The Mariah Owners Club

The Mariah Owners Club (http://www.mariahownersclub.com/forum/)
-   Original Mariah Talk (http://www.mariahownersclub.com/forum/original-mariah-talk/)
-   -   dual battery setup? (http://www.mariahownersclub.com/forum/original-mariah-talk/8964-dual-battery-setup.html)

Txtruckerpaul 03-03-2014 01:20 PM

Re: dual battery setup?

1 Attachment(s)
Ok, finally got everything installed and working for my dual battery setup. I used some big group 27 batteries along with the cutoff switch and isolator. I didn't like all the inline fuses scattered around the trim pump, so I mounted a fuse panel beside the isolator to centralize that mess back there. Found an rv porch lamp in my extra parts box, so I put that back there too. Some will say this setup may be overkill with the huge cables, but too big cables are a lot easier on the electrical system than not big enough. This project is rocking right along. Won't be long before she's ready for the lake!

Motoxxx43 03-03-2014 01:38 PM

That looks clean! Can't wait to put mine in. What gauge wire you end up using?

Sent from my DROID RAZR HD using Tapatalk

Txtruckerpaul 03-03-2014 01:47 PM

I ran 4 gauge for most except for the starter wire which is pretty long and it is 2 gauge. I had some huge 2/0 laying around here and ran it from the batteries to the isolator

Motoxxx43 03-03-2014 01:50 PM

Sounds good to me. My wiring looks good for being the original from 2000. Thinking I'll just get couple feet of 2 or 4 gauge for hooking up the isolator.

Txtruckerpaul 03-03-2014 03:36 PM

That should work just fine! The isolator was simple to install. Only thing I did a little different from the instructions was the isolator power wire that hooks up to the starter ignition switch. Instead of running it all the way to the key switch on the dash or trying to reach it on the starter (a 7.4 is a pita), I hooked it up to the slave solenoid on top of the engine by the mercathode. Made for a lot less cussing. Post some pics of yours when you get it installed

Motoxxx43 03-03-2014 03:45 PM

I will. My compartment looks a little different than yours as it is. I prob won't unwrap the boat till April. My trailer axles got ordered last week. They take two or three weeks to build an ship. It'll take a week once they are here to get them installed. I have quite a few things to do once the shrink wrap is off!
Where did you get your wire? O'Reilly is the only place I've found to sell by the foot so far.

Txtruckerpaul 03-03-2014 03:56 PM

The big 2/0 cable is some stuff I had left over from an rv project. The rest I bought at my local auto zone that already had ends on them. Didn't check to see if they sold cable by the foot though. There is a guy on eBay that will custom build cables for you with whatever type of ends that you want on them. His eBay store name is genuinedealz. Does good work. I bought the 2/0 cables from him

Motoxxx43 03-03-2014 03:58 PM

Good to know. I'll check genuinedealz out.

dustpanq 03-16-2014 05:07 PM

my jubilee has three batteries, they are wired red to red black to black. the onboard charger is wired around the big red switch directly to each battery.

if you wanted to separate them so they were independent then there is a big red switch that has a battery 1 battery 2 and an all selector switch. mine has both switches battery select and on and off