The Mariah Owners Club

The Mariah Owners Club (http://www.mariahownersclub.com/forum/)
-   Original Mariah Talk (http://www.mariahownersclub.com/forum/original-mariah-talk/)
-   -   Trim switch on throttle (http://www.mariahownersclub.com/forum/original-mariah-talk/2786-trim-switch-throttle.html)

Red Rover 06-20-2009 04:09 PM

Trim switch on throttle

Hi Everyone! Im hoping someone can help. The trim on the throttle stopped working when i installed a new battery. The trim on the back works fine. I think its the switch and it just was a coincidence that i replaced a battery. Any ideas?

Thanks

300sflyer 06-20-2009 08:49 PM

Re: Trim switch on throttle

Are you sure you connected all of the wiring back onto the new battery, the same way as the old one? Sounds to me like one or more wires might not be connected properly.

Red Rover 06-20-2009 10:07 PM

The wires are the exact way i took them off. Is it possible one shorted on something and that blew the switch on the throttle?

WetWilly 06-21-2009 01:09 AM

Hi Red Rover, it's possible... I would trace the wiring back to the trim pump and check all connections for corrosion and insure the trim Pump solenoids are getting power from the battery after you check the fuses.

Per the manual, there are two large terminals on each trim pump solenoid, one terminal from each solenoid should be bridged together from a 110 amp fuse (square looking) and wiring going to the Positive side of the battery. Another fuse, a 20 amp inline is located on a red wire coming from one of the solenoids. the red wire will change to a red/purple wire when it exits the fuse holder and this is where the switches on the throttle get their power from rather than directly from the battery.

Good luck,
WetWilly

Red Rover 06-21-2009 03:27 AM

Thanks alot Wet Willy. That helped out alot. Ill let you know what happens.:wink_thumbup:

ToddQ 06-21-2009 04:08 AM

Hi there. I just had a very similar problem - if you are having a trim up issue. After you check the wires and they all look fine it may be an issue with the port side (left) sensor on the outdrive - that is if you have the Bravo outdrive. There is a round plastic deal that you can unscrew. Make sure that is clean on the inside - if it's not it will not get the current to the switch and the trim up will not work. I cleaned mine and it works as it should.

P.S. I called a boat repair shop and told them that the sensor was bad (not knowing I could clean it) and they quoted me $200 for parts and 4 hours of labor because they have to pull off the outdrive to put the new sensors in.

Lunaticutah 06-25-2009 08:06 PM

I have the same Problem with my throttle switch for the up position... I try to clean the plastic piece but can I get a little more detail where its located?

WetWilly 06-25-2009 08:36 PM

Hi Lunaticutah,

The plastic pieces ToddQ is talking about are the trim Limit and the trim sender units on the outdrive. The one he referrers to is the trim limit switch, it prevents the outdrive from going to high and causing damage when under power.

The trim units are located at the piviot points on the outdrive. They cover the pivot pins and look like small black caps held on with two screws. If you're going to remove them for inspection and cleaning, mark the cap and the gimble before you loosen the screws so you can put them back in the same position later.

WetWilly

Lunaticutah 06-25-2009 08:55 PM

Thanks willy,

I'll be cleaning it when I get home from work. I'll let you Know how it goes. :)

jgreen 07-13-2009 05:12 AM

I knew joining this site would be a good thing. My 240 Talari has a similar problem. The trim up won't work at all. Trailer switch up and trim down are good. My difference is that the trim gauge reads full up all the time when under way
Any ideas on where to start the checking would be greatly appreciated.:confused:

SEMIJim 07-13-2009 01:26 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by jgreen (Post 16533)
Any ideas on where to start the checking would be greatly appreciated.:confused:

As described above: Trim limit and/or position senders are apparently most often the culprit. Mercstuff.com has detailed instructions on their adjustment and replacement: Trim Limit & Sender Switch Adjustments (mercstuff.com).

I wonder why it seems it's always trim up that fails?

Btw: Seller told us trim up didn't work on our boat, when we were first looking at her. Said the trim position gauge probably didn't work, either. Well, the trim position gauge did work and, tho trim up didn't work, initially, by the time we returned to the launch to put her back on the trailer, it did.

Jim

jgreen 07-13-2009 04:09 PM

Thanks Jim, My research so far points to the trim position send and limit switch. I'm first going to try to get the dealer to fix it under warranty, if that fails, is this something an average car guy can fix?

