Want to get rid of the ads? Become a member by registering today.
The Mariah Owners Club

Forum Left Top

Welcome to the The Mariah Owners Club.

Battery Switch ease of install?

Original Mariah Talk

Old 04-17-2011, 12:55 AM   #1

sanukc is currently offline
Find me on the Map
My Year: 1994
My Model: 205 Davanti
Gallery Images: 0

Send sanukc:
a Private Message

Default Battery Switch ease of install?

Hi!
On my 94 Davanti, I only have one battery. We decided to not put a house battery on it at this point since we are going to be learning how to boat first, before spending time using the rest of the electronics, I suppose. But I was wondering if it makes sense to install a switch that would turn off the battery drain when I take her out of the water? If it does, is installing a switch an easy job? Or something to be left to the professionals?
We were thinking that maybe next year, after getting a season's worth of boating under our belt, we might want to put some fishing gear, like a fishfinder and a couple of downriggers, on her. When we do that, we have to put a house battery and was trying to push back the expense for this year.
Hopefully not an unwise move.
What do you guys think?
SKC
  • Old 04-17-2011, 04:18 AM   #2

Zackattack is currently offline
    Find me on the Map
    My Model: Z212 Shabah
    My Engine: 5.7 Alpha 1
    Gallery Images: 6

Send Zackattack:
    a Private Message

Default Re: Battery Switch ease of install?

You can manage just fine on one battery if you are just mindful of it. When you are out chillin with the stereo, just crank over the engine once in a while and juice up the battery. The important thing is that the one battery you have is a good one.

Its a good winter project you are likely capable of with the right parts and cables and diagrams.

As far as the switch goes, I would wait til you add the second battery and do all wiring once. If you are concerned about the battery drain, just get a little trickle charger maintainer and plug it in or simply disconnect the red wire each time.

Are you really going to mount downriggers though? Are you going to be fishing in the salt water with it? Are you planning on just the lakes or salt water too?

Just curious, is there a fresh water cooling system on your engine? Does it have a tank with coolant near the front of the engine?

Zack
    1994 Z212 Shabah
    Old 04-17-2011, 04:28 AM   #3

Find me on the Map

Send sanukc:
    a Private Message

Zack,
    I think I have a freshwater cooling system. If i remember correctly, the previous owner said the boat had one. I will confirm tomorrow. I plan to boat exclusively in the Puget Sound. Mostly around Camano/Whidbey Islands. So crabbing and fishing is definitely in the cards. You seem surprised by my saying I was planning to put downriggers. Any particular reason?
    Old 04-17-2011, 02:42 PM   #4

Find me on the Map

Send Zackattack:
    a Private Message

The FWC system, I think that is a must, when i bought mine the seller said there was one also, and he just didn't understand what it was I think. I don't think he was trying to be deceitful, he just thought there was one, but there was not. Right now my engine is in pieces waiting for me to complete the installation of a new cooling system.

I can understand why you want to boat in the sound instead of lakes, we are the same. We have had some smaller and some larger boats and have always found ourselves in the sound. From Olympia to San Juans. I didn't mean to sound surprised about the down riggers, its just the way these boats are layed out it seems a bit difficult to use them much for fishing style. But it could just be the way mine is. The location the windshield comes back to the hull only with enough room to barely climb over to hop onto the seat. If you mounted anything there it would make entry very difficult, and mounted any further back would be difficult to operate. Thats probably just mine though.

We have had crab pots and such alot too, but now I have a buddy with a boat for that. And I am just not sure I will want to have all that stuff in the boat .

Zack
    1994 Z212 Shabah
    Old 04-17-2011, 08:18 PM   #5

Find me on the Map

Send sanukc:
    a Private Message

Zack,
    From the looks of it, it seems that I have a fresh water cooling system. Here's the pic of the engine. What do you think?
    Attachment 2966
    SKC

Last edited by sanukc; 05-28-2011 at 11:44 PM.
    Old 04-17-2011, 08:47 PM   #6

Find me on the Map

Send Zackattack:
    a Private Message

You got it! That will protect your engine from the salt water. Still flush the boat each time you return for the outdrive.

Zack
    1994 Z212 Shabah
    Old 04-19-2011, 04:40 PM   #7

al levy is currently offline
    My Year: 1996
    My Model: 272 shabah
    My Engine: 7.4 bravo 111

Send al levy:
    a Private Message

I have been boating for 30 plus years and also had a propeller and marine service repair shop til I got sick. The three things I ALWAYS recommended to my customers especially the new boaters were 1) 2 batteries, 2) automatic bilge pump and 3) an extra prop. If you are swimming all day and listening to the radio or you left the blower on after you parked the boat your other battery is there and your outing is not ruined. If you run a single motor and you take the family out with friends etc and hit something your day is ruined or spend retail, retail, to get a new prop when they take up very little space and you can buy one a lot cheaper when you are not desperate on a Sunday. Make sure the bilge pump is automatic and manual. Some pumps are automatic but the switch has to be turned on to be that way. It should be wired right to the battery. Good luck and remember a day without boating is like a day without sunshine. Don't listen to people that have owned and then said it was terrible. 99% of the time those are the people that WERE NOT educated once they bought their boat.
    Old 04-19-2011, 05:10 PM   #8

Find me on the Map

Send sanukc:
    a Private Message

Al,
    Thanks a bunch for the advice. A 2nd battery is definitely on the cards. But because I wanted to wire in an isolator switch and do some other "upgrades" to the boat, I decided that for the first year as we are learning to boat, we could possibly live without a 2nd battery. But as an insurance policy, I have a battery jump starter kit with me as well, just in the off chance something goes awry.
    On the topics of the bilge pump, how can I know if my bilge pump is wired directly to the batter or through a switch? And by the way, is what is in the attached pic the bilge pump and float switch?
    Attachment 2969
    And how about the prop? How can I know what prop to buy as a spare? Attached is a pic of my current prop.
    Attachment 2968
    Attachment 2967
    Thanks,
    SKC

Old 04-19-2011, 05:31 PM   #9

al levy is currently offline
    My Year: 1996
    My Model: 272 shabah
    My Engine: 7.4 bravo 111

Send al levy:
    a Private Message

if there is a hose going to the outside of the yellow thing it is a bilge pump. the black switch looks like a float for an automatic bilge pump. what kind of out drive do you have as that looks like an omc prop.
    Old 04-19-2011, 05:37 PM   #10

Find me on the Map

Send sanukc:
    a Private Message

It a Volvo Penta SX.
    Attachment 2970