Want to get rid of the ads? Become a member by registering today.
The Mariah Owners Club

Forum Left Top

Welcome to the The Mariah Owners Club.

Increasing the seat height?

Original Mariah Talk

Old 05-24-2011, 10:49 PM   #1

sanukc is currently offline
Find me on the Map
My Year: 1994
My Model: 205 Davanti
Gallery Images: 0

Send sanukc:
a Private Message

Default Increasing the seat height?

Hi!
I have trouble seeing over the bow unless I stand up and I don't think that would be fun if I had to stand up all the time. I was wondering how difficult it would be to replace the current captain's chair pedestal with something taller?
Something like this at like 24" or 30":
Springfield Marine Company - Manufacturer of Quality Boat Seats and Accessories

Is it a unscrew current one and bolt on a new one? Or is it more involved than that?

Thanks a bunch,

Sanu
  • Old 05-25-2011, 12:00 AM   #2

Oregondunes is currently offline
    Find me on the Map
    My Year: 2000
    My Model: Z302 Bow Rider
    My Engine: 7.4 bravo3
    Gallery Images: 36

Send Oregondunes:
    a Private Message

Default Re: Increasing the seat height?

Boat Seats, Fishing Seats, Captains Seats, Pontoon Furniture and Boat Lounge Seats
    Old 05-25-2011, 12:34 AM   #3

mikeyt is currently offline
    Find me on the Map
    My Year: 1996
    My Model: Shabah 180
    My Engine: 4.3
    Gallery Images: 14

Send mikeyt:
    a Private Message

Quote:
    Originally Posted by sanukc View Post
    Hi!
    I have trouble seeing over the bow unless I stand up and I don't think that would be fun if I had to stand up all the time. I was wondering how difficult it would be to replace the current captain's chair pedestal with something taller?
    Something like this at like 24" or 30":
    Springfield Marine Company - Manufacturer of Quality Boat Seats and Accessories

Is it a unscrew current one and bolt on a new one? Or is it more involved than that?

Thanks a bunch,

Sanu

I dont know what height of seat post you have right now but the problem with going too high is that your head is above the windshield all the time (& therefore in the wind) as well as possibly up against your cockpit canvas. If you just want to change out the post & mount then you need to match up the base diameter & post diameter with what you have. The base is screwed down into a 12" x 12" aluminum plate below the floor so if you dont match up the hole pattern then you are drilling & tapping new holes thus weakening your floor & the aluminum base. You also need to make sure your post will fit your seat slider mount. Springfield also makes some air ride units & adjustable height units but they dont sell direct to the public. You'll have to go thru a company like Cascade Depot to buy them. I went with their Mainstay series and they are well built.

If you want to change out the seat too then i would suggest considering an aftermarket bolster seat (with the flip up front) which you can leave down for cruising or flip up when negotiating tight spots.
    Old 05-25-2011, 02:18 AM   #4

sanukc is currently offline
    Find me on the Map
    My Year: 1994
    My Model: 205 Davanti

Send sanukc:
    a Private Message

Mikey, I had not thought about me being over the windshield all the time if I changed it out. My pedestal is now just under 14" tall. I was hoping to bring it up to around 24"-30". But with what you mentioned now, I might have to rethink that tall a change. Maybe brining it closer to 20" might do the trick. I have to go to the boat this weekend and see how much I can get away with.

Sanu
    Old 05-26-2011, 01:09 PM   #5

mosky is currently offline
    Find me on the Map
    My Year: 1998
    My Model: 202
    My Engine: 5.0L Alpha

Send mosky:
    a Private Message

Sorry i just came across this thread today. i had the same dilemma a few years back and went with an adjustable seat post so i could be above the windscreen on warm days or adjust back down depending on the mood of the day. here's a cut and paste from a thread a few years back:

"I bought my pedestals off ebay a couple of years ago but i see that the seller i orignally bought the adjustable pedestals from has what look like the same units still online. They are located here:
    'http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/NEW-Replacement-Lund-Adjustable-Boat-Seat-Pedestal-NEW-/230510892228?pt=Boat_Parts_Accessories_Gear'
    The ones i bought came with the swivel so i'm not sure about the mariah oem swivel fitting on the top of the pedestal - you will have to check those dimensions.
    I remember his description was detailed enough that i was able to remove my existing seat and check for the required depth below the seat base for the clearance for the post to retract within as well as the base plate bolt pattern.
    After emailing back and forth with the vendor he directed me to Springfield's product web site and i think i ended up with this unit:
    'http://www.springfieldgrp.com/dimensions/1250253-L.htm'
    i'll check my installation tonight to see if these are the same units as well as snap a few pics as well if you want. I think on my install i had to drill the centre 3" hole in the deck and aluminium mounting plate (gulp) but once that was done the rest was stress free and easy as the oem mounting bolts lined up with the new pedestal.
    By the way if anyone is looking for the original seat pedestals (non adjustable) i have a set out of a '98 202 Shabah sitting around."

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    This thread is located at:
    Drivers Seat back cracked

Title of the thread is a little misleading but i think i hijacked it halfway through.

i can send some photos of the completed installation if you need more information