Want to get rid of the ads? Become a member by registering today.
The Mariah Owners Club

Forum Left Top

Welcome to the The Mariah Owners Club.

New Member - 97 Shabah 198 SE

Introductions

Old 02-12-2008, 03:43 PM   #1

VernB63 is currently offline
Find me on the Map
My Model: 1997 Shabah 198 SE
Gallery Images: 7

Send VernB63:
a Private Message

Default New Member - 97 Shabah 198 SE

Hello fellow Mariah owners. Glad to have stumbled upon your club. I bought my Mariah on August 15 2006. I'm the third owner and love the boat. I've been scanning the web for any information about Mariah or my model. Still new to boating so any tips or suggestions are welcome.

In particular, I've got three things in mind for the spring when the boat comes out from its long winters nap, (It's -21C here today).

1. I'm looking to fix the stereo buzz that I'm getting when on the water... I think its a grounding issue, but not sure how to fix it.

2. As well, I don't know when the last tuneup was done on the 4.3 Merc, especially the carb... any ideas or insights into what should be done.

3. I've just purchased an hour meter for the engine to accurately track maintenance work. Suggestions on where to install?

I'm handy, but not yet experienced with this stuff.

Thanks. Looking forward to the clubs insights.

Best Regards,
  • Old 02-12-2008, 04:48 PM   #2

ShabahZ280 is currently offline
    Find me on the Map
    My Year: 1999
    My Model: Z280 MCC
    My Engine: 7.4L MPI Bravo III
    Gallery Images: 1564

Send ShabahZ280:
    a Private Message

Welcome to the board Vern! You'll find just about everything you need to know here. And if you've got questions, go ahead and ask! We'll all help you out.

1. What you need for the stereo is an Automotive Electrical Noise Filter. It wires in with your power supply for the radio and cuts back the interference between the stereo and other electric components. Basically a 12v Ground Loop Isolator. You can find them on ebay cheap, or through Radio Shack and even Wal-Mart. Of course, I'm not sure where you can get them in Canada, but we have many members from up north who can help you there.

2. I would have a reputable Mercruiser service facility do your first tune up, as they're trained in fixing things like carbs. It's very easy to tweak something out of normal specs and have a hard time getting the engine running properly again. At least you'll know it'll be done right the first time. Plus if you're not experienced with working on a marine engine, it'll be a true pain, trust me. Things are packed in there so tight and access is very very limited. Mercruiser service places have the special tools needed to perform these tasks. It might be a bit more expensive to have them do it, but until you feel confident enough to tackle the job yourself, leave it to the pros.

3. If you take in the boat for service, maybe you could have them install the hour meter while they're in there. I'm not sure exactly on how they wire into the system.

Good luck, and keep us posted!
    -Formerly known as ShabahZ250
    -USCG Licensed 50 Ton Near Coastal Master Captain with Towing Certification
    Old 02-12-2008, 04:51 PM   #3

indykoch is currently offline
    Find me on the Map
    My Model: Z212 Shabah
    My Engine: 350 Magnum Alpha One
    Gallery Images: 18

Send indykoch:
    a Private Message

Welcome to the club Vern!!!

I'll try helping on a couple items, but there's a wealth of knowledge from many on this board so I'm sure you'll find what you need.

1) A buzzing or whine through the speakers usually is a grounding issue. It's much more apparent on stereos with separate amps, but this should be an easy fix. Follow the ground wire and try cleaning the contacts at each splice.
    2) I stay far away from "tuning" carbs. I learned with my remote controlled car and boat, and weed eater, that I have absolutely no business touching them.
    3) I think it's great to have the hour meter on the dash, but the wiring and install may not be much fun. If you don't want that hassle, I've seen them located in many places throughout the engine compartment. Maybe you have an open area of fiberglass that would look "factory" installed?

Keep us updated on these to help others out in case they experience the same!!

I just came back to snow and ice after vacationing in Cancun... this weather sucks!!
    Currently - '07 Ebbtide 2600 CBR
    Old 02-12-2008, 04:53 PM   #4

Z 202 is currently offline
    Find me on the Map
    My Year: 1995
    My Model: Mariah Shabah 202
    My Engine: 5.7L Alpha 1
    Gallery Images: 6

Send Z 202:
    a Private Message

Hey Vern. Welcome. The Mariah owners in southern Ontario continue to be well represented on this forum. I see from your post in the members map thread that you are from Wiarton. I have a cottage in Lions Head, and that's usually were I boat.

1. Could be a grounding issue, or the connection to your antenna. What kind of antenna is wired to the radio?

2. There shouldn't be too much to do with the carb if things are running OK. Your igntion system (cap rotor wires etc.) might need a good look over if they are all original, but that also depends on the amount of use the boat has seen.

3. My hour meter is mounted directly between the Tach and the Speedo. However, I think the layout of the gauges changed (97 vs 95) so alternatively you might want need to put it elsewhere on the main dash or down in the panel where the radio is, assuming you have the space. The latter would be a bit easier, since you can simply take that whole panel out with just a couple of screws.

