The Mariah Owners Club

The Mariah Owners Club (http://www.mariahownersclub.com/forum/)
-   Original Mariah Talk (http://www.mariahownersclub.com/forum/original-mariah-talk/)
-   -   Aftermarket Bimini Top (http://www.mariahownersclub.com/forum/original-mariah-talk/631-aftermarket-bimini-top.html)

Rick 04-16-2008 03:15 AM

Bow mount location?

The factory mounted the top bows to the windshield frame, which does not appear to be too strong of a place to use for the mounts. I have spoken to bimini installers and the message I get is that they also discourage using the windshield frame and suggest mounting directly to the hull. They have said glass breakage and windshield frame flex becomes an issue with amount of stress from a bimini at higher speeds and also with winds. Anyone had any experience on this choice?

dharby 04-16-2008 11:16 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Rick (Post 5699)
The factory mounted the top bows to the windshield frame, which does not appear to be too strong of a place to use for the mounts. I have spoken to bimini installers and the message I get is that they also discourage using the windshield frame and suggest mounting directly to the hull. They have said glass breakage and windshield frame flex becomes an issue with amount of stress from a bimini at higher speeds and also with winds. Anyone had any experience on this choice?

Interesting.....I guess I lucked out. I intended to use the windshield mounts, but that put the top up too high. Mounted it on about 1/2" strip of flat hull next to windshield - feels solid.

WetWilly 04-17-2008 05:03 AM

Hi dharby,

Thanks for the pictures! I really like the teak floor cover, it is definitely something you don't see on a power boat, and it should last for many many years. The picture of the top, it looked like you just got it on and hadn't had a chance to tension it up to smooth out the wrinkles, is that right? Anyway, it looks like a factory top from the pics, good job! :wink_thumbup:

Hey Rick,

Thanks for the info about not using the windshield mounts for the Bimini top, That was just what I was going to do :eek_animated:, now I'm going to really have look into where I'm going to mount it because I want to add a wake tower in the near future and it would be a shame if the two got in each other's way!

Thanks again,
WetWilly

dharby 04-17-2008 02:11 PM

Wetwilly - I did just get the bimini on, however I did have the front straps tightened down and couldn't get those wrinkles smoothed out. Any tips for me?

I was running out of time and have a hunch that moving the location of the 2 small center bows up or down will tighten it up,?

WetWilly 04-17-2008 07:54 PM

1 Attachment(s)
Hi dharby,

Since you have the vinyl, it's easy, a little heat will smooth things out so you have a couple of options here...

1) Just let the sun do the warming and keep tightening it as the vinyl gets softer, just don't over tighten.

2) Take a hair dryer and being careful to monitor the temperature, slowly heat the creases while you use your hand to smooth it out (using your hand allows you to feel if the top is getting too hot). Stop every once in a while to tighten the top as you go.

#2 is the faster way but just be careful not to get the top too hot and melt the vinyl. It'll take a little time but after a little while, your Bimini will be nice and smooth and tight!

In the end, you want your Bimini to look as relatively flat as possible across the top. I would adjust the center bows as wide as you can, then go back and tighten the outer bows, after that, use the inner ones to take up any slack. Here's a small picture for reference.

Good luck,
WetWilly

dharby 04-17-2008 10:48 PM

thks WetWilly!!

Cory 03-24-2011 02:38 PM

Re: Aftermarket Bimini Top

Just wanting to know if you ever found support poles? I would like to do the same for my 2001 z212 shabah.

dharby 03-24-2011 09:49 PM

Re: Aftermarket Bimini Top

Sure did. Taylor Made Adjustable Bimini Support Poles. Sold many places, I think I bought from here:

Taylor Made Adjustable Bimini Support Poles 11995 - iboats.com