Want to get rid of the ads? Become a member by registering today.
The Mariah Owners Club

Forum Left Top

Welcome to the The Mariah Owners Club.

Question on our new Z202

Introductions

Old 08-17-2010, 02:48 AM   #1

Mariah95 is currently offline
My Year: 1995
My Model: Z202
My Engine: 5.7L Brave I
Gallery Images: 0

Send Mariah95:
a Private Message

Default Question on our new Z202

We just took our 1995 Mariah Z202 out to the lake this weekend for the first time and love the boat. But, the last owner didn't use her much in the last 5 years and wasn't able to tell us alot about the epuipment on it. First, there is some kind of buzzer that goes off when we are sitting in neutral or going really slow for awhile, then stops when we get it up to speed. I was wondering if anyone could tell us what it means or why it's doing that. Then there is 3 black buttons labeled, Up, Down and Set/Reset on the right side of the dash, don't have a clue what they do either. And last, it looks to have some kind of digital readout in the center/top of the gauges on the dash. I am looking for some answers so that we can go out and enjoy our Mariah some more knowing all the things about her, and we looking to enjoy hearing about everyone else's fun with their Mariahs' also. Thanks.
  • Old 08-17-2010, 04:16 AM   #2

DKM187 is currently offline
    My Engine: 5.7L EFI
    Gallery Images: 2

Send DKM187:
    a Private Message

Default Re: Question on our new Z202

Hello and congratulations! I have a Shabah Z202 and might be able to help you out with some of your questions. I bought mine this Memorial day weekend and spent the first few weeks going over everything on the boat. The high pitched buzzer you hear is a warning device. IF it is working properly you should hear it for a few seconds when you first turn the key on, this is to let you know the device is working. Once the engine is running however you should not hear the alarm. It will sound if the water temperature is too high or the oil pressure is too low. Hopefully someone else will chime in and verify this. What do your gauges look like when it is running? From the sounds of it I would suspect the oil pressure as it is normally less at lower engine speeds, and rises as at higher engine speeds. Your next two questions go together. The 3 black buttons control the digital readout. It should say somthing like "Mariah" when you first turn the key on. Press either the UP or DOWN buttons to scroll through the selections. I don't recall offhand the selections but they may be: Trip A, Trip B, Destination, Average MPH, Barometer. Hope you have fun with your new boat, I'm enjoying mine each and every weekend out with it.
    Jason
    Thank you DKM187 for this useful post!
    Mariah95 (08-20-2010)
    Old 08-17-2010, 02:55 PM   #3

Z 202 is currently offline
    Find me on the Map
    My Model: Mariah Shabah 202
    My Engine: 5.7L Alpha 1
    Gallery Images: 6

Send Z 202:
    a Private Message

Quote:
    Originally Posted by DKM187 View Post
    The high pitched buzzer you hear is a warning device. IF it is working properly you should hear it for a few seconds when you first turn the key on, this is to let you know the device is working. Once the engine is running however you should not hear the alarm. It will sound if the water temperature is too high or the oil pressure is too low. Hopefully someone else will chime in and verify this.
    The alarm is also activated by a sensor in the drive lube reservoir, which is typically a little plastic deal located somewhere on top of the engine.

The alarm should only sound for a second or so after start. Any longer and one of the above needs attention...

My Shabah is using what the hybrids are saving!
    Thank you Z 202 for this useful post!
    Mariah95 (08-20-2010)
    Old 08-20-2010, 02:41 AM   #4

Mariah95 is currently offline
    My Engine: 5.7L Brave I
    Gallery Images: 0

Send Mariah95:
    a Private Message

Thanks to both of you for the helpful advice. I believe I found the problem, the little plastic bottle on the top of the engine for the lower gear drive lube was low. There is a lot to learn about this boat yet. It's nothing like the 1983 Ozark that we upgraded from. LOL
    Old 08-21-2010, 12:59 PM   #5

Z 202 is currently offline
    Find me on the Map
    My Model: Mariah Shabah 202
    My Engine: 5.7L Alpha 1
    Gallery Images: 6

Send Z 202:
    a Private Message

Yes, that is often the culprit. Sometimes the drive housing gets an air pocket when it's being filled during service, that reservoir is there to compensate for that. The drive shouldn't consume oi during normal operationl. Keep an eye on your reservoir level, and if it drops appreciably in the next little while, you might want to have your mechanic pressure test the drive next time it's serviced. They can tell if you have a bad seal which is causing the leak.

My Shabah is using what the hybrids are saving!