Want to get rid of the ads? Become a member by registering today.
The Mariah Owners Club

Forum Left Top

Welcome to the The Mariah Owners Club.

Trailer for a Z216

Trailering and Tow Vehicles

Old 10-01-2008, 10:25 PM   #1

anthonybradley is currently offline
My Model: Z216 '97 Merc 5.7l Alpha one.
Gallery Images: 0

Send anthonybradley:
a Private Message

Default Trailer for a Z216

Hi, sorry to sort of double post but my thread in the orig Mariah forum turned into a trailer thread, so thought I would post it in here to.

Well I am still shopping around for a used trailer for a '97 Z216 (merc 5.7 alpha 1)

I am currently considering a used (and slightly smaller than show here) version of this type:

The one I am looking at doesn't have the middle set of rollers, just the forward and aft ones (but is rated at 2000kg load). The aft crossmemeber swivels to make lauching a bit easier, but am slightly concerned that it doesnt have much keel support; that said neither does the one Mariah apparently recommended although that distributed the weight over larger surface area with the long planks. I have always had problems getting boats on and off those planks, and preffer rollers if it will support it ok.

Any thoughts on that type of trailer?

Thanks, Anthony
  • Old 10-02-2008, 11:59 AM   #2

WetWilly is currently offline
    Find me on the Map
    My Year: 1996
    My Model: Z240 Talari
    My Engine: 7.4L Bravo III
    Gallery Images: 25

Send WetWilly:
    a Private Message

Hi Anthony, Don't worry about the double post, you're right, so I removed the other post and we can continue from here .

I am assuming you are referring to the lack of a keel roller on the last crossmember and if that's the case, it's not a problem. From all of the trailers I have seen, the keel rollers are there only to protect the keel from contact with the trailer cross members when loading and unloading, not to support the hull. The proper area for supporting the hull is between the keel and the sides, not the keel itself. The hull is supported by the side rollers so it is important that you do not set the side rollers too wide or low causing the keel to sit on the keel rollers.

I have always had trailers with the planks and I learned how to load and unload using this type of trailer. While rollers do make it much easier for getting the boat on and off, I still hear the occasional story of how the small contact area of the rollers caused stress to a hull, that was the reason I stayed with the planks, although over the years, I have met many people using roller trailers without any problems. Which ever system you go with, I recommend getting side planks (guides) to assist in guiding your 216Z onto the trailer.

Here is a picture of our trailer showing the side guides:

They work especially great if you have any cross wind or rough water when trying to load. Just put the bow between the guides and move forward, They may not be pretty but they center the boat every time.

WetWilly

Last edited by WetWilly; 10-02-2008 at 12:03 PM.
    Old 10-02-2008, 02:09 PM   #3

blockp is currently offline
    Find me on the Map
    My Model: 99 Jubilee 214
    Gallery Images: 8

Send blockp:
    a Private Message

The advantage & disadvantage of the rollers is how easily the boat rolls on them. This doesn't help you decide what the best trailer to get is, but I always get a kick out of this when it gets brought up.

Quick story... While bringing my boat in to the ramp, I was waiting on the water for another boater to launch his apparently recently purchased bass boat (from a roller trailer). He backed it down in the water, started the motor and couldn't seem to get the boat off the trailer. He had his partner back him further down into the launch, still couldn't move. Now the trailer is well sunk and the boat should be floating. Buddy backs in even further. At this point, the transom is heading under the water rather than floating and everyone on our boat can deduce the problem... owner obviously didn't unstrap the back of the boat. With much frantic yelling and screaming, the boat driver gets the truck driver to pull him back out of the water.

Now safely back on the dry ramp, boat driver hops out and goes to the rear of the boat to see what the problem is (bear in mind, he's taken on a fair amount of water). Upon walking around the rear of the boat, he immediately sees that he didn't take off the outdrive support. He reaches over and unhooks a quick release from the outdrive. The boat driver notes that his beautiful boat is rolling backward off the trailer toward him! So, as any good boat owner would do, he plants his feet on the sloped launch and begins pushing on the back of the boat while yelling and screaming for his buddy (who is casually walking to the back of the boat to see what's going on). Boat owner is putting up a fight, but is getting pushed down the ramp as the boat is slowly rolling backward.

Truck driver now sees what's happening and decides to help push rather than go up front and rehook the winch. There's a short discussion between the two of them at the back of the boat (while struggling mightily to hold the boat) before one of them makes a dash for the front and gets the winch hooked back on the boat.

Nothing I could do but watch as I'm 75' off the ramp waiting in my boat and my truck driver is on the other side of the parking lot retrieving our trailer.

I had visions of this beautiful boat sitting on the concrete boat ramp, but they actually saved it. Seemed like it was sitting 1/3 of the way off the trailer. I was almost certain it was within inches of the tipping point.

I'm not normally a fan of laughing at other peoples woe's, but no boats were damaged in the making of this memory, so I have no problem laughing about this ego squashing moment
    Old 10-02-2008, 02:48 PM   #4

WetWilly is currently offline
    Find me on the Map
    My Year: 1996
    My Model: Z240 Talari
    My Engine: 7.4L Bravo III
    Gallery Images: 25

Send WetWilly:
    a Private Message

Hi blockp,

I agree with you about laughing at other peoples woe's but I'm sorry, your story is just too funny! I would have had to stick my head in the lake just so they wouldn't hear me laughing cause I would have had tears in my eyes and cramps in my gut...

WetWilly
    Old 10-02-2008, 02:53 PM   #5

Z 202 is currently offline
    Find me on the Map
    My Year: 1995
    My Model: Mariah Shabah 202
    My Engine: 5.7L Alpha 1
    Gallery Images: 6

Send Z 202:
    a Private Message

^ precisely the reason I leave my safety chain on until the boat is in the water...

Bunks are good if you have a decent grade of launch ramp. From what I understand many of our friends "across the pond" don't have access to these, and have to launch from shallow beaches, in which case a roller trailer would probably be preferable.

My Shabah is using what the hybrids are saving!