The Mariah Owners Club

The Mariah Owners Club (http://www.mariahownersclub.com/forum/)
-   Original Mariah Talk (http://www.mariahownersclub.com/forum/original-mariah-talk/)
-   -   Trim switch on throttle (http://www.mariahownersclub.com/forum/original-mariah-talk/2786-trim-switch-throttle.html)

jgreen 07-15-2009 12:23 AM

Re: Trim switch on throttle

Quote:

Originally Posted by Red Rover (Post 16656)
I took my throttle off and found that the wires leading to the back had corroded about a foot back on a connector piece. Hooked it all up and everything works great. Thanks for everyones help. :D

Another great idea, thanks. Next weekend I'm going on a corrosion busting day and clean everything related to the trim. Fingers will be crossed.
Thanks

midwest mariah 07-15-2009 01:53 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by WetWilly (Post 15775)

Hi Lunaticutah,

The one he referrers to is the trim limit switch, it prevents the outdrive from going to high and causing damage when under power.

WetWilly

So how high should the outdrive go to not cause damage. mine abruptly stops at the middle point on my guage, from there, i need to use the trailer button to get it any higher. I thought this was normal, just double checking if you please.

;)

SEMIJim 07-15-2009 02:49 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by midwest mariah (Post 16678)
So how high should the outdrive go to not cause damage. mine abruptly stops at the middle point on my guage, from there, i need to use the trailer button to get it any higher. I thought this was normal, just double checking if you please.

The Alpha I Gen II outdrive on our '94 182 Barchetta behaves the same way.

But along those lines: Is it safe to operate the engine with the throttle disengaged from the shifter with that button on the axis on the shift/throttle control, while the drive's "parked" in its trailering position, or is that hard on the drive?

I only ask that because I accidentally did that, yesterday, after replacing the prop in the water. A friend suggested I could damage the drive that way because, tho it's not in gear, there's still power being transferred to the stern drive.

Jim

94z190talari 07-15-2009 03:14 PM

Do not operate the boat with the engine any higher than the trim button will take it. If you do - only at idle speeds and I wouldn't do that very long.

The gears are not made to work at those severe angles and will cause damage $$$$.

You won't be happy with the results.

I have run mine up higher when going through some stumpy fields on the Brazos river but not for long.

94z190talari 07-15-2009 03:18 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by midwest mariah (Post 16678)

;)

Like I said in earlier post - use the trailer button to raise it on trailer but don't run it like that. If you trimmed any higher at speed it would handle really squirrely and do a lot of damage.

The trim button going halfway is normal - and you don't normally need to use all the way up to get top speed and good handling. Only time mine would be that high would be stumpy or shallow areas (going very slow).

Z 202 07-15-2009 04:25 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by SEMIJim (Post 16684)
But along those lines: Is it safe to operate the engine with the throttle disengaged from the shifter with that button on the axis on the shift/throttle control, while the drive's "parked" in its trailering position, or is that hard on the drive?

I only ask that because I accidentally did that, yesterday, after replacing the prop in the water. A friend suggested I could damage the drive that way because, tho it's not in gear, there's still power being transferred to the stern drive.

Jim

It'll be hard on the U-joints, and could potentially overheat if your drive is raised so that the sea water intake is out of the drink...

Quote:

Originally Posted by 94z190talari (Post 16687)
Do not operate the boat with the engine any higher than the trim button will take it. If you do - only at idle speeds and I wouldn't do that very long.

The gears are not made to work at those severe angles and will cause damage $$$$.

Actually, I believe it stresses the U-joints.

sandon 08-30-2011 06:45 PM

what did you clean it with? Just curious I have the same problem

sandon 08-31-2011 12:50 AM

I have the exact same thing happening. What did you find out?

PCap 07-10-2012 11:04 PM

HI JGreen

It sounds repeative as the others have metioned but the trim sender is the place to start as my trim gauage reads full up. My sender is bad and is being replaced now as we speak.
On my Brovo Three drive its a puck looking unit with a cable lead on side of drive. My trim works but other than looking I had no idea where it was other than feeling where she was based on getting the bow where I wanted her. And yes the transom trim switch works fine on mine reguardless. i need the drive up in my slip so its imperrative to know where the drive is.
Im no mechanic just going thru this now and pretty handy and I want to be able to help

Paul

CocoJoe 07-07-2022 04:25 PM

1995 Mariah Talari 180 /3.0 . I’m having an issue raising the outboard … it won’t raise out of water? I hit the throttle trim up it won’t raise when it’s down. The trim works on water. I was able to jump the solenoid on pump/motor to raise the outboard. Is there something I’m not doing correctly to raise the outboard with the switch??