The Mariah Owners Club

The Mariah Owners Club (http://www.mariahownersclub.com/forum/)
-   Original Mariah Talk (http://www.mariahownersclub.com/forum/original-mariah-talk/)
-   -   Open Bimini (http://www.mariahownersclub.com/forum/original-mariah-talk/8191-open-bimini.html)

Andy b 05-31-2013 09:15 PM

Open Bimini

Hi guys,
Can any of you post me up some pictures of 18'/20' Mariah bowriders with open bimini's.
I have the full camping set on my Diablo (the type that snaps to the top of the screen)
I would like the option of just putting up an open bimini for shade.
Can you give me any feedback on this type of cover, how stable are they under way?
would they attach to the pins on top of my side screens or would they be fitted to the hull?
Many thanks
Andy

mikeyt 05-31-2013 09:52 PM

Re: Open Bimini

Shade? i thought it rained 90% of the time in Blighty. :)

Here's mine, no problems whatsoever with stability while underway.

Andy b 06-01-2013 08:50 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by mikeyt (Post 44620)

Not always mikey :rolleyes:

SEMIJim 06-02-2013 02:24 PM

Andy,

There are essentially two kinds of open bimini: Those that must be folded down when under way and those that can stay up. The ones that must be stowed have a solid strut at the middle attachment point, and straps fore and aft. The ones that can stay up (and you often see left up, but rolled) have solid struts center and aft, with straps forward when they're deployed.

We're considering an open bimini for our Barchetta. The kind that can stay up whilst under way. Thing is: A good one, that's designed to fit the boat properly, using Sunbrella and good hardware, is kinda spendy. I think we were quoted around $800 to $1000 for our boat.

We're kind of in a Catch 22 situation: We're reluctant to spend too much more money on the boat, because we haven't used her much. (We nearly sold her last season, for that reason.) But part of the reason we haven't used her much is we also had a sailboat, and we used neither boat as much as we should because The Admiral can't handle high heat, humidity and sun.

So... Sell the boat because we haven't used her much, or assume that, with the sailboat gone and adding a bimini to her we'll use her enough to make sense to keep her?

Heck, if I had my way she'd get (in no particular order):
  • Open bimini
  • Completed canvas for convertible cover
  • LED upgrades for nav and interior lighting
  • Dual battery system
  • VHF radio with DSC
  • Chart plotter with sonar
  • The two rear speakers

Jim

ColoradoDiablo 06-02-2013 03:16 PM

Dang Jim..........800-1000 bones for a Bimini seems way high to me.:eek_animated:
You can get Stainless Steel frame/hardware and Sunbrella Material 8' long at Overtons for 600.00
I'd do a lot more searching Jim.:wink_thumbup:

Andy b 06-02-2013 03:36 PM

The reason I ask is I’m looking for something to put up at the beach for shade.
The stability under way thing is just me being lazy!
Like I say I already have the “sports cover” bimini and was maybe thinking I could get an open bimini to either extend the shade cover over the pad or to go up in place of the closed fronted cover when moored up at the beach.
Something like this
TRIBAL Speed/Sports Boat bimini sun canopy to fit 46" High 85-90" wide BLUE | eBay

SEMIJim 06-02-2013 03:37 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by ColoradoDiablo (Post 44690)
Dang Jim..........800-1000 bones for a Bimini seems way high to me.:eek_animated:
You can get Stainless Steel frame/hardware and Sunbrella Material 8' long at Overtons for 600.00

Okay. Now take the cost in materials and add the labour of a custom canvas guy, which includes:
  • Measuring for and fabricating a custom frame to exactly fit the boat
  • Adding to the boat the attachment points for frame and straps
  • Measuring, cutting, and sewing/attaching material to frame
  • Guaranteeing the work
For that money, he'll make it exactly however high and however long we want it, subject to his judgement on what makes sense and what he feels is a reasonable design, of course. IIRC, his quote also included modifying the mooring cover he made for the boat to accommodate the bimini frame and attachment points.

Quote:

Originally Posted by ColoradoDiablo (Post 44690)
I'd do a lot more searching Jim.:wink_thumbup:

Already searched extensively. This guy is one of the most reputable canvas guys in the area. He was one of about a half-dozen we interviewed, four years ago, when we were searching for somebody to make the boat a mooring cover. For the mooring cover: He was neither the most expensive nor the least--but somewhere near the middle. (IIRC, the mooring cover was about $700, plus-or-minus.)

That mooring cover he made for the boat fits perfectly and looks terrific. Plus he delivered on-time and on-budget, even tho is was during the boating season, here.

Jim

SEMIJim 06-02-2013 03:44 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Andy b (Post 44691)
Like I say I already have the “sports cover” bimini and was maybe thinking I could get an open bimini to either extend the shade cover over the pad or to go up in place of the closed fronted cover when moored up at the beach.

The open biminis I've seen never extend either far enough forward nor far enough aft to cover bow areas or aft sun pads, respectively.

Consider their construction and where the aft attachment points would have to be, in order to fabricate an open bimini that would shade an aft sun pad.

I could be wrong, tho...

Jim

Andy b 06-02-2013 04:10 PM

sorry jim I should have worded it better.
I ment to put it up behind the sports cover as an extension to it.

mikeyt 06-02-2013 05:31 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Andy b (Post 44696)

Ahhh...now i understand what you are trying to do. I had all of our canvas custom fit and i have a full camper style but as our guy said, i can make anything you want. A good canvas shop should be able to construct a rear bimini extension that either snaps or zippers onto your existing top and depending on how your existing support pole assembly is, he might be able to run the extension supports from them rather than drilling for new attachments on the rear deck. If you look at mine you can see that it wouldn't be that hard to make up two extension poles & a cross brace for the rear similar to how the front of my bimini is supported.

ColoradoDiablo 06-02-2013 06:10 PM

You stated in your thread you were reluctant to spend too much more money on the boat. That is why I suggested what I did.

nglauer 06-02-2013 06:14 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Andy b (Post 44696)

Andy, is your convertible top/camper canvas all factory Mariah? I'd love to have a set for our boat. It would be really nice if there was a way to turn it into a bimini by zipping on an additional piece etc. I really like the setup that MikeyT has on his boat. If I ever get one built.. I may end up with something similar.

Andy b 06-02-2013 09:27 PM

yes my canvas pack is stock, came with the boat from the factory.

SinfulDragon 06-03-2013 08:24 PM

I have one of these stored in my engine compartment... I really need to pull it out, clean it up and see how it even attaches to the boat LOL!

Dozer 06-03-2013 09:42 PM

Open Bimini

Check boatcoversdirect.com. They seem to have some really good prices.

SinfulDragon 06-04-2013 12:45 PM

well either I or this product is 8 kinds of retarded. and I'm certainly not saying that it ISN'T me. All I succeeded in doing is learning my buttons on the windshield don't move, hit my head several times and put a little scratch in my side window trying to take it off before just setting it next to the trash cans.
I just don't understand why anyone would want the top level with the windshield and snapped fully to the thing to boot. Maybe I need more to drink next time... and a hammer. That should help it fit.

Dozer 06-04-2013 01:09 PM

Open Bimini

Keeps the wind and rain out when it's cold. That's the convertible top. It also had other zip in panels to make a camper top available from the factory. A Bimini can be made to mount to the same fittings and keeps the sun off of you on nice days.

SinfulDragon 06-04-2013 01:17 PM

I understand all of that, but mine is the exact height of the windshield. Mine doesn't allow you to stand under it like all the pictures that I see, it snaps to the front windshield, two straps in the back to secure it and a zipper part to add more to the back? and a zipper in the front center to unhook the middle section of the windshield to walk to the front?
I'll have to go at it again and see if I can get a picture to put this into perspective.

ColoradoDiablo 06-04-2013 02:08 PM

That is the same as my Diablos' cover Sin.
I look at it as a glorified mooring cover with windows.:yes_grin: And yes mine is a total PITA to install unless it's about 90 deg outside.

SEMIJim 06-04-2013 05:38 PM

sinfulDragon,

Sounds the same as our Barchetta's convertable top. I'm tall. I usually look over the top edge of the windscreen when at the helm. So, as one might imagine, that convertable cover is not something I'd normally have in place. Only time I'd use it is if we got caught in the rain.

I'd like to get the rest of the canvas, to hook to that, for the full camper top.

And a bimini, too, of course :)

Jim

nglauer 06-06-2013 03:54 AM

Take a look at @MikeyT's boat. He has an awesome setup on his. It is like our convertible tops - but his is custom made to sit up higher and has clear vinyl panels that snap to the windshield to allow you to see though it. (Did I get that right Mikey?)

I also agree.. the convertible top works best if you are 5ft tall.. not 6ft or taller lol. I put ours up in the summer for the kids, and I usually just unsnap a section of it and flip it up so I can see forward. I also do this so some air will blow in on me because it'll cook ya.. even though it's creating some shade.

