Want to get rid of the ads? Become a member by registering today.
The Mariah Owners Club

Forum Left Top

Welcome to the The Mariah Owners Club.

Picked up some amazing deals for my Diablo

Original Mariah Talk

Old 06-15-2011, 08:17 PM   #1

nglauer is currently offline
Find me on the Map
My Year: 2001
My Model: 180 Diablo
My Engine: 3.0L Alpha one
Gallery Images: 0

Send nglauer:
a Private Message

Default Picked up some amazing deals for my Diablo

I haven't been on here in months, but now that the weather is getting nice I figured it was time to dust off the boat and get it ready for the water. To do so i bought a few gadgets.. and want to install them this week (if anyone has installed a similar item please feel free direct me to the thread). I went to a Cabela's store and dug through their "bargain cave" and think I found some great buys.

First item i picked up was a...

Lowrance LST 3800, new in the box, all paperwork, all wires, never installed. Price $49.99! (how have you guys installed your's? I was told I could epoxy the sensor in the hull.. )

Nauticus Smart Tab SX 9510- (can't remember if they are the 60 or 80)all hardware.. never installed, in the original plastic. Price $47.50

Air Heads Elastic like Docking rope with chockers - New in package $ 9.99

If anyone has any hints or tips to installing the Lowrance and Smart tabs on my 2001 Diablo it is greatly appreciated. i don't want to drill anymore holes and necessary and will gladly take any input given to heart.

I'm also thinking about buying another prop... any suggestions for my boat? Again, it's a 2001 Diablo 180 with the 3.0L. I am currently running a 14.5x17, and have a 14.5x19.. both are Michigan Aluminum. I was wondering if I would see any gains with a 4 blade? I also wanted to get some more opinions on the composite props from anyone running them?

Thanks again, I'm going to go move the boat now and get it uncovered! Hoping for a nice weekend

Nick
  • Old 06-15-2011, 10:28 PM   #2

mikeyt is currently offline
    Find me on the Map
    My Year: 1996
    My Model: Shabah 180
    My Engine: 4.3
    Gallery Images: 14

Send mikeyt:
    a Private Message

Default Re: Picked up some amazing deals for my Diablo

You did well with the pricing. With the Lowrance, you need to know whether or not you have a thru hull or transom mount transducer. As for the Smart Tabs, just do a site search for them. There are all kinds of threads covering the installation. Note that anything more than 60lb actuators will be too stiff for your boat although Nauticus will usually exchange them for you if you contact them.

You have both logical choice props already and i dont see any gains by picking up a 4 blade. If you were to do so i would suggest an 18" - 4 blade but you dont really need it.

Composite props.....ugh. Good for spares as far as i'm concerned.
    Old 06-16-2011, 03:19 PM   #3

Find me on the Map

Send nglauer:
    a Private Message

I couldn't remember... but I thought the "ugh" was the general consensus on composite props.

I don't need a prop.. but figured it would be nice to run slightly faster. I'm guessing the Smart Tabs will help jump me out of the water more.. so the 17p prop may not be as necessary now. I still need to send my 19p off for repair. One of the blades has a slight bend in it from last season.

Can I go with a different pitch to pick up top end? or atleast lower my RPM when wide open. Right now the 17p puts me at the max that I want to run.

The transducer I have looks like it is designed to mount outside of the boat. It has a metal bracket and looks like the one in the attached picture. The guy at the marina said it could be epoxied in the hull.. but i don't know how that would work. It's the stock transducer that comes with the LST-3800.

Thanks again for all the help! It is greatly appreciated. I'm hoping to get my boat in the water this weekend if the weather cooperates. I didn't get to work on it last night.. the rain hit as soon as I started to undo the cover
    Attached Images
    File Type: gif Transducer.gif (20.0 KB, 9 views)
    Old 06-16-2011, 03:36 PM   #4

Find me on the Map

Send nglauer:
    a Private Message

I didn't see anyone taking one like mine and epoxying it to the inside of the hull. I'm not sure why the marina told me I could....

mikeyt, are there any installation threads for a transducer on here? I didn't see anything... but i'd like to drive as few holes as possible, so any suggested mounting locations are greatly appreciated.

I also looked at my Smart Tabs, they are the SX9510-60BL, I double checked and I paid 49.99, but I forgot they had a one day only sale going on and took 10% off the items I purchased in the bargain cave.

Thanks again!!! I really appreciate it
    Old 06-16-2011, 06:52 PM   #5

mikeyt is currently offline
    Find me on the Map
    My Year: 1996
    My Model: Shabah 180
    My Engine: 4.3
    Gallery Images: 14

Send mikeyt:
    a Private Message

I guess you could mount that transducer to the floor underneath the engine with epoxy but it's a b!tch of a job. Just mount it on the transom as per the instructions that come with the unit.

As for the prop a 17" to 19" is the range for your boat. Changing props is always a trade off. Lower pitch means higher rpms, more 'jump' at low end but a lower top end. Higher pitch means more top end but at the expense of your low end 'jump'. It will also reduce your rpms by about 200 per inch at WOT.