Want to get rid of the ads? Become a member by registering today.
The Mariah Owners Club

Forum Left Top

Welcome to the The Mariah Owners Club.

Hatch lift

Original Mariah Talk

Old 08-15-2019, 12:30 AM   #1

Nitsuj is currently offline
My Year: 1996
My Model: Z255 Shabah
My Engine: 7.4 L Bravo III
Gallery Images: 0

Send Nitsuj:
a Private Message

Default Hatch lift

I just bought a really clean, low hours, 2 owner 96 Z255 Shabah. Previous owner unplugged and removed the actuators for the power hatch lift to gain a little storage room. That hatch is pretty heavy and I’d rather have the electric lift over the storage. So I reinstalled and plugged in the actuators. They’re not working. I’m no stranger to chasing electric gremlins, and I’m happy to do it if needed, but before I go bonkers with the multimeter, I figured I’d run it by you guys. Should the hatch lift just work? It’s not like one of those deals where it only works if your sitting in the drivers seat and the anchor light is on, is it? I don’t want to start chasing wires only to find out it’s only supposed to work with the engine running or something. Is there a fuse for it somewhere the previous owner may have removed? I found the breakers, but none are labeled hatch, and none are tripped. Any ideas?
  • Old 08-16-2019, 02:45 PM   #2

mwright1988 is currently offline
    My Year: 1995
    My Model: Z202 Shabah
    My Engine: 5.0LX Alpha One
    Gallery Images: 5

Send mwright1988:
    a Private Message

Default Re: Hatch lift

When I bought my 1995 Shabah Z202 this summer the previous owner had also disconnected both actuators. When I hooked mine back up only one was functioning. What worked for me was to pull them out, add some grease through the zerks located near the base of each actuator, and hook them up to a battery. This was able to un seize the one that wasn’t working. I ran into another issue after they were reconnected to the hatch however. They both worked (slowly) for a bit then ended up blowing a fuse. For your reference there is most likely a fuse panel located underneath the dash below the steering column. Mine has one 15 amp fuse that has blown. Not sure if that is the correct size fuse or one the previous owner installed. Either way it couldn’t handle the load and blew. I have not attempted to use a larger fuse yet so once again they are disconnected, but hopefully this little bit of info will be helpful to you.

Good luck!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Old 08-16-2019, 04:55 PM   #3

Nitsuj is currently offline
    My Year: 1996
    My Model: Z255 Shabah
    My Engine: 7.4 L Bravo III
    Gallery Images: 0

Send Nitsuj:
    a Private Message

Default Re: Hatch lift

Thanks for the input! I’ve done some more checking. I don’t have power at the switch, so my guess is, I have a broke wire or bad connection somewhere. I did find a fuse panel, way up under the dash. Most ridiculous thing I’ve ever seen. You can see the bottom of the fuses, but you can’t see the glass tubes to see if any are blown. Unless you have a flashlight an a mirror. Someone might have added it, I find it hard to believe the manufacturer put it in such a dumb location. At any rate, none of the fuses are blown. And the multimeter confirms the switch functions correctly. But the terminal that should be hot only has 4v going to it. This leads me to suspect a corroded or broken wire or splice. Despite the boat being in great condition and seemingly well cared for, someone’s been in there messing with the wiring. I’m seeing a lot of non-stock connections.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk