The Mariah Owners Club

The Mariah Owners Club (http://www.mariahownersclub.com/forum/)
-   Sea Fox - Mariah Talk (http://www.mariahownersclub.com/forum/sea-fox-mariah-talk/)
-   -   Throttle/gear lever (http://www.mariahownersclub.com/forum/sea-fox-mariah-talk/8473-throttle-gear-lever.html)

Lucky14 07-13-2013 03:32 AM

Throttle/gear lever

I am the third owner of the boat, as the story goes the first owner liked the "pimp" position, so he took the gear and throttle lever off and reversed the cable so towards the bow is reverse and aft is forward. How hard is it to make it "right"?

Can I just pop the linkage off from behind the panel or do I have to remove the entire assemble off the side of the boat then swap them around? I don't like the idea of having something like ... It's an accident waiting to happen

ColoradoDiablo 07-13-2013 03:54 AM

Re: Throttle/gear lever

Sounds like more than likely they are reversed at the shift bracket on the motor.
Check there first. :)

Lucky14 07-13-2013 04:12 AM

That would be easier wouldn't it :p

Lucky14 07-17-2013 03:25 AM

Ok I popped the engine cover looks like the throttle and shift cables go to a bracket on the starboard side of the engine. I suppose all this goofball did was swap the cables from their original position. Therefore, all I would have to do is to remove the cables from the bracket and swap them back. Such as putting the top on the bottom and the bottom cable on the top to restore it to forward=forward and pulling back =reverse? No other adjustments to the drive unit?

ColoradoDiablo 07-17-2013 03:36 AM

If they did get switched , you need to follow the proper adjustment procedure.
Bravo Cable Peplace
Might be worth the money to take it to a Merc Shop to have it done professionally , if you are'nt up on it.
They can be a bugger , especially starting from scratch.

Lucky14 07-18-2013 01:49 AM

Mercruiser Alpha Shift cable adjustment - YouTube

I think truly what the guy has done- is he disconnected the reverse gear cable and put on the forward pivot.

Then took the forward linkage and put it on the reverse pivot. Reversing the cables would then actuate the push-pull action of the lever- therefore, reversing the drive engagement at the control handle.

Thoughts?

Lucky14 07-20-2013 01:49 AM

any thoughts?

ColoradoDiablo 07-20-2013 02:07 AM

That would be my first inclination. Try reversing them and see what happens.:wink_thumbup:

Lucky14 08-04-2013 01:53 AM

Finally got out to the boat and tinkered... The linkage at the starboard riser can't be reversed the drive and the control cables have different trunnions. One has a hole in it and is held I with a tit on the lever area. The output drive cable's trunnion is held by a pocket.

So the next thought is that the cable was reversed or located incorrectly at the control lever. So after breaking the "throttle only" button on the lever ( won't come out to remove the handle head and was brittle) it look like the throttle box had been out and apart before. It was tangled in the wiring harness and had shadow marks and scratches on the cover plate.

The question to save me a lot of time does anyone have a picture of which cable goes where? There are 2 cable attacment points on earth position. Gven the two positions that each cable and can be in an upper and a lower, than at each of those positions there is a near and far arm.

ColoradoDiablo 08-04-2013 02:38 AM

About the only thing I can suggest at this point is to get yourself the service manual for your particular engine/drive setup.
The manuals are available to contributing members here on the site.
You can read about the benefits here.
Otherwise maybe one of the SeaFox Mariah guys can take a few pics for you.
Sorry I can't help you out more lucky.:(