Want to get rid of the ads? Become a member by registering today.
The Mariah Owners Club

Forum Left Top

Welcome to the The Mariah Owners Club.

HELLO! TLC for 2001 Mariah

Introductions

Old 02-06-2008, 03:39 PM   #1

fergies7 is currently offline
Find me on the Map
Gallery Images: 0

Send fergies7:
a Private Message

Default HELLO! TLC for 2001 Mariah

I want to start off by saying a great big thanks and my hat is off to the guys that took the initiative and did the hard work to get this site going!! I have been searching for information on Mariahs since I bought mine with 19 hours on it in 2003. I can't tell you how excited I was to find out about this as I was reading posts from another forum.

I have a 21 foot Mariah with a 305. I Love It! We lived on the lake from 2001-06 and my three youngest kids all had there first ride on it when they were less than a month old. I have five children and we love to ski, tube and just cruise all aroung the beautiful Table Rock Lake in Missouri. Our home is located in Eagle Rock, MO, about 45 minutes from Branson, and only 7 minutes from the famous Roaring River State Park. It offers beautiful scenery and the best trout fishing around.

In 2006 we moved to Carthage, MO, but kept our house at the lake and turned it in to a vacation rental.(You can find it on www.vrbo.com - - property # 125508) With much hesitation and a lot of thinking we decided to offer out beautiful 2001 Mariah for rent as well, only to guests staying in our home. So far everything has gone really well, and only minor things need to be fixed.

1) I could use some advice on what is the best product to use for bringing the boat back to it's original shine and luster.

2) What is the best product for keeping the interior soft and pliable as well as mold resistant.

3) The key was broke off in the ignition. (Thanks to my two year old) Where can I get a Mariah key that will look like my original? I had to put a new ignition in it and I'm using the plain, ugly key that came with it.

4) Has anyone found a high quality interior repair product. When my two year old was watching her older siblings tube and ski, without our knowledge she was biting little holes in the top of the head rests on the engine cover.

5) I have also lost the plastic Mariah emblem that is located on the center of the steering wheel. I would love to find a replacement.

Thanks to all who help me out on these issues. I want to keep my Mariah beautiful and top quality just like it was meant to be. "A boat made like no other"

I'll try to post pictures when I can.
  • Old 02-06-2008, 06:20 PM   #2

ShabahZ280 is currently offline
    Find me on the Map
    My Year: 1999
    My Model: Z280 MCC
    My Engine: 7.4L MPI Bravo III
    Gallery Images: 1564

Send ShabahZ280:
    a Private Message

Well, that's exactly why we created this board, for people like you! Thanks for the compliments, and hopefully you'll find this site helpful.

Here's some answers for you!

1. I've used Meguiars Fiberglass Restoration Kit every year. It's a 3 step kit, Step 1 is a heavy duty oxidation remover, Step 2 is a polish, and Step 3 is a wax. I believe it's around $30 for all 3. I can get mirror-like shines out of it every time I use it. They also have spray-on cleaners, spray on wax and gloss preservers that are formulated to work specifically with this kit.

2. Interior wise, there's a few things you can do. I'd start with a vinyl shampoo, the interior of our Mariahs came with what's called PreFixx, basically a marine-style ScotchGuard. So most stains should remove easily. (More info in the brochures!) Then apply some conditioner or protectant. Don't use Armor-All, use a special Marine Grade Protectant. I use the Bass Pro Shop brand, because it's about $3 cheaper than the 3M stuff. I also use Bass Pro Mold & Mildew Protectant. Ask me sometime how I found out this stuff works wonders!!!

3. So far, we have been unable to locate an OEM style replacement key manufacturer. However we are a pretty dedicated bunch, and somebody will come up with something at some point!!

4. Believe it or not, I've actually used superglue for small repairs in the vinyl. I found that recommendation on another boating forum. So far it's held up for 2 years with no issues!

5. Finding replacement shields are becoming a challenge, as many have found out. Sea Fox Mariah sells the new shields, which are silver colored instead of the old gold style. Occasionally the old shields pop up on ebay, but usually fetch around $30+ each. I've never seen the small steering wheel ones on there though.

Good luck with all your projects, and be sure to keep us all updated!!!
    -Formerly known as ShabahZ250
    -USCG Licensed 50 Ton Near Coastal Master Captain with Towing Certification
    Old 02-06-2008, 09:29 PM   #3

WetWilly is currently offline
    Find me on the Map
    My Year: 1996
    My Model: Z240 Talari
    My Engine: 7.4L Bravo III
    Gallery Images: 25

Send WetWilly:
    a Private Message

Welcome aboard fergies7,

Great to add you to our family, we're just a boat load of helpful and friendly members with information to keep our Mariah's in top notch condition.

As for the Steering wheel shield, I ended up acquiring a new style shield (silver instead of gold) because I got tired of the empty spot, No one has noticed yet.

I was referred by SeaFox to Chatlee Boat & Marine out of Sanford, NC, ph: (919) 775-7259. The sales person's name was Jonathon Nowell. The small Shield was $12.95.

As for the vinyl, I like 303 Protectant, been using it on my car, bike, boat and everything vinyl and rubber for years, but I don't believe it prevents mold or mildew. Will definitely be looking into the Bass Pro Shop products Shabah Z250 recommended!

WetWilly
    Old 02-08-2008, 01:33 AM   #4

180diablo is currently offline
    Find me on the Map
    My Year: 1993
    My Model: 1993 Diablo 180
    My Engine: 3.0L Mercruiser AlphaI
    Gallery Images: 30

Send 180diablo:
    a Private Message

Welcome to the forums!

I'am with Wetwilly on using new style replacement emblems for a Mariah vs not having one.

When I bought my boat, both rear Mariah shield emblems were missing and I went to the "new" Mariah dealer close to my cottage and purchased some "new" style emblems to fit in place of the old ones. I was going to put them on last season, but driving it was better then trying to work on those. I hope to install them before the boat is in the water this season.

Oh one other product that was discussed on here that works wonders anywhere on the boat .... Mr Clean Magic Erasers! Below is the thread
    Magic Erasers
    (we still want royalties from sales of it)

From what I remember, this is what I have used:
    Slimy Grimy
    3M Heavy Fibreglass restorer
    Meguiars Flagship Wax
    Rain-X (yep it does work)
    ..forgot name... but blue Boat soap (sea sense?)
    Evercoat Gelcoat repair

I have 2 plain ugly keys that came with the boat, so I assume at some point my ignition cylinder was replaced. However, I did go to a local key shop to have the key duplicated and she gave me the key for free since she didnt think it would work. Worked like a charm... lol.