Want to get rid of the ads? Become a member by registering today.
The Mariah Owners Club

Forum Left Top

Welcome to the The Mariah Owners Club.

Stereo for my Jubilee

Projects

Old 09-21-2009, 12:31 PM   #1

dobich1 is currently offline
Find me on the Map
My Year: 2000
My Model: Jubilee 214
My Engine: 5.0L Alpha I
Gallery Images: 0

Send dobich1:
a Private Message

Default Stereo for my Jubilee

It appears that the Sony radio that was in my Jubilee is shot; I am looking for a new radio now. There are two original "openings"; one for the radio, the other for a "cassette storage thing". As I plan on getting a CD radio this time, the cassette storage thing won't be used. Any suggestions? The opening is smaller than a "DIN European" radio opening...I don't want to trash my Jubilee's nice look, and I don't think I will find another part to replace this part of the "dash"...also looking for suggestions on radios as well...I would like AM/FM/CD, but wouldn't mind having a weather band as well...and since I'm guessing water ruined the last one, should I be installing a cover mount??
  • Old 09-21-2009, 02:31 PM   #2

blockp is currently offline
    Find me on the Map
    My Model: 99 Jubilee 214
    Gallery Images: 8

Send blockp:
    a Private Message

Default Re: Stereo for my Jubilee

I'm not a huge audiophile of anything, but I went with a Boss marine radio like this one, and am quite happy with it.

It sounds good and the buttons on it are actually laid out in an intuitive manner. I mounted the remote on the underside of the lid for the rear anchor well. This way it doesn't ruin the nice lines of the transom and with the lid closed, it's out of the weather.

The previous owner mounted a ship to shore radio in the slot that used to be the cassette/cd holder. In the corner of this picture you can see the original Sony and the ship to shore mounted under it.
    Old 09-21-2009, 03:20 PM   #3

dobich1 is currently offline
    Find me on the Map
    My Year: 2000
    My Model: Jubilee 214
    My Engine: 5.0L Alpha I
    Gallery Images: 0

Send dobich1:
    a Private Message

Blockp:
    Thank you for the info; I guess there are a lot of choices as far as the radio, and the one you sent looks like a nice setup...not sure I really need a remote...one more thing for my kids to play with and annoy Dad! I do like the idea of a ship to shore radio in the cassette holder...what brand do you have? I wonder if it is close in dimensions to the cutout...I'm concerned over having to "disturb" that wood grain...don't want to crack it!
    Old 09-21-2009, 03:37 PM   #4

blockp is currently offline
    Find me on the Map
    My Model: 99 Jubilee 214
    Gallery Images: 8

Send blockp:
    a Private Message

If you like the radio and don't need the remote, I know that particular one sells with or without the remote.

I'll have to look at the brand and model of my sts radio. It fits pretty well on the top to bottom dimensions, and is about 1.5 inches narrower than the opening (left to right). Not an exact fit, but I like it mounted there better than some of the other locations I've seen people put them.

If you look closely at the picture I linked earlier, you can see the gap on the left side of the ship to shore. There is about the same size gap on the right side too. I would think that with a little shopping around, there's got to be a sts that would fit exactly into the opening.
    Old 09-22-2009, 05:36 AM   #5

WetWilly is currently offline
    Find me on the Map
    My Year: 1996
    My Model: Z240 Talari
    My Engine: 7.4L Bravo III
    Gallery Images: 25

Send WetWilly:
    a Private Message

Hi dobich1,

I agree 100 percent with Blockp, it looks like the same radio we have (Boss MR1640W) and it has some really nice features like a removable face plate to minimize theft, and when the face plate is on, the exposed parts are water proof to all splashes (the Cd slot is protected behind the face plate) and all internal circuits are coated for marine use. It also has weather band, a front Aux input jack for an MP3 player or Ipod as well as rear line feeds for external amps and subwoofer and a rear Aux line input.

Ours is rated at 60watts peak per channel (240w total), not much but it still sounds great and as for the remote, you don't have to use it if you don't want to. I haven't mounted our remote just yet, I am thinking of mounting it on the passenger side by the glove box so the wife could operate the radio when I'm sitting at the helm playing skipper .

WetWilly