Ideally - I would like to have someone make a panel that zips onto the back of our convertible top to extend it out to shade the rear more. It would also be nice to set it up higher and modify it so that it works like a Bimini or Convertible. I wonder if anyone has had something like this done?

nglauer 06-06-2013 04:03 AM

Also forgot... does anyone else have issues taking their top out of it's storage area? Getting ours removed from under the sun deck on the Diablo is harder than solving a Rubiks cube lol. Snapping ours on isn't so bad (but I did buy extra snaps for the windshield.. because I have had a few fly off).

I also bought a snap tool years ago for a bed cover and have put a little bit of oil on my snaps in the past to aid in moving them. You can buy various styles of snap tool and oil on ebay. Mine is similar to this one:

Top Snapper Stainless Canvas Snap Tool Lube for Boat Enclosures Covers Zippers | eBay

It will save you from ripping off finger nails, turning your fingers and thumbs purple, yelling random curse words, or permanently hiding that top.. or burning it out of frustration lol. I suppose it would also be handy if you have a mooring cover or any type of covers that use the snaps.

husker_fan 06-06-2013 04:51 AM

Mine is a real bear to get out too. Best way I've found is to pick up on one side and keep pushing the other down and in further. I still almost have to bend it to get it out. I'm seriously contemplating enlarging the holes like I've read some others have done.

Sent from my SCH-I535 using Xparent ICS Tapatalk 2

Andy b 06-06-2013 06:24 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by nglauer (Post 44895)
Also forgot... does anyone else have issues taking their top out of it's storage area? Getting ours removed from under the sun deck on the Diablo is harder than solving a Rubiks cube lol.

I have fitted a piece of webbing strap for just this issue.
that way I can unclip the gas struts and lean the sun pad back further out of the way

nglauer 06-06-2013 06:53 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Andy b (Post 44907)
I have fitted a piece of webbing strap for just this issue.
that way I can unclip the gas struts and lean the sun pad back further out of the way

I bet your boat is fun lol.. my sundeck isn't as big as your's so it fold completely flat out of the way.. but it's still a chore to get it out. I bought a second battery box and plan on doing a dual battery setup in our boat this summer... but I never thought about how much harder it would be to remove and replace the convertible top... I might have to reconsider my original plan lol.

RNR-Marine 06-07-2013 01:26 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by nglauer (Post 44893)
Ideally - I would like to have someone make a panel that zips onto the back of our convertible top to extend it out to shade the rear more. It would also be nice to set it up higher and modify it so that it works like a Bimini or Convertible. I wonder if anyone has had something like this done?

What you have described is the Convertible-Top-Aft-Curtain, available for many 2003+ Mariahs:

Purchase RNR-Marine.com™ Convertible Aft-Curtain, Factory OEM (p/n: Convertible-Aft-Curtain-OEM-A)

nglauer 06-07-2013 02:41 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by RNR-Marine (Post 44955)

I would like the Aft Curtain - but I meant something that extends straight out and works more like a bimini top.

RNR - do you have an actual image of the different canvas installed on an 18ft or so Mariah?

RNR-Marine 06-07-2013 11:40 AM

There are many photos of Mariah boats with various pieces of canvas here: RNR-Marine.com/MARIAH.shtml - just scroll down and see the small pictures, as well as the links for larger photos below each boat model.

For reference, a Bimini Top is free standing with a gap between the top and the windshield:
A front Bimini-Spray-Shield and Bimni-Side-Curtains with clear Eisenglass may be zipped onto the Bimini and snapped to the windshield :
In many cases, we patterned an Aft-Curtain as well.

By comparison, a Convertible Top is lower and snaps directly to the windshield:
It is sleeker looking, but not tall enough to stand under in most cases. It can often have a set of Convertible Side-Curtain (and often a Convertible Aft-Curtain) whichsip tot it and snaps tho the boat at the bottom:

I hope this helps ... :wink_thumbup:

ROY850 04-21-2017 12:43 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by mikeyt (Post 44620)

Here's mine, no problems whatsoever with stability while underway.

Hey Mikey, if you don't mind me asking what is the height of your Bimini? Is that 46"? I just purchased one from National Bimini tops and purchased a 46". I like how high that sits on yours. I haven't installed it yet so I'm kind of curious before I do.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

GaryDoug 04-21-2017 10:55 PM

1 Attachment(s)
To make it fit inside the rails, you would have to get one with a narrower width than usual for that size boat. But it can be done. A good boat cover shop can make one any size and fit you want.

The original Bimini bolted to the top of the cockpit rail on each side and had straps fore and aft. You can use it underway up to about 30 knots without damage or excessive flapping. Some are fitted with metal bars instead of straps at the aft and can be protected with a zippered cover.

Also, to be a nit-picker about it, a real Bimini top provides open views on all four sides and is tall enough to stand under. It was originally developed in Bimini for sport fishing.

Paul F 04-22-2017 01:23 PM

I bought an aftermarket without stainless hardware for a couple of hundred dollars. It's high enough for me to stand under and it has rear supports that can easily be removed for trailering. Problem with a small boat is when you set the angle so it doesn't catch the wind, it looks really tall on the boat. I added a second set of attachment points to the rear do I can leave the frame up at a lower angle when not using the top. It looks a lot better that way.

ROY850 04-22-2017 04:49 PM

You have any pics of it installed I'm doing mine today. I purchased stainless swivel mounts just in case and rear supports.

GaryDoug 04-22-2017 09:45 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Paul F (Post 61896)
I added a second set of attachment points to the rear do I can leave the frame up at a lower angle when not using the top.

That's a great idea. And I happen to have an extra set of mounts to use so I think I will do the same.

Ooops, looks like I already have a set there. great.

GaryDoug 04-22-2017 09:48 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by ROY850 (Post 61897)
I purchased stainless swivel mounts just in case and rear supports.

That's what I used to remount the top. Do you meant like these?

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0...?ie=UTF8&psc=1

ROY850 04-22-2017 10:46 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by GaryDoug (Post 61900)
That's what I used to remount the top. Do you meant like these?

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0...?ie=UTF8&psc=1

Those are it!

ROY850 04-24-2017 01:30 AM

Well finally installed my Bimini I purchased from national bimini tops, got it for a steal they had it in sale when I purchased it. Anyway here's what it looks like installed. Very easy I wish the mounts went on the inside instead on the out.https://uploads.tapatalk-cdn.com/201...5088dc14af.jpghttps://uploads.tapatalk-cdn.com/201...a7ab156bc8.jpghttps://uploads.tapatalk-cdn.com/201...fed01fc77c.jpg

https://uploads.tapatalk-cdn.com/201...7dc2230dfa.jpg

GaryDoug 04-24-2017 02:01 AM

Looks good. I wanted mine mounted that way so I could drop it in front of the windshield. That's the only way I could put on the boat cover without removing the top altogether.

Paul F 04-24-2017 02:17 PM

I've never had any luck posting photos on this site, but if you go the Mariah Owners Facebook Page and search my posts, you'll find mine and see why I added a second set of attachment points. There's also a photo of my friends Z272 that I added a bimini to a couple of years ago. His came with telescoping support poles so you could adjust the angle. Problem is they're either to tight to telescope or too loose and wind would pull them out.

On my Talari, I had to mount inside the windshield so I would lay it flat to put it in the garage. On the Shabah, I mounted to the windshield frame to it would lay flat to the gunwale and he could put his cover on.

It also allows me to lay it flat and put up the convertible top in case of rain.

I posted on Facebook on July 15, 2013.

ROY850 04-24-2017 10:33 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by GaryDoug (Post 61915)
Looks good. I wanted mine mounted that way so I could drop it in front of the windshield. That's the only way I could put on the boat cover without removing the top altogether.

Yeah you're right, it makes it easier to take it down toward the front. That's actually how I ended up doing mine. I tried laying it flat to the back but it kind of interfered with the windshield. Let me ask you this Gary, do you have issues with the wind when it's up in the boot bag down the road, or you not even supposed to have it up when you travel?

ROY850 04-24-2017 10:38 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Paul F (Post 61919)
I've never had any luck posting photos on this site, but if you go the Mariah Owners Facebook Page and search my posts, you'll find mine and see why I added a second set of attachment points. There's also a photo of my friends Z272 that I added a bimini to a couple of years ago. His came with telescoping support poles so you could adjust the angle. Problem is they're either to tight to telescope or too loose and wind would pull them out.

On my Talari, I had to mount inside the windshield so I would lay it flat to put it in the garage. On the Shabah, I mounted to the windshield frame to it would lay flat to the gunwale and he could put his cover on.

It also allows me to lay it flat and put up the convertible top in case of rain.

I posted on Facebook on July 15, 2013.

I like the way you mentioned it, that's actually how I normally wanted to do mine but it was sitting up way to high on the windshield. I should have ordered the short Bimini and that could of worked, it would have sat lower and still been able to stand under it. Where did you purchase your Bimini?