Want to get rid of the ads? Become a member by registering today.
The Mariah Owners Club

Forum Left Top

Welcome to the The Mariah Owners Club.

Trailering Tips

Trailering and Tow Vehicles

Old 10-12-2007, 09:19 PM   #1

MariahMan is currently offline
Find me on the Map
My Year: 2001
My Model: 252 Shabah
My Engine: Volvo Penta 5.7GXi, DP
Gallery Images: 211

Send MariahMan:
a Private Message

Default Trailering Tips

We all see it at the local launch ramp. There's always some guy that can't figure out how to back down the trailer and jack knifes it and his truck, the couple yelling, screaming, and barking orders at eachother, and of course the guy that forgot the drain plug frantically running to his truck and trailer.

To help make sure none of us become one of these people i thought it would be great to start a thread of tips for those of us who trailer our Mariahs, which i think is almost all of us.

I'll go first with some of mine. Please contribute anything you think will help out your fellow Mariah owner make it to and from the launch ramp quickly and safely!

ThunderShark Web Solutions
PM or email me if you need hosting or community support.

Last edited by MariahMan; 10-12-2007 at 09:30 PM.
  • Old 10-12-2007, 09:28 PM   #2

MariahMan is currently offline
    Find me on the Map
    My Year: 2001
    My Model: 252 Shabah
    My Engine: Volvo Penta 5.7GXi, DP
    Gallery Images: 211

Send MariahMan:
    a Private Message

• Have a plan in your head and make sure you share it with those helping you before you leave for the launch. This will give everyone a job, speed up the process, and avoid frantic yelling, screaming and barking orders. Nobody likes being yelled at and can put a damper on the day, trust me, i know this from my family's first season with our Mariah!
      • If the same people are with you each time you launch (kids, wife, brothers, sisters, etc.) give each person the same task every time. After a couple of launches, everyone will know what they need to do and will just do it. Before you know it you won't have to leave the driver's seat and the boat will be ready as you roll up to the front of the line.
    • When you go to backup your trailer, place your hands on the wheel at the 7 and 5 position. When you move you're hands to the left (wheel turns clockwise), the trailer will go left and when you move your hands right (wheel turns counter-clockwise), the trailer will go right. This helps making backing up more intuitive and avoid the "so i turn right to make the trailer go left..." thought process.
    • Install your bilge plug BEFORE you leave for the launch. This will prevent you from forgetting during the hustle of trying to get the boat in the water as fast as possible.
    flatwater likes this.

ThunderShark Web Solutions
    PM or email me if you need hosting or community support.

Last edited by MariahMan; 10-12-2007 at 09:43 PM.
    Old 10-13-2007, 06:27 AM   #3

dudders is currently offline
    Find me on the Map
    My Year: 2006
    My Model: SX18
    My Engine: V6 4.3L
    Gallery Images: 53

Send dudders:
    a Private Message

I had an "Old Salty Dog" friend of mine tell me when I first bought my boat.
    "If it dont go first go, Dont go".
    And never a truer word was spoken. I have seen a couple of times guys get their boat launched, then try to start it. And try and try and try.
    Finally getting it going only to break down just down the river a bit.

After doing all the wrong things last summer I now have a list of things to remember and take and do. I have lamenated a sheet of things to do.
    And believe me it has proved to be really valuable.
    We tick them off as they are done, and now "She who must be obeyed" will also do a walk around to check the obvious things are done.
    A manual bailer is real handy as is a couple of oars. I have mine stored all the time in the ski well, out of the way.
    The more experienced guys out there will no doubt add a more comprehensive list of things to do.
    BEFORE I leave home I check the all fluids, start the motor, check the connections and prop AND PUT THE BUNG IN. This was told to me by the guy who
    sold us our Mariah, I remembered the first 4 things............................................ .(what can I say, I'm old, and can only remember so many things at once now).
    All this only takes 5 - 10 minutes while "the Managing Director of Domestic Affairs" gets the food and drinks sorted and calls our friends to tell them where we are going and when we will be home.
    If she is giving a close girlfriend a "quick call" then I will have time to repaint the boat and change the motor out !!
    Jmkhiggs likes this.

Schizophrenia, together I can beat it.

Last edited by dudders; 10-13-2007 at 06:31 AM.
    Old 10-13-2007, 12:36 PM   #4

ShabahZ280 is currently offline
    Find me on the Map
    My Year: 1999
    My Model: Z280 MCC
    My Engine: 7.4L MPI Bravo III
    Gallery Images: 1564

Send ShabahZ280:
    a Private Message

Here's a couple tips I've learned both from my own experiences, and from helping others.

-Definitely prep your boat before you're ready to launch. Drain plug, straps, turn your battery on, get your blower going, keys in the ignition, ropes ready, and be ready. There's nothing like getting everyone else in line all pissed because you forgot to turn the battery on.

-Transom straps. Take them off first! I had a friend with a Baja ('nuff said), I helped him back the boat down into the water, and he had a heck of a time figuring out why his boat wouldn't move. He even tried to power through them with his big 502 and loud exhaust.

-Find the perfect approach & departure angle. If you have the means to, have someone else launch you, and watch the depth of the trailer. Make a mental note. My boat slides on and off like butter when the front axle's fenders are just about an inch underwater. At any other depth, it's not going to work. I had one of the guys at my marina help me figure it out early in the season.

