTrader.com

I did some research on it and found out a little about the company. When I saw the boat, I feel in love with it. It's dirty, and needs a good waxing, but other than that, it's perfect. The marina is selling it for a lady. Her husband died and she's trying to get rid of the boat. The good news is the dealer has been maintaining that boat since it was new. They know the bellows and gimbal bearings were replaced a couple of years ago. I looked around and couldn't find any soft spots at all. It looks solid, although, rot is still a concern of mine being that it's 16 years old. There is an panel under the passenger glove box where the fire bottle is that's come loose. The marina said they would fix it for me.

They are also going to do a compression check, start it up, check the outdrive and basically look over the boat. There is an access panel in the floor that's screwed down. I want them to open that up and see what the hull and stringers look like. The boat has been covered it's entire life (dry lift), and it shows.

I also managed to have them included a tandem axle trailer for that price. Do you think that's a fair price including the trailer?

Anyway, I'm really hoping that everything checks out. From what I've read, these are awesome boats and that they were made well. Spring can't get here soon enough.

I've got some reading to do! I just thought I'd say hello.

Steve
  • Old 02-04-2011, 03:07 PM   #2

Zackattack is currently offline
    Find me on the Map
    My Year: 1994
    My Model: Z212 Shabah
    Gallery Images: 6

Send Zackattack:
    a Private Message

Default Re: New member, about to buy a Z202...

It looks like you found a nice boat and are taking all the needed precautions. I didnt see engine hours? But all in all that sounds like a very fair price including the galv. trailer.

I too am VERY anxious for spring. I am a pretty new Mariah owner and cannot wait to get her out of my garage and on the water.
    Old 02-04-2011, 03:14 PM   #3

Send Steve91T:
    a Private Message

Quote:
    Originally Posted by Zackattack View Post
    It looks like you found a nice boat and are taking all the needed precautions. I didnt see engine hours? But all in all that sounds like a very fair price including the galv. trailer.

I too am VERY anxious for spring. I am a pretty new Mariah owner and cannot wait to get her out of my garage and on the water.
    It's got 406 hours.

I had a very nice 19 ft Larson bowrider with a 4.3 Volvo. Great boat. Sold it because we thought we were going to be moving, but now it looks like we are staying here for a while.

My wife was the one who suggested we get another boat....how cool is that!

Anyway, I love that this is not your normal Bayliner or even Sea Ray. Nothing wrong with them, I just like having something not common.

It just needs to be so cold so I can actually go down there and buy the thing!

Steve
    Old 02-04-2011, 03:22 PM   #4

Find me on the Map

Send Zackattack:
    a Private Message

I'd go and eat my lunch in it in thier showroom and buy it! My wife enjoys the boat too, and my son thinks that its his. It great to have a family that enjoys the water.

400 hours isnt bad at all, mine has 360 and shows very little wear. I too rescently sold my latest Bayliner and was determined to not even look at a Bayliner when searching. I was just lucky to find the boat I did at the right time. I had her out twice in very cold Fall weather and just absolutly loved the ride. These boats are very well put together.

GO GET IT
    Old 02-04-2011, 03:31 PM   #5

Send Steve91T:
    a Private Message

That's good to hear. What do you have? What kind of performance can I expect from this thing? Top speed, good cruising speed, fuel burn?

I've read that it's a smooth ride. Our Larson was pretty rough.

One more question, we are going to need a bimini top, or convertible top (I'm not sure what the difference is). Something to allow us to get out of the sun during the day. Any idea where to get one?
    Old 02-04-2011, 03:52 PM   #6

Find me on the Map

Send Zackattack:
    a Private Message

I have a 94 Z212, very similar to yours, you can see pictures in the gallery under my year and my name and boat.

The last owner had taken off some of the middle graphics as you can see from my little pic by my name, compared to the old ones in the gallery, and I think it looks better without.

I have not even been able to burn enough fuel to make the guage move, but she does move on the water well. I think my top speed was over 60, but it seemed to rev very high. Its nice cruising speed seemed to be around 40. I need to get her out and really do some good investigative running in order to see if the prop is right come spring.I sure she will be thirsty, but absolutely no disappointment on performance. Waves are smooth as butter with this hull design and weight combo.

I do not have a bimini either, the previous(original) owner had taken it off and its gone, I can see the screw holes in the window frame to indicate it existed but no hardware came with the boat. I may try and build one, with the aid of an upholstery guy, but here in the Northwest for the most part when the sun does come out, we like to get every ounce possible. So I may use the 800 - 1000 on something else. I think bimini and convertible are the same, just a simple frame designed for shade for the main cockpit area. West Marine has all the fittings and poles needed (minus the fabric) or just have the local boat upholstery shop put one together.
    Old 02-04-2011, 04:50 PM   #7

indykoch is currently offline
    Find me on the Map
    My Year: 1999
    My Engine: 350 Magnum Alpha One
    Gallery Images: 18

Send indykoch:
    a Private Message

Looks like a nice boat! I too think you should GO GET IT!!

A bimini top is the type that you can stand under the entire thing. A convertible top is one where the front of it attaches to the windshield and is generally too short to stand under. Bimini's are much more popular now, but the convertible provides a lot more protection if you don't have the full camper enclosure of the bimini.

Good luck and keep us posted!
    Currently - '07 Ebbtide 2600 CBR
    Old 02-04-2011, 04:54 PM   #8

Dredd is currently offline
    Find me on the Map
    My Year: 1993
    My Model: MX-19 - Sold
    My Engine: 4.3

Send Dredd:
    a Private Message

The price sounds right to me too. Looks like a nice find.

A convertible top attaches to the windshield.

A bimini is up high so you can stand up under it.
    Old 02-04-2011, 05:38 PM   #9

rajjneef is currently offline
    Find me on the Map
    My Year: 97'
    My Model: Z242 Shabah
    My Engine: 350 efi Bravo III
    Gallery Images: 3

Send rajjneef:
    a Private Message

Looks nice! I would guess it to be around $7000 this time of year. If it all checks out and everything works then it would be a great boat. I would guess your top speed to be about 55mph with a light load and calmer water. Good luck!
    Old 02-04-2011, 09:49 PM   #10

Send Steve91T:
    a Private Message

I would go get it right now but I can't find a stinking trailer! The marina said they thought they could get a great deal on a nice tandem trailer, but there is a title issue. So, I've been looking for a trailer. There are NO TRAILERS in this area! The best I found is a single axle trailer for $1400 from a marina. And he said he would make sure it had good tires and the surge brakes worked. I'm considering it, but I really wanted to stay under $1000.

Here's my question, I know the weight of this boat is somewhere around 3,000 lbs. Is a 3,500 lb gross trailer weight enough?

I've actually e-mailed a few people on craigslist in my area who are selling junk boats for $2000 with the trailer. I'm thinking if I have to, I'll make sure the trailer is good, and the engine is good, then I'll part out the engine and out drive and anything else I can. It's a lot of work though.

I WANT THIS MARIAH! I just need to figure out the trailer situation. Another problem is the marina said the lady who owns the boat will sell it for no less than $7500 with no trailer. So, if I have to get a trailer on my own, I could easily end up having $9000 into this boat including a trailer.

That's $1000 more than I wanted to spend.

Anyway, I appreciate the comments. Glad you like the boat! I'll keep you posted.

Thank you again,
    Steve