The Mariah Owners Club

The Mariah Owners Club (http://www.mariahownersclub.com/forum/)
-   Original Mariah Talk (http://www.mariahownersclub.com/forum/original-mariah-talk/)
-   -   Trim switch on throttle (http://www.mariahownersclub.com/forum/original-mariah-talk/2786-trim-switch-throttle.html)

Red Rover 06-20-2009 04:09 PM

Trim switch on throttle

Hi Everyone! Im hoping someone can help. The trim on the throttle stopped working when i installed a new battery. The trim on the back works fine. I think its the switch and it just was a coincidence that i replaced a battery. Any ideas?

Thanks

300sflyer 06-20-2009 08:49 PM

Re: Trim switch on throttle

Are you sure you connected all of the wiring back onto the new battery, the same way as the old one? Sounds to me like one or more wires might not be connected properly.

Red Rover 06-20-2009 10:07 PM

The wires are the exact way i took them off. Is it possible one shorted on something and that blew the switch on the throttle?

WetWilly 06-21-2009 01:09 AM

Hi Red Rover, it's possible... I would trace the wiring back to the trim pump and check all connections for corrosion and insure the trim Pump solenoids are getting power from the battery after you check the fuses.

Per the manual, there are two large terminals on each trim pump solenoid, one terminal from each solenoid should be bridged together from a 110 amp fuse (square looking) and wiring going to the Positive side of the battery. Another fuse, a 20 amp inline is located on a red wire coming from one of the solenoids. the red wire will change to a red/purple wire when it exits the fuse holder and this is where the switches on the throttle get their power from rather than directly from the battery.

Good luck,
WetWilly

Red Rover 06-21-2009 03:27 AM

Thanks alot Wet Willy. That helped out alot. Ill let you know what happens.:wink_thumbup:

ToddQ 06-21-2009 04:08 AM

Hi there. I just had a very similar problem - if you are having a trim up issue. After you check the wires and they all look fine it may be an issue with the port side (left) sensor on the outdrive - that is if you have the Bravo outdrive. There is a round plastic deal that you can unscrew. Make sure that is clean on the inside - if it's not it will not get the current to the switch and the trim up will not work. I cleaned mine and it works as it should.

P.S. I called a boat repair shop and told them that the sensor was bad (not knowing I could clean it) and they quoted me $200 for parts and 4 hours of labor because they have to pull off the outdrive to put the new sensors in.

Lunaticutah 06-25-2009 08:06 PM

I have the same Problem with my throttle switch for the up position... I try to clean the plastic piece but can I get a little more detail where its located?

WetWilly 06-25-2009 08:36 PM

Hi Lunaticutah,

The plastic pieces ToddQ is talking about are the trim Limit and the trim sender units on the outdrive. The one he referrers to is the trim limit switch, it prevents the outdrive from going to high and causing damage when under power.

The trim units are located at the piviot points on the outdrive. They cover the pivot pins and look like small black caps held on with two screws. If you're going to remove them for inspection and cleaning, mark the cap and the gimble before you loosen the screws so you can put them back in the same position later.

WetWilly

Lunaticutah 06-25-2009 08:55 PM

Thanks willy,

I'll be cleaning it when I get home from work. I'll let you Know how it goes. :)

jgreen 07-13-2009 05:12 AM

I knew joining this site would be a good thing. My 240 Talari has a similar problem. The trim up won't work at all. Trailer switch up and trim down are good. My difference is that the trim gauge reads full up all the time when under way
Any ideas on where to start the checking would be greatly appreciated.:confused: