The Mariah Owners Club

The Mariah Owners Club (http://www.mariahownersclub.com/forum/)
-   Volvo Penta (http://www.mariahownersclub.com/forum/volvo-penta/)
-   -   Exhaust Flaps (http://www.mariahownersclub.com/forum/volvo-penta/7767-exhaust-flaps.html)

clberkley 02-04-2013 03:11 PM

Exhaust Flaps

Just purchased 1997 Mariah 18ft shabah. My first boat, this one is in excellant condition, however the engine was lookup due to water in cylinders. I rebuilt the engine and now find that the flapper valves have been removed from the y-pipes. I also purhased new exhaust manifolds for my V6 engine. ,while installing the engine, one battery was hooked up backwards, I have not started the engine yet I am trying to find a wiring diagram as it has an onboard battery charger and a master control battery switch which lets you select 1battery 2battery, or all batteries. Do I need the flapper valves? I believe the engine flooded due to the missing flappers.

ColoradoDiablo 02-04-2013 06:41 PM

Re: Exhaust Flaps

YES , do not put that boat in the water without the flappers installed! You'll be putting in another new motor faster than the power went out at the Superbowl.
They run about 100.00 for the pair on Ebay. Just make sure you get the "New" style ones.

Andy b 02-04-2013 07:00 PM

Also, as it's your first boat. don't rev the engine before you shut the engine down!
seen it happen sooo many times and all you do is suck water up the exhaust into the engine

John Rush 02-05-2013 12:18 AM

Exhaust Flaps

Do you mind explaining that more in depth regarding to the revving while in the water? Thank you

ColoradoDiablo 02-05-2013 12:34 AM

I think Andy was refering more to a sudden shutdown while running across the water. When your at speed and suddenly throttle down fast(as in throw it in nuetral from say cruising speed)the water will back flow up the exhaust.
The flaps help to reduce the chance of a hydro lock , but by no means are they a 100% cure.

John Rush 02-05-2013 05:20 AM

Exhaust Flaps

Note to self on that one!

Andy b 02-05-2013 12:26 PM

As Colorado Diablo said but also I’ve noticed a tendency with people new to boating to "blip" the throttle before turning the engine off. (As you might with a car or motorcycle)
But with a boat this can cause the engine to suck water back up the exhaust and into the engine! Not good...

clberkley 02-06-2013 10:41 AM

I want to thank everyone for their fast and efficient response to my post. Now on to finding the exhaust flaps, again any ideas would be greatly appreciated, by the way I teach automotive technology at a local secondary school here in Florida so I am versed in that field, it just that boats are going to be a new favorite hobby for my wife and I.:):)

ColoradoDiablo 02-06-2013 03:34 PM

Here is a place to start.

Water Shutter Exhaust Flapper 4 inch Y Pipe Mercruiser V6 V8 807166A1 | eBay

Just need to see if your pin holders are square or round. :)

Andy b 02-06-2013 04:08 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by clberkley (Post 41595)
it just that boats are going to be a new favorite hobby for my wife and I.:):)

have you told her that yet :rolling_laugh: