Want to get rid of the ads? Become a member by registering today.
The Mariah Owners Club

Forum Left Top

Welcome to the The Mariah Owners Club.

Smart Tabs

Original Mariah Talk

Old 05-25-2011, 02:23 AM   #151

Steve91T is currently offline
My Year: 1995
My Model: Z202
My Engine: 5.7 Alpha 1
Gallery Images: 0

Send Steve91T:
a Private Message

Default Re: Smart Tabs

Got them installed! Much easier than I thought. I must have spent 30 minutes making sure everything was perfect to drill that first hole, then once I got over that, the rest of the instal went very fast.

I can't wait to get it out on the water!

• Old 05-25-2011, 02:55 AM   #152

Dredd is currently offline
    Find me on the Map
    My Year: 1993
    My Model: MX-19 - Sold
    My Engine: 4.3

Send Dredd:
    a Private Message

Looks good. Nice work. I think most of us can probably empathize with the whole drilling part.
    Old 05-27-2011, 12:28 PM   #153

Send Steve91T:
    a Private Message

Wow, what a difference! I took it out yesterday for about 30 minutes by myself to test them out. I couldn't believe how it quickly it jumped on plane! Virtually no bow rise. I could see over the bow at all times. I had the 80# actuators on the 3rd position, which were too stiff. I couldn't get the bow out of the water. So, next was the fun part. I jumped into the water, and had to adjust the tabs totally blind. The water was murky, I couldn't see a thing. I can't believe that I didn't drop anything.

Anyway, I adjusted them to the 1st hold, least resistance. They seem perfect now. It used to be that, once on plane, I would just barely raise the drive and the bow would start bouncing. Now I can trim way up. The bow bouncing is gone, I can now stay on plane down to 15 MPH, zero wander at no wake zones, and I have more use of the trim.

The only thing is top speed is more or less unchanged. Maybe slightly reduced. My wife and myself were able to hit 52-53 and with 4 people, 49 MPH, per GPS. Just by myself with the tabs, I hit 51 MPH.

The instructions say I should see a 2-3 MPH increase in top speed.

The other thing I need to mess with is trimming to much. If I am cruising along at say, 40, and I trim until the prop slips, then back it down to a "sweet" spot, it almost feels like I'm loosing steering. Like the drive is too far out of the water. If I trim down a little more, I get all my steering back.

Maybe the 80 lb actuators are too strong? I'll give them a call this morning and see what they say.

Anyway, I love them. A lot of products have claims that are far from true. These honestly do exactly what they say. It's a whole different boat now.

Steve
    Old 05-28-2011, 12:07 PM   #154

Paul F is currently offline
    Find me on the Map
    Gallery Images: 4

Send Paul F:
    a Private Message

We told ya!!!

That's a pretty snug installation with those trailer bunks!
    Old 05-28-2011, 12:30 PM   #155

Send Steve91T:
    a Private Message

It is, and I was worried about it, but it works! The guide on the trailer keeps the tabs away from the bunks.
    Old 05-28-2011, 02:28 PM   #156

mikeyt is currently offline
    Find me on the Map
    My Year: 1996
    My Model: Shabah 180
    My Engine: 4.3
    Gallery Images: 14

Send mikeyt:
    a Private Message

Congrats! The 60's probably wont be strong enough for your 202. My install didn't show a speed increase either ( i actually may have dropped 1-2mph) but i installed them for the other benefits which far outweigh the speed issue.
    Old 03-11-2012, 02:20 PM   #157

00 diablo 00 is currently offline
    Find me on the Map
    My Year: 2001
    My Model: diablo180
    My Engine: mercruiser 135 hp

Send 00 diablo 00:
    a Private Message

I know it has been 4 or 5 years since you were talking about this, but I just bought a 2001 diablo and what I am experiencing is trying to trim the boat up at high speed to reach my top speed and the boat starts to porpous. I have been recommended to try the smart tabs, but I was hoping to hear from someone first hand if it helps. your thoughts would be appreciated.

