Want to get rid of the ads? Become a member by registering today.
The Mariah Owners Club

Forum Left Top

Welcome to the The Mariah Owners Club.

What are the fuses under the dash for? Z216

Original Mariah Talk

Old 04-03-2009, 07:14 PM   #1

anthonybradley is currently offline
My Model: Z216 '97 Merc 5.7l Alpha one.
Gallery Images: 0

Send anthonybradley:
a Private Message

Default What are the fuses under the dash for? Z216

Hi,

Just going thru tidying up the electrics in my Z216, and am unsure what items the 6way 'blade' type automtive fuse block under / behind the dash feeds? It must be somthing serious as there is a 15A and a 30A fuse amongst others. Its powered from a cable thats fused into the battery switch common terminal, thus whatever battery the engine is switched to.

Is there a proper circuit diagram for these boats other than the harness layout in the manual?

I currently have the engine out so ignition etc is disconnected; are all the nav lights, wiper etc etc are all powered from the engine loom? As they don't currently power up and the looms are so tightly packed in its very hard to get to or trace cables.

UPDATE - just found some circuit diagrams in the archive section, they show the fuse block but not what it feeds.

Thanks!

Anthony

Last edited by anthonybradley; 04-03-2009 at 09:56 PM. Reason: updated
  • Old 04-05-2009, 09:46 PM   #2

Send anthonybradley:
    a Private Message

Default Re: What are the fuses under the dash for? Z216

So it seems nobody else knows either?

FYI I have traced several of them, one is fan in cabin, one is electric aerial, and another is electric helm seat.

Oh and yes just about everything is powered by a supply from the engine loom, so if you ever loose dash power check the circuit breaker on the engine.

And my final tip for the day, the trim pump has a fuse built into that little red plastic square where the positive power lead attaches to the relay unit next to the pump. So if you lose power trim it maybe that, mine was corroded so partly flaked away, not sure how long it would have lasted.

Hmm well seems I am talking to myself here, anyway hope that info helps someone someday!

Anthony
    Old 04-05-2009, 10:16 PM   #3

z275st is currently offline
    Find me on the Map
    My Model: 2001 Z275st 496HO Bravo1
    Gallery Images: 33

Send z275st:
    a Private Message

Hey Anthony , Did you say something?

Seriously, I don't think anyone is ignoring you, but only someone with your same boat may know the answer, they may not have read it yet, may not know, or may have the same question and you just helped them out.
    We are all about trading info here and helping out when we can.

Last edited by z275st; 04-05-2009 at 10:18 PM. Reason: ---
    Old 04-05-2009, 10:25 PM   #4

WetWilly is currently offline
    Find me on the Map
    My Year: 1996
    My Model: Z240 Talari
    My Engine: 7.4L Bravo III
    Gallery Images: 25

Send WetWilly:
    a Private Message

Hi Anthony,

Sorry if it seemed like you were alone, your not, and as z275st said, you may have been dealing with an issue our other members haven't experienced yet. I'm sure sometime in the future, your post will definitely help one of our members too!

All in all, I want to thank you for passing along what you discovered with your fuse bank, engine loom and trim pump fuse. Most of the information we gather is through members like yourself, troubleshooting a issue and documenting what they find and how they resolved them.

When it comes to boats in general, the electrical systems seem to be the most mysterious and documentation is very elusive indeed. It becomes more difficult when there are so many different models, each with possible unique setups to deal with. As you and other members have shown, some of the Cabin models appear to have the most complicated wiring.

I think in the future, especially when we have to deal with electrical issues, If we can all remember to take a little more time to diagram and photograph the circuit or fuse layouts and post them on the forum it would be invaluable to other members.

Thanks again,
    WetWilly
    Old 04-06-2009, 06:44 PM   #5

Send anthonybradley:
    a Private Message

Quote:
    Originally Posted by z275st View Post
    Seriously, I don't think anyone is ignoring you, but only someone with your same boat may know the answer
    Sorry I mean for that to sound so abrasive, it was late at night and I wasn't to sure anyone else was an interested in the inane detail of a fuse board or trim pump fuse as I can be

There are several collections of circuit diagrams in the archive on this site, but having studied them I would say use them as a guide only, they are not exact, and obviously changed over time / model; but certianly a good place to start if you want to understand your wiring.

Anthony