The Mariah Owners Club

The Mariah Owners Club (http://www.mariahownersclub.com/forum/)
-   Original Mariah Talk (http://www.mariahownersclub.com/forum/original-mariah-talk/)
-   -   Aftermarket Bimini Top (http://www.mariahownersclub.com/forum/original-mariah-talk/631-aftermarket-bimini-top.html)

dharby 01-24-2008 11:29 PM

Aftermarket Bimini Top

Have a 1994 z220 Talari.....don't like the factory bimini - snaps on the windshield.

Has anyone installed an aftermarket bimini? Wondering what size to get (6 or 8 ft available....seems 7 would be about right..??). I'm thinking 25-35" rise if I can mount to the existing mounts....barely tall enough to stand under providing max shade.

WetWilly 01-25-2008 03:55 AM

Hi dharby,

The top you have is typically referred to as a convertible top where as the Bimini is relatively flat front to rear and from what I have been told, is designed for running at slower speeds.

Any good canvas shop can make a Bimini top and support bows to your specifications while using your existing mounts. With a top that long, you will need a second set of bows and mounts in the rear.

I suggest you use only Stainless Steel poles and components; they last almost forever as compared to plastic or aluminum. Another thing, if you do go long with the top, you might what to invest in the larger diameter 1" tubing verses the 7/8"as well. You also have quite a choice in materials but from my experience, I'd choose Sunbrella.

We have a 1996 Z240 Talari and I am working with a local Canvas shop that did my bow and windshield covers. I'm looking at going about 8' long and just and about 74” from the floor to the underside of the top so I can stand under it and still have shade all the way back to the sun pad. Now because I plan to go with a long top, I too will need will need to have another set of mounts installed towards the rear for the second set of bows as well.

Regardless of whom you have do the job, first ask to see their work on other customer boats to make sure quality, fit and finish is up to your standards and inquire about the warranty they offer on their work as well.

Good luck,
WetWilly

dharby 01-25-2008 11:15 AM

Thks for the advice WetWilly. For front & rear mounts I was thinking steel poles on the rear (allowing me to stowaway/foldup the top in the upright position) and ties for the front. Was considering doing this myself as it seems I only have 4 mounts to attach - and then some assembly. Is it going to be tougher than I think? I'm a so-so DIYer...did install stereo and some other small stuff, yet have a pro winterize me and do anything engine/drive related.

Geno 01-25-2008 01:28 PM

Biminy Tops

Hi, What WetWilly said is accurate. Bimini tops do not fasten to the windsheild but sit above it. Wind gets under the top. (So does rain) You can buy a bimini top from places like Overton's and, depending on your budget, they are probably cheaper than having a trim shop make one custom. They are not what I would call difficult to install but may be a little flimsey for speeds above about 35 MPH. My 18' Mariah Diablo factory convertible top covers the driver and passenger seats well and lets everybody else bake in the sun. I have installed biminis on two different boats.

180diablo 01-25-2008 05:23 PM

Geno: What year Diablo do you have ?

On the topic of tops, I would be interested in getting a support pole for my top so that the top can stay up and above us, rather then stored along the side of the boat OR left back at the dock

The photo below basically is the idea I had for mine:

http://www.craftcoverings.com.au/ima...t_envelope.jpg

OK .. .gotta get back to work now ... ROFL!

Geno 01-25-2008 06:44 PM

My Mariah

I have a 1993 Diablo 180 in the outboard model. I have found that outboards have some very definite advantages in terms of lighter weight, easier service and greater fuel economy with the right one. I have a Suzuki 140 4 stroke efi on this boat.

180diablo 01-25-2008 08:25 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Geno (Post 3422)
I have a 1993 Diablo 180 in the outboard model. I have found that outboards have some very definite advantages in terms of lighter weight, easier service and greater fuel economy with the right one. I have a Suzuki 140 4 stroke efi on this boat.

Oh yeah, I think I remember seeing the boat somewhere on here, unless of course there is another 93 Diablo O/B on here :)

dharby 02-06-2008 11:18 AM

Ryan - your picture is exactly what I want to do. I think I need a 36" tall by 79-85" wide top. The length is my dilemma...8ft seems too long, 6ft too short (only covering front 2 seats). Can't find a 7ft top. Have seen the metal polls to hold the top up for storage (as in your picture).

Almost ready to pull the trigger and try this myself. May take the cheap route (aluminum and white vinyl) in case I don't like it. I think my Mariah top is aluminium and white vinyl anyway.

dharby 04-14-2008 11:26 AM

Installed aftermarket bimini this weekend.

I bought and installed the $250, 8ft x 74-78" x 36" 4-bow Marine white vinyl cover from Overton's. It was simple - only took an hour - and looks to be just right. Now I wish I had sprung for stainless hardware :(. I have pics if anyone interested (email me at [email protected]).

I put it on a 1994 Talari z220.

dharby 04-15-2008 11:29 PM

Did the 8ft top and it turned out well (I think it did;).

Pictures of the top (and new bow teak floor) uploaded to 1994 dharby's talari z220.