Thanks,
    Jeff B.
    Old 03-11-2012, 02:27 PM   #158

Find me on the Map

Send 00 diablo 00:
    a Private Message

Quote:
    Originally Posted by Steve91T View Post
    Wow, what a difference! I took it out yesterday for about 30 minutes by myself to test them out. I couldn't believe how it quickly it jumped on plane! Virtually no bow rise. I could see over the bow at all times. I had the 80# actuators on the 3rd position, which were too stiff. I couldn't get the bow out of the water. So, next was the fun part. I jumped into the water, and had to adjust the tabs totally blind. The water was murky, I couldn't see a thing. I can't believe that I didn't drop anything.

Anyway, I adjusted them to the 1st hold, least resistance. They seem perfect now. It used to be that, once on plane, I would just barely raise the drive and the bow would start bouncing. Now I can trim way up. The bow bouncing is gone, I can now stay on plane down to 15 MPH, zero wander at no wake zones, and I have more use of the trim.

The only thing is top speed is more or less unchanged. Maybe slightly reduced. My wife and myself were able to hit 52-53 and with 4 people, 49 MPH, per GPS. Just by myself with the tabs, I hit 51 MPH.

The instructions say I should see a 2-3 MPH increase in top speed.

The other thing I need to mess with is trimming to much. If I am cruising along at say, 40, and I trim until the prop slips, then back it down to a "sweet" spot, it almost feels like I'm loosing steering. Like the drive is too far out of the water. If I trim down a little more, I get all my steering back.

Maybe the 80 lb actuators are too strong? I'll give them a call this morning and see what they say.

Anyway, I love them. A lot of products have claims that are far from true. These honestly do exactly what they say. It's a whole different boat now.

Steve
    Hey Steve,
    Which smart tabs did you buy. I bought a 2001 diablo 180 and I am experiencing the bow jumping when I try to raise the trim at high speeds. It sounds like these completly fixed your problem. Let me know your thoughts.

Thanks,
    Jeff
    Old 03-11-2012, 02:48 PM   #159

nglauer is currently offline
    Find me on the Map
    My Model: 180 Diablo
    My Engine: 3.0L Alpha one

Send nglauer:
    a Private Message

I have a 2001 Diablo 180 with the 3.0L. Buy the smart tab sx's you won't regret it. They changed the whole characteristics of my boat. No left to right swerving when cruising through no wake zones, no fighting for plane, or making passengers move around. I also noticed better acceleration, and my boat stays on plane at lower speeds, much lower. I was also able to go back to my 14x19 vs my 14x17. I had went with the 17 to help get out of the hole, no need for it now unless tubing or skiing. I also saved gas....I don't know the exact numbers... but I know we were able to almost squeeze an extra day out of the tank.

Sorry if anything sounds like giberish. I'm trying to post from my android phone.

Good luck,
    Nick
    Old 03-11-2012, 02:59 PM   #160

Find me on the Map

Send 00 diablo 00:
    a Private Message

Quote:
    Originally Posted by nglauer View Post
    I have a 2001 Diablo 180 with the 3.0L. Buy the smart tab sx's you won't regret it. They changed the whole characteristics of my boat. No left to right swerving when cruising through no wake zones, no fighting for plane, or making passengers move around. I also noticed better acceleration, and my boat stays on plane at lower speeds, much lower. I was also able to go back to my 14x19 vs my 14x17. I had went with the 17 to help get out of the hole, no need for it now unless tubing or skiing. I also saved gas....I don't know the exact numbers... but I know we were able to almost squeeze an extra day out of the tank.

Sorry if anything sounds like giberish. I'm trying to post from my android phone.

Good luck,
    Nick
    Thanks Nick, That was really helpfull. I have to look at my specs, because I don't remember. Is the 3.0L the 4 cylinder with 135 hp. I know my boat is a 4 cylinder with 135 hp. Also is smart tab the brand name? If not, what brand name are youres? Sorry for all of the questions, just trying to make sure I get the right thing.