Want to get rid of the ads? Become a member by registering today.
The Mariah Owners Club

Forum Left Top

Welcome to the The Mariah Owners Club.

Smart Tabs

Original Mariah Talk

Old 08-29-2018, 07:08 PM   #311

Itwrx is currently offline
My Year: 1994
My Model: Barchetta 182
My Engine: 4.3 v6 Alpha 1 Gen II
Gallery Images: 0

Send Itwrx:
a Private Message

Default Re: Smart Tabs

So smart tabs vs whale tail (planing fin on out drive). I have a 1994 182 with a 4.3 V6. I’m at 6,500 feet and it planes is seconds with the fin. The biggest issue I have is my trim is extremely sensitive. Probably du to the fin. I start in the lowest setting and can only trim the drive up very little before porpoising. The other issue is with such a small boat depending on how it’s loaded and who’s in it in the lean one side or the other. Do the smart tabs correct this or you have to have individually trim tabs to correct any type of listing. I guess what is the benefits to smart tabs versus the whale tail. And even nothing at all ?
  • Old 08-29-2018, 08:34 PM   #312

GaryDoug is currently offline
    My Year: 1999
    My Model: Z202
    My Engine: 5.7L Bravo III
    Gallery Images: 5

Send GaryDoug:
    a Private Message

Smart Tabs are very limited in function. They only adjust in pairs for raising or lowering the bow. Once set, there is no changing them without access to the transom. So, no they will not adjust for lean. They should give you some relief with the trim issue though, if you remove the whale tail. Your outdrive is not designed for that anyway and you risk breaking the anti-vent plates on the drive. To adjust for lean and on-the-go trim, you would have to install full trim tabs, either electric or hydraulic.
    I started with the Smart Tabs installed just to correct the idle speed steering wander. Later I upgraded them using a conversion kit to convert to full control with auto-parking. I was able to keep the Smart Tab stainless steel planes but they required some modifications.
    -- I like to make my stuff last a while --
    Old 08-29-2018, 09:20 PM   #313

mikeyt is currently offline
    Find me on the Map
    My Year: 1996
    My Model: Shabah 180
    My Engine: 4.3
    Gallery Images: 14

Send mikeyt:
    a Private Message

I'll go one step further than Gary.... No one in their right minds would intentionally install a dammed whale-tail on the outdrive of their Mariah. As Gary noted, any impact will cause a fracture of the cavitation plates and probably significant damage to the outdrive... and ... they are dammed ugly.

I have seen the standard Smart tabs used to adjust somewhat for lean (set one in a lower position than the other) but that's not really what they were designed for. The best way is to simply redistribute weight in your boat to offset the lean.
    Old 08-29-2018, 10:46 PM   #314

GaryDoug is currently offline
    My Year: 1999
    My Model: Z202
    My Engine: 5.7L Bravo III
    Gallery Images: 5

Send GaryDoug:
    a Private Message

This is what can happen: https://forums.iboats.com/forum/engi...ole-lower-unit
    mikeyt likes this.
    -- I like to make my stuff last a while --
    Old 08-30-2018, 03:10 AM   #315

Send Itwrx:
    a Private Message

Quote:
    Originally Posted by GaryDoug View Post
    Ok off with the whale tail. What do I do to properly fill the holes? Can I run it with the holes?
    Old 08-30-2018, 07:10 AM   #316

pole trick is currently offline
    My Model: 180 Shabah
    My Engine: 4.3 Merc

Send pole trick:
    a Private Message

Performance wise they no problem if holes left in. If the looks of holes bother you epoxy them closed and paint it. I put set of smart tabs sx on my 180. They completely changed and improved the boat as advertised!..got over 80 hours on boat this year with them..I run 3rd hole..and 20 pitch merc alum 4 blade at 900 feet in wi. At your higher altitude you probably can't pull that much pitch.
    Old 08-30-2018, 02:42 PM   #317

Send Itwrx:
    a Private Message

Quote:
    Originally Posted by pole trick View Post
    Performance wise they no problem if holes left in. If the looks of holes bother you epoxy them closed and paint it. I put set of smart tabs sx on my 180. They completely changed and improved the boat as advertised!..got over 80 hours on boat this year with them..I run 3rd hole..and 20 pitch merc alum 4 blade at 900 feet in wi. At your higher altitude you probably can't pull that much pitch.
    Yeah I think that’s too much for me. I’m running a 17 SS 3 blade and a 18 4 blade aluminum. The 17 SS if a great tubing / towing prop but I have to watch the RPMs. It will over rev at full throttle. The 18 seems just about perfect. What pound smart tabs did you end up with? 60lb?

Last edited by Itwrx; 09-01-2018 at 06:51 PM.
    Old 08-30-2018, 06:52 PM   #318

Scottie1961 is currently offline
    My Year: 1995
    My Model: Z202 Shabah
    My Engine: 5.7L Alpha One

Send Scottie1961:
    a Private Message

Quote:
    Originally Posted by pole trick View Post
    pole trick is right, the holes won't matter but for some of us that get a little anal about holes that shouldn't be there an easy fix with JB Weld can give you peace of mind. I file out the holes with a round file and then tape electrical tape under the hole. Mix up some JB Weld and fill the holes and dab them for a while to work out the air bubbles. Once dry just sand the top down smooth and shoot with some self etching primer and then black acrylic paint. I've done this twice to my current boat. Once to fill the holes of the terrible whale tail I took off and then once from a prop strike on a rock that chipped the cav plate. Good luck!
    Old 09-02-2018, 05:17 PM   #319

Send Itwrx:
    a Private Message

NIGHT AND DAY DIFFERENCE!!!!!
    Holy cow! Words simply can’t describe the difference removing the “whale tale” did to my boat. Took it out yesterday for the first time with out it and it rides so smooth. It used to be so bumpy. No amount of trimming could satisfy the boat. I was either nose down (doing my best not to upset the wife with a bumpy ride) or porpoising like crazy over every wave. Not to mention how heave the steering used to be. I’m finally able to run the boat in the trim zone on the garage. We were literally flying across the top of the water in big chop and it was smooth as silk. No tail on chop and it was as smooth as tail on glass. Even in glass the boat always had trim issues. The only thing I have to solve is planning out. With the tail I could plan out with in 30feet of a dead stop. Stay on plane going 10mph. Now it’s nose in the air for about 60feet then she pops up. So smart tabs will be next. Unfortunately since our boating season is just about over they will wait till spring. It’s manageable but I definitely miss how well it planned out. However the ride and steering it is absolutely amazing now ! So glad I took it off.

Last edited by Itwrx; 09-02-2018 at 06:40 PM.
    Old 09-03-2018, 12:17 PM   #320

pole trick is currently offline
    My Model: 180 Shabah
    My Engine: 4.3 Merc

Send pole trick:
    a Private Message

Quote:
    Originally Posted by Itwrx View Post
    Yeah I think that’s too much for me. I’m running a 17 SS 3 blade and a 18 4 blade aluminum. The 17 SS if a great tubing / towing prop but I have to watch the RPMs. It will over rev at full throttle. The 18 seems just about perfect. What pound smart tabs did you end up with? 60lb?

I have the 60lbs ones..shop around for them. I got mine last summer for around 125.00 with free shipping from somewhere.