Z 202 07-13-2009 04:23 PM

Replacing the trim limit and trim position senders requires complete removal of the outdrive and the bellhousing. The mercstuff link SEMIJim provided will give you the details. You'll need some special tools to R&R the bellows.

My trim gauge quit a couple of years ago. The contacts for the reisistance disc were all corroded, in the process of cleaning things up I broke the disc itself... :cursing:

The trim gauge itself is more cosmetic that functional IMHO. I usually trim to the best match to the sea conditions, what my tach and speedo are reading, but mostly just by a seat of the pants feel...

SEMIJim 07-13-2009 04:29 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by jgreen (Post 16546)
Thanks Jim,

You're welcome.

Quote:

Originally Posted by jgreen (Post 16546)
... is this something an average car guy can fix?

Looks that way, from the mercstuff docs. But I think it was the mercstuff docs that recommended some Special Tools. Could get kinda $pendy. (I haven't researched it, other than to peruse the mercstuff site. I'm crossing my fingers and praying ours doesn't give us any trouble.)

I would probably get the tools and do it myself. Odd thing: I generally don't work on our own cars, tho I used to wrench on cars extensively, back in the day, but I will work on our own boats. I guess I enjoy working on boats :). I also think part of it is, doing it myself, I know it's done right. Consider: Your car breaks down and, usually, the worst that happens is you're stranded by the side of the road, on dry land, and a towing service comes and gets you. But when you're out in the middle of a large lake, like the kind we're on, maybe out of cell and VHF range, and something fails, well, that's a whole 'nother story! I think if we owned ATVs or snowmobiles I'd work on those, myself, for the same reasons.

Jim

SEMIJim 07-13-2009 04:36 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Z 202 (Post 16548)
My trim gauge quit a couple of years ago. The contacts for the reisistance disc were all corroded, in the process of cleaning things up I broke the disc itself... :cursing:

There is a pair of products, DeoxIT and ProGold, that are reputed to be very good at removing contact corrosion and protecting contacts from corroding, respectively. Our courtesy lights and bilge pump weren't working, and I found it was fuse/fuse-holder corrosion. I removed all the fuses, some of which were very difficult to get out, treated all the fuse holders with those two products, and now the fuses snick in and out of those fuse holders like new. I wonder if treating the trim sensors would make sense?

Quote:

Originally Posted by Z 202 (Post 16548)
The trim gauge itself is more cosmetic that functional IMHO.

Perhaps, but a non-functional gauge would annoy me. I would have to fix it :p

Jim

jgreen 07-13-2009 06:23 PM

Thanks a lot guys, I'll try cleaning the discs first to see if that clears the problem. After reading the instructions for this, I'll take it in. Not something to do in the Wisconsin woods

Lunaticutah 07-13-2009 07:15 PM

After looking in the repair manual there seems to be a manufacture tool that is needed to unscrew the star shaped trim sending unit located under the plastic trim adjusting cap and bottom. Not quite sure if the problem lays in the plastic electrical component or in the star shaped bolt that screws into the out drive in witch the trim sending unit adjuster bolts over top of.

jgreen 07-14-2009 01:40 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Lunaticutah (Post 16565)
After looking in the repair manual there seems to be a manufacture tool that is needed to unscrew the star shaped trim sending unit located under the plastic trim adjusting cap and bottom. Not quite sure if the problem lays in the plastic electrical component or in the star shaped bolt that screws into the out drive in witch the trim sending unit adjuster bolts over top of.

Thanks, I don't have a factory manual yet, hope one comes up on ebay soon.
By "star shaped" I assume you mean a torx bolt. I'll try cleaning and adjusting next weekend.

WetWilly 07-14-2009 10:34 AM

Hi jgreen, consider becoming a contributing member and you'll have access to the literature you seek and more. Click here if your interested.

WetWilly

Red Rover 07-15-2009 12:01 AM

I took my throttle off and found that the wires leading to the back had corroded about a foot back on a connector piece. Hooked it all up and everything works great. Thanks for everyones help. :D

jgreen 07-15-2009 12:23 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Red Rover (Post 16656)
I took my throttle off and found that the wires leading to the back had corroded about a foot back on a connector piece. Hooked it all up and everything works great. Thanks for everyones help. :D

Another great idea, thanks. Next weekend I'm going on a corrosion busting day and clean everything related to the trim. Fingers will be crossed.
Thanks

midwest mariah 07-15-2009 01:53 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by WetWilly (Post 15775)

Hi Lunaticutah,

The one he referrers to is the trim limit switch, it prevents the outdrive from going to high and causing damage when under power.