-Get familiar with your trailer. If it's got surge brakes, be sure to read how to disable them before backing! I got a real kick out of this earlier this year when someone at my harbor didn't do it, and kept getting trying to power through it, with no luck. he kept getting out of his truck and couldn't figure out why their boat wouldn't back up! I finally went over and helped, and earned $5!

-School your helpers beforehand. Whether it be your significant other, family member, or whoever, take them out with the tow vehicle & boat beforehand to learn the basics of maneuverability. Find an open parking lot. Backing's the trick, so practice! I once watched a rather attractive 85lb woman maneuver a dodge cummins dually coupled to a 35ft trailer from the parking lot to the water, as straight as an arrow while her hubby loaded the boat... all my boating friends were cheering and screaming "would you marry me? mine could never do that!"

-Be willing to help others. If you see someone who obviously needs some help, please be a nice person and help. Remember, that could be you next time.
    flatwater and Jmkhiggs like this.
    -Formerly known as ShabahZ250
    -USCG Licensed 50 Ton Near Coastal Master Captain with Towing Certification
    Old 10-13-2007, 08:01 PM   #5

WetWilly is currently offline
    Find me on the Map
    My Year: 1996
    My Model: Z240 Talari
    My Engine: 7.4L Bravo III
    Gallery Images: 25

Send WetWilly:
    a Private Message

MariahMan, kudos for starting this excellent thread and to you, dudders and ShabahZ250 for starting the tips!

My tip: Trim your outdrive/ourboard to trailer mode before pulling the trailer out of the water (can't remember how many people I've seen reshape their skegs).

Dudders, would you mind if asked you for a copy on your “TTD” list? I still don't use one and I should... but hey, at least I'll never forget to cork the bung hole anymore!

MariahMan, ShabahZ250, would it be possible to put together a master Check List and have it as a sticky on this site?

PDF format would probably be best but is there anyone who could create and edit PDF files and if so, would they be willing to maintain the list as members contribute to it?

Just a though and again, good going guys,
    WetWilly
    Old 10-13-2007, 11:02 PM   #6

ShabahZ280 is currently offline
    Find me on the Map
    My Year: 1999
    My Model: Z280 MCC
    My Engine: 7.4L MPI Bravo III
    Gallery Images: 1564

Send ShabahZ280:
    a Private Message

Quote:
    Originally Posted by WetWilly View Post

MariahMan, ShabahZ250, would it be possible to put together a master Check List and have it as a sticky on this site?
    Sure! I'll compile it once we get some more entries and post it as a sticky! I've got a "trailer checklist" I print out before any trailering trips, of things to check and to carry in the truck just in case. I'll post it up here in a couple days.
    -Formerly known as ShabahZ250
    -USCG Licensed 50 Ton Near Coastal Master Captain with Towing Certification
    Old 10-14-2007, 07:16 AM   #7

dudders is currently offline
    Find me on the Map
    My Year: 2006
    My Model: SX18
    My Engine: V6 4.3L
    Gallery Images: 53

Send dudders:
    a Private Message

Hi WetWilly, I have attached the form my good wife and I use - I have revised it a little by taking our names out.
    It looks like a lot but in reality only takes about 15 minutes before we leave and a few minutes when we get to the loading dock both ways.
    There will be some things that others do that we dont, but so far we have found
    this form a useful tool as it has saved us a couple of times from embarrassing moments.
    Of course when I get home I am a lot more relaxed and just go about tidying up, flushing the motor, giving it a good squirt with water repellent stuff (like CRC, we call it INOX).
    I also always check the propellor for crap and nicks etc, plus the speedo sensor hole on the outdrive is not clogged with anything.
    I ALWAYS give the boat a bloody good wash as well, the water is just so damn salty in W.A. so the whole boat gets a good clean inside and out.
    I took the wife and kids to Thailand a couple of weeks ago for 12 days, and the water there is no where as salty as Australia. Lucky buggers.
    My kids think that I am pathetic with the cleanliness, which I am, but its also a good corrosion preventative measure.
    I hope this is helpful to someone. It sure takes a bit a pressure off me to try to remember EVERYTHING,
    cause sure as my a*&e points to the ground if things are forgotten or goes wrong its my fault.
    Attached Files
    File Type: pdf Things to do - revised.pdf (115.6 KB, 74 views)
    Jmkhiggs likes this.

Schizophrenia, together I can beat it.

Last edited by dudders; 10-14-2007 at 09:26 AM.
    Old 10-14-2007, 11:00 PM   #8

WetWilly is currently offline
    Find me on the Map
    My Year: 1996
    My Model: Z240 Talari
    My Engine: 7.4L Bravo III
    Gallery Images: 25

Send WetWilly:
    a Private Message

Hi ShabahZ250,

Thanks for setting up the “Checklist” sticky! I know this will save me time and money and possibly a lot of embarrassment in the future!

Gi’day dudders,

Thanks for the great list you have there! I really like “At The Boat Ramp’s” #2 & #8 , can’t be too careful about plugging the bung!

Oh the life of a U-Boat Commander….. Sir, I believe someone has left the screen door open on the Sub again!

He who knows how to wear out a bilge pump at the docks,
    WetWilly