Want to get rid of the ads? Become a member by registering today.
The Mariah Owners Club

Forum Left Top

Welcome to the The Mariah Owners Club.

New Member - 97 Shabah 198 SE

Introductions

Old 02-13-2008, 04:51 PM   #11

VernB63 is currently offline
Find me on the Map
My Model: 1997 Shabah 198 SE
Gallery Images: 7

Send VernB63:
a Private Message

Hi Mike, the deck / speakers & amp were new last year. So I don't think it's that. At least I hope not $$$. Replacing the plug wires is a good idea. Anything else to consider replacing in the spring tune-up?

No family in Brantford, a cuz-in-law in Cambridge, but most are up on the Bruce Pennisula. Dad grew up south of Lions Head (Hope Ness - Greigs Caves & area) and myself in Wiarton. Nice area.
  • Old 02-13-2008, 05:45 PM   #12

indykoch is currently offline
    Find me on the Map
    My Year: 1999
    My Model: Z212 Shabah
    My Engine: 350 Magnum Alpha One
    Gallery Images: 18

Send indykoch:
    a Private Message

Hey Vern... now that I see you're using a separate amp (not the in-dash amp), I can almost assure you it's a grounding issue with the amp itself. Where do you have it grounded? If it's to the engine block, you could have a grounding loop as discussed earlier. Try using the negative terminal of the battery. Don't use a composite metal or alloy to ground - make sure it's highly conductive. I've also heard of using *SHIELDED* RCA cables to fix it. There's a chance it could still be the head unit ground, so check all of those connections as well. A marine environment is torture on low/standard grade wires, terminals, splices, etc.

Personally, I wouldn't mess with plugs or plug wires since they won't "fix" a bad ground. And a bad ground is probably the culprit. Good luck with it.
    Currently - '07 Ebbtide 2600 CBR
    Old 02-13-2008, 06:11 PM   #13

ShabahZ280 is currently offline
    Find me on the Map
    My Year: 1999
    My Model: Z280 MCC
    My Engine: 7.4L MPI Bravo III
    Gallery Images: 1564

Send ShabahZ280:
    a Private Message

I second the grounding to the battery terminal. It really is starting to sound more like a grounding problem than anything else, but your amp could be an issue too. Is there adequate ventilation around the amp to reduce the chance of overheating? Amps usually have a thermal protection circuit, maybe it's kicking on prematurely?

One of our resident stereo people is Doug (moondance100), he's got probably the most impressive setup on here, if I remember correctly, it's somewhere between 2000 and 4000 watts. I'll bet you he could help you figure out the problem. Drop him a Private Message and see!
    -Formerly known as ShabahZ250
    -USCG Licensed 50 Ton Near Coastal Master Captain with Towing Certification
    Old 02-13-2008, 06:35 PM   #14

mikeyt is currently offline
    Find me on the Map
    My Year: 1996
    My Model: Shabah 180
    My Engine: 4.3
    Gallery Images: 14

Send mikeyt:
    a Private Message

Quote:
    Originally Posted by indykoch View Post
    Hey Vern... now that I see you're using a separate amp (not the in-dash amp), I can almost assure you it's a grounding issue with the amp itself. Where do you have it grounded? If it's to the engine block, you could have a grounding loop as discussed earlier. Try using the negative terminal of the battery. Don't use a composite metal or alloy to ground - make sure it's highly conductive. I've also heard of using *SHIELDED* RCA cables to fix it. There's a chance it could still be the head unit ground, so check all of those connections as well. A marine environment is torture on low/standard grade wires, terminals, splices, etc.

Personally, I wouldn't mess with plugs or plug wires since they won't "fix" a bad ground. And a bad ground is probably the culprit. Good luck with it.
    The only reason i suggested the plugs/wires is because Vern indicated the motor was due for a tune-up anyway. Check with the marine mechanic but i think the 8mm silicone resistor wires are marine approved as are the Champion resistor plugs. I've used them on a 115hp Evinrude outboard in the past & got good performance.

I agree with the rest of you though...it does sound very much like a grounding issue with the radio and / or antenna and getting a proper ground in a boat can take a little extra work. I would still check the power source connections also to ensure they are clean and once sure of that you could use a little of that liquid electrical connection protector to seal out any moisture.
    Old 02-14-2008, 01:16 AM   #15

VernB63 is currently offline
    Find me on the Map
    My Model: 1997 Shabah 198 SE
    Gallery Images: 7

Send VernB63:
    a Private Message

Mike, Chris, Ryan ... thanks for all the input on how to fix the stereo.

The Jensen is driven by a 100 watt amp that is located on the outside of the protected walls beside the engine and is ground to the battery as suggested. FYI - I had a audio shop guy install all at their shop (unfortunate trailer mishap while I was there - clipped a car bumper - rookie mistake). Stereo sounded great, but not when I returned to the water and the engine was running. I will contact mondance 100 as suggested. Thanks.
    Old 02-14-2008, 02:22 AM   #16

Z 202 is currently offline
    Find me on the Map
    My Year: 1995
    My Model: Mariah Shabah 202
    My Engine: 5.7L Alpha 1
    Gallery Images: 6

Send Z 202:
    a Private Message

Quote:
    Originally Posted by VernB63 View Post
    Dad grew up south of Lions Head (Hope Ness - Greigs Caves & area) and myself in Wiarton. Nice area.
    We've had place in Lions Head for over 30 years. I know a bunch of the local folks, probably several that know your dad. The family cottage is at 26 William, just down from the Hospital. I've got a slip at the marina.

My Shabah is using what the hybrids are saving!