WetWilly

So how high should the outdrive go to not cause damage. mine abruptly stops at the middle point on my guage, from there, i need to use the trailer button to get it any higher. I thought this was normal, just double checking if you please.

;)

SEMIJim 07-15-2009 02:49 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by midwest mariah (Post 16678)
So how high should the outdrive go to not cause damage. mine abruptly stops at the middle point on my guage, from there, i need to use the trailer button to get it any higher. I thought this was normal, just double checking if you please.

The Alpha I Gen II outdrive on our '94 182 Barchetta behaves the same way.

But along those lines: Is it safe to operate the engine with the throttle disengaged from the shifter with that button on the axis on the shift/throttle control, while the drive's "parked" in its trailering position, or is that hard on the drive?

I only ask that because I accidentally did that, yesterday, after replacing the prop in the water. A friend suggested I could damage the drive that way because, tho it's not in gear, there's still power being transferred to the stern drive.

Jim

94z190talari 07-15-2009 03:14 PM

Do not operate the boat with the engine any higher than the trim button will take it. If you do - only at idle speeds and I wouldn't do that very long.

The gears are not made to work at those severe angles and will cause damage $$$$.

You won't be happy with the results.

I have run mine up higher when going through some stumpy fields on the Brazos river but not for long.

94z190talari 07-15-2009 03:18 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by midwest mariah (Post 16678)

;)

Like I said in earlier post - use the trailer button to raise it on trailer but don't run it like that. If you trimmed any higher at speed it would handle really squirrely and do a lot of damage.

The trim button going halfway is normal - and you don't normally need to use all the way up to get top speed and good handling. Only time mine would be that high would be stumpy or shallow areas (going very slow).

Z 202 07-15-2009 04:25 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by SEMIJim (Post 16684)
But along those lines: Is it safe to operate the engine with the throttle disengaged from the shifter with that button on the axis on the shift/throttle control, while the drive's "parked" in its trailering position, or is that hard on the drive?

I only ask that because I accidentally did that, yesterday, after replacing the prop in the water. A friend suggested I could damage the drive that way because, tho it's not in gear, there's still power being transferred to the stern drive.

Jim

It'll be hard on the U-joints, and could potentially overheat if your drive is raised so that the sea water intake is out of the drink...

Quote:

Originally Posted by 94z190talari (Post 16687)
Do not operate the boat with the engine any higher than the trim button will take it. If you do - only at idle speeds and I wouldn't do that very long.

The gears are not made to work at those severe angles and will cause damage $$$$.

Actually, I believe it stresses the U-joints.

sandon 08-30-2011 06:45 PM

what did you clean it with? Just curious I have the same problem

sandon 08-31-2011 12:50 AM

I have the exact same thing happening. What did you find out?

PCap 07-10-2012 11:04 PM

HI JGreen

It sounds repeative as the others have metioned but the trim sender is the place to start as my trim gauage reads full up. My sender is bad and is being replaced now as we speak.
On my Brovo Three drive its a puck looking unit with a cable lead on side of drive. My trim works but other than looking I had no idea where it was other than feeling where she was based on getting the bow where I wanted her. And yes the transom trim switch works fine on mine reguardless. i need the drive up in my slip so its imperrative to know where the drive is.
Im no mechanic just going thru this now and pretty handy and I want to be able to help

Paul

CocoJoe 07-07-2022 04:25 PM

1995 Mariah Talari 180 /3.0 . I’m having an issue raising the outboard … it won’t raise out of water? I hit the throttle trim up it won’t raise when it’s down. The trim works on water. I was able to jump the solenoid on pump/motor to raise the outboard. Is there something I’m not doing correctly to raise the outboard with the switch??

mikeyt 07-07-2022 10:41 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by CocoJoe (Post 69860)
1995 Mariah Talari 180 /3.0 . I’m having an issue raising the outboard … it won’t raise out of water? I hit the throttle trim up it won’t raise when it’s down. The trim works on water. I was able to jump the solenoid on pump/motor to raise the outboard. Is there something I’m not doing correctly to raise the outboard with the switch??

I think i answered your question over on the Facebook group but in the event it was someone else, your 'up' solenoid needs replacement and you may as well replace them both while you're at it. Here's a link to to the troubleshooter and wiring.