Want to get rid of the ads? Become a member by registering today.
The Mariah Owners Club

Forum Left Top

Welcome to the The Mariah Owners Club.

What to ask, 4.3l Penta

Volvo Penta

Old 06-12-2013, 04:16 AM   #1

gsaps is currently offline
Gallery Images: 0

Send gsaps:
a Private Message

Default What to ask, 4.3l Penta

Hello to all on the forum and thanks for any help.

I'm currently looking to get a 2000 Mariah with a 4.3l Volvo penta outdrive with about 400hours, the seller says it has a service history but knowing exactly nothing about boats (never mind engines), I'd appreciate some advice.

Aside from oil changes, what should have been changed in an engine of this age, I'd like to ask the questions but I'd like them to be good questions so would be very appreciative of any help.

Grant
  • Old 06-12-2013, 01:04 PM   #2

mikeyt is currently offline
    Find me on the Map
    My Year: 1996
    My Model: Shabah 180
    My Engine: 4.3
    Gallery Images: 14

Send mikeyt:
    a Private Message

Default Re: What to ask, 4.3l Penta

I'm not very familiar with Volvo Pentas but there are quite a few here who have them and swear by them....and sometimes at them. I'll give the standard response to anyone looking to buy a used boat. Knowledge is key to being happy with what you are buying so check the following:
    Get copies of (or at least look thru) the vendor's service records and ensure that it was properly winterized each fall. If you see a 'rebuilt block or 4.3 or whatever invoice dated in the spring, then it likely wasn't done or wasn't done right. If you are going to buy the boat, get copies of his service records.
    Pull the oil dipstick and see if the oil looks fresh. Check the level of the out-drive oil in the reservoir. If you dont know where it is, ask the vendor to show you.
    Have a look at the general cleanliness of the boat and the motor/bilge area. That will give you an idea if the owner had some 'pride of ownership' and kept her maintained.
    Take someone with you to view the boat who is knowledgeable (or at least pretends to be) about boats and get her on the water for a performance test. If your 'helpful' person is good, buy 'em lunch!
    Make sure all of the electrics (switches/lights/power trim & tilt) work.
    Make sure all of the interior trim pieces are present and/or in good condition. Sourcing trim pieces and particularly glass can be difficult.
    Make sure all of the canvas covers are included & in good condition. Replacing them can be pricey.
    Make sure the vendor can prove ownership of the boat. You dont wanna get stuck buying something that belongs to someone else....
    Best of luck and keep us posted on how you make out!
    Old 06-12-2013, 01:12 PM   #3

gsaps is currently offline
    Gallery Images: 0

Send gsaps:
    a Private Message

thanks Mikeyt, a lot to consider, i might resort to getting a shop to check it over, it's on sale by a private seller.
    I've often wondered about winterizing boats, I'm assuming this is necessary only ni certain climates, I'm in new south wales in oz, I'm assuming winterizing isn't as necessary
    Old 06-12-2013, 01:15 PM   #4

mikeyt is currently offline
    Find me on the Map
    My Year: 1996
    My Model: Shabah 180
    My Engine: 4.3
    Gallery Images: 14

Send mikeyt:
    a Private Message

Quote:
    Originally Posted by gsaps View Post
    thanks Mikeyt, a lot to consider, i might resort to getting a shop to check it over, it's on sale by a private seller.
    I've often wondered about winterizing boats, I'm assuming this is necessary only ni certain climates, I'm in new south wales in oz, I'm assuming winterizing isn't as necessary
    You are a 'ways off' aren't you? If there is any chance of freezing temps then winterizing is a necessity if you dont have a heated shop to store the boat in. We've got a few Aussies on board here. Check out our Member Map when you have a few minutes.