My Shabah is using what the hybrids are saving!
    Old 02-12-2008, 08:31 PM   #5

180diablo is currently offline
    Find me on the Map
    My Year: 1993
    My Model: 1993 Diablo 180
    My Engine: 3.0L Mercruiser AlphaI
    Gallery Images: 30

Send 180diablo:
    a Private Message

You have enough replies and suggestions, so I will just say...

Welcome to the forums Vern! Another canuck boater !

When my boat goes back into the water this year, I will be getting the mechanic to pop an hour meter into the engine compartment somewhere. He had asked me if I wanted one for last season, but I declined.

He said he just wires it in, then tucks it away out of sight in the engine bay and it just ticks away. I dont have the room on the dash for an hour meter anyways. Where my old compass used to be mounted I will be mounting a depth sounder unit.

btw - love the avatar pic !
    Old 02-13-2008, 01:07 AM   #6

mikeyt is currently offline
    Find me on the Map
    My Year: 1996
    My Model: Shabah 180
    My Engine: 4.3
    Gallery Images: 14

Send mikeyt:
    a Private Message

Hey Vern. Welcome aboard to another southern Ontario boater!

I would agree with most of the comments made on your questions so far. The noise filter for the stereo is an easy install & they can be bought at any stereo shop, Radio Shack etc. I would also check the antenna connection at the rear of the unit and any other wiring connections for corrosion. Corrosions a common problem with boat wiring due to the moisture & environment. If you have some money to spare i got rid of the cheap di-pole antenna that is usually installed and bought a nice Shakespeare antenna that sticks to the side window for just under $50. It made a huge difference in reception & doesn't look like an antenna so doesnt attract the stereo thieves.
    If you are looking to do a full tune-up (as in more than just plugs / oil etc) then i agree it's worth taking it to the boat mechanic for the job. Once the carbs etc are set then its usually a simple matter of changing plugs / oil each once per year as they dont go out of tune very often. I use some carb cleaner from C-Tire in mine a couple of times during the season to help out in that regard.
    My hour meter is mounted back beside the engine out of sight but in plain view once the engine cover is opened.

Just out of curiosity.........do you have any relatives living in the Brantford area?
    Old 02-13-2008, 01:37 PM   #7

Find me on the Map

Send VernB63:
    a Private Message

Thanks for the warm welcome and the early help on my to-do list. I will take the boat to a mechanic for the tune-up and have them install the hour meter near the engine, that make sense to me. But the stereo is still a concern... I have placed several of the insulators inline with no success. The sound volume drops significantly, to the point of being no value. This problem has the audio guy scratching his head as well. I will try cleaning the grounds and hope that works. I heard that you can put a special type of spark plug the helps with this, but??? Need tunes on the water!

It's great to hear from everyone. Thanks for all the helpful tips, now I need the weather to warm up. I'll turn up the Jimmy Buffett and think of the islands for now.

Vern.
    Old 02-13-2008, 02:29 PM   #8

ShabahZ280 is currently offline
    Find me on the Map
    My Model: Z280 MCC
    My Engine: 7.4L MPI Bravo III
    Gallery Images: 1564

Send ShabahZ280:
    a Private Message

Hmm, maybe it's time to replace the radio then? Before boating season, when the tunes are essential!

I'd suggest something with an Aux-In for hooking up an iPod or Satellite Radio-which I might recommend Sirius for Radio Margaritaville! During the summer, they broadcast his concerts live. We tied up behind the venue for his show in Cincinnati, tuned in and had a front row seat for the whole show, even on the ride back to the marina!
    -Formerly known as ShabahZ250
    -USCG Licensed 50 Ton Near Coastal Master Captain with Towing Certification
    Old 02-13-2008, 02:38 PM   #9

Find me on the Map

Send VernB63:
    a Private Message

Hi Chris, I'm a parrot head from way back... 'Come Monday' ... been to his Toronto shows, and Sirrus Margarittaville is locked in first position in the Jeep and at the dock. The stereo is a Jensen with a large amp, driving 4 6x9's and a sub. It rocks Jimmy at the dock, but whines when the motor revs up on the lake. I will discuss with mechanic at tune-up time, and have the ground wires checked.

Thanks again, ps have you heard the new Buffett live album from Nov.07? Great new versions of the old std's.
    Old 02-13-2008, 04:10 PM   #10

mikeyt is currently offline
    Find me on the Map
    My Year: 1996
    My Model: Shabah 180
    My Engine: 4.3
    Gallery Images: 14

Send mikeyt:
    a Private Message

hi Vern

There are 'resistor' spark plugs (Champion makes them) on the market but if you have already installed a capacitor to try & eliminate the whine noise then they wont be of much help. It might be worth while replacing / ugrading your spark plug wires though when you get around to the tune up.

It may be time to dump the Jensen though & upgrade to a new deck or if you have another deck lying around (or have access to one) swap them & see if the problem goes away. A poor antenna can cause the noise also as well as poor wiring connections.

I never saw a need to have the hour meter mounted on my dash since it doesnt provide any 'vital' information and space there is somewhat limited.