Want to get rid of the ads? Become a member by registering today.
The Mariah Owners Club

Forum Left Top

Welcome to the The Mariah Owners Club.

Another New Owner

Original Mariah Talk

Old 10-15-2011, 07:07 PM   #1

Zoot is currently offline
My Year: 1992
My Model: Z240
My Engine: 5.7 yamaha
Gallery Images: 0

Send Zoot:
a Private Message

Default Another New Owner

Hello

I just purchased a 1992 Z240 with a Yamaha 5.7

It has been in storage for past 3 years and seems in pretty good condition. 380 hrs. It was stored and has always been in northern Ontario and seems chipmonks and mice had set up shop. I have spent the last two weeks vacuming up acorns and mice crap. All in all it has come up to a very nice condition. The bellows are cracked and will need replacing and I have found a shop that still works on the Yamahas and plan to change Gimbal bearing and shift cables while the out drive is off. Would appreciate any suggestions of anything else I should replae while I am doing the bellows.

One thing I cant figure out is hoe to get the Cuddy lights working. It seems I have power up to the light but they do not seem grounded. Is there a trick to this or do I need to chase the grounds back to the stern.

Also am missing the starboard side vent window. I am going to try to get this through Taylor. Any other suggestions.

I will post some pictures once I figure out how to. I look forward to getting on the water next spring and am very pleased with the lines and craftmenship of this boat.

Any suggestions would be appreciated

Thanks

Pete
  • Old 10-16-2011, 04:37 AM   #2

mikeyt is currently offline
    Find me on the Map
    My Year: 1996
    My Model: Shabah 180
    My Engine: 4.3
    Gallery Images: 14

Send mikeyt:
    a Private Message

Default Re: Another New Owner

Welcome aboard Pete. The 240/Z240 is a popular boat on this site so you will be in good company but you do have a somewhat rare one with the Yamaha as most are Mercruisers. I didn't look to see how far up in 'northern ontario' you were but i know that Payne Marine in Pointe au Baril will service the Yammies.

As for the glass......good luck. They might still have it but i believe the vent glass isn't done by part number but rather by measurements. I do know that any other glass on the boat is a no-go if it is older than 1997. I simply replaced mine with 3/8" acrylic at a much lower price & it does the job just fine.

While you have the outdrive off you may as well replace the u-joints & check to see if the trim gauge works properly. I'm not sure how the Yammies are set up but with the Mercs the outdrive has to be off to replace the cable to the sensors.

Attaching pics is easy. When you are making a post or replying to one, there is a button down below that says "Manage Attachments" Click on that then you can upload photos.
    Zoot (10-17-2011)
    Old 10-17-2011, 08:51 PM   #3

Zoot is currently offline
    My Year: 1992
    My Model: Z240
    My Engine: 5.7 yamaha
    Gallery Images: 0

Send Zoot:
    a Private Message

Default Re: Another New Owner

Hello Mikey

Thanks for the reply. The boat was purchased from Pride of Muskoka in Bracebridge. And had two owners in that area. I brought it down to my house close to Toronto and plan on keeping it on Lake Ontario near Toronto. I will have trim and U joints looked at. Thanks for the heads up. As you said the Yamaha does not seem to be a very popular unit but hope it will not give me too much trouble.

Pete