Want to get rid of the ads? Become a member by registering today.
The Mariah Owners Club

Forum Left Top

Welcome to the The Mariah Owners Club.

Ohio River Advice?? Cincy Area

Trips, Travels, and Meet Ups

Old 04-15-2008, 04:35 PM   #1

Z275 is currently offline
Find me on the Map
Gallery Images: 15

Send Z275:
a Private Message

Default Ohio River Advice?? Cincy Area

Since there are a few people in the Cincy area on here I was wondering if you could give me some advice. I've never boated on the river before but want to do so this season and had some questions:

1. What is the best place to launch your boat that has ample parking and is close to 71 on the East side?
2. What are some good places to stop along the river? (food/drinks/etc..)
3. I saw a map somewhere online that showed where all the no-wake areas were and I can't find it now. Anyone have this?

Ohh and how bad has the water been lately?
  • Old 04-15-2008, 07:21 PM   #2

ShabahZ280 is currently offline
    Find me on the Map
    My Year: 1999
    My Model: Z280 MCC
    My Engine: 7.4L MPI Bravo III
    Gallery Images: 1564

Send ShabahZ280:
    a Private Message

Jason, I'll answer all your questions!

1. There's a few different places to launch from, I'd recommend Schmidt Field on Riverside (Eastern) Avenue as the best one. Lots of parking, and a good size launch ramp. They just widened it last year too. There is however a $10 launch fee. It's about a 5 mile ride to downtown on the water, and it's pretty close to everything. The public landing downtown is another common launching area, it's free, but it's a single lane launch ramp surrounded by small concrete walls. If you're not familiar with the river current, this can be really tricky to maneuver and not damage your boat. There's usually a line of boats waiting to launch and retrieve, and for the most part, they're usually drunks with speedboats that don't have any patience.

2. Places to go. Well, here's a few I'll recommend, most all of them have live music, good food, and drinks. Riverside Bar & Grill is on the Kentucky side, just about 1.5NM up from Schmidt Field. It's a huge restaurant fuel dock and marina. They've got great burgers and great drink specials. It's one of my favorite places to hang on the water. Heading upriver, (east), on the Ohio side, there's the Rivertowne Bar & Grille and Pirates Cove at Four Seasons Marina. Never been to rivertowne's restaurant, although I harbored there for the last 4 yrs. Pirate's Cove is a cool place, but water parking is very limited, so get there as early as you can. Their prices are a little steep, but the environment and scenery are worth it. Very laid back Jimmy Buffett-ish type place. Downriver (west) heading towards downtown, on the Kentucky side, you'll find the Reef, located at Watertown Yacht Club. It's a good size restaurant, decent food and OK drink prices. There's a pool attached to the place, which can provide good scenery during the summer. And speaking of good scenery, downtown, there's a Hooters. The dock is the worst in town, basically bare metal with no cushioning. So be sure if you tie up there to throw out as many bumpers as you can. There's 3 restaurants & bars connected to the dock, so you can have your choice of Hooters, or two other places. Then quite a bit further down the way there's the Ludlow Bromley Yacht Club. This is the big speedboat hangout. It's about 5-8NM from downtown. If you need some guidance I can scan a couple charts for ya and point out the different places.

3. No wake areas are in between the I-471 bridge (commonly called "the big mac bridge" as it looks like a burger top, and is painted yellow) and the I71/I75 Brent Spence Bridge (the two level bridge). Basically the first and the last bridge around the city. No wake laws are only enforced from dusk till dawn. However most people idle through downtown just to be safe. Other no wake areas are within 300 ft of any water marina. Those are usually enforced by private owners, who have been known to use megaphones, pen& paper to write registration numbers down, and i've even one guy use a shotgun. So try not to buzz any harbors.

I harbor my boat off the Little Miami River, if you know when you're coming down, let me know and I'll give you my contact info just in case.

Water levels have been a little high recently due to all the rain, and the river's a little murkier than usual. Drift is up a bit, so just be careful at high speeds, and keep your eyes open. Avoid anything that looks bigger than a twig. And try and steer clear from barges, as they tend to throw up quite a bit of drift heading upriver. Hopefully the water levels will drop back down and the water will clear itself up. Last year the water was crystal clear, probably one of the best boating years I've ever had on the River.

Also, check out Riverbend's music schedule. There's always a crowd parked down behind there to check out the concerts, especially Jimmy Buffett, probably the second biggest boating day of the year. First being the WEBN fireworks over labor day.
    -Formerly known as ShabahZ250
    -USCG Licensed 50 Ton Near Coastal Master Captain with Towing Certification

Last edited by ShabahZ280; 04-15-2008 at 07:27 PM.
    Old 04-15-2008, 08:27 PM   #3

Z275 is currently offline
    Find me on the Map
    Gallery Images: 15

Send Z275:
    a Private Message

Great information!! Thanks a lot!