Want to get rid of the ads? Become a member by registering today.
The Mariah Owners Club

Forum Left Top

Welcome to the The Mariah Owners Club.

Mariah Build Quality??

Original Mariah Talk

Old 11-14-2007, 05:18 AM   #1

Jeff Barnett is currently offline
Gallery Images: 1

Send Jeff Barnett:
a Private Message

Default Mariah Build Quality??

Ok, I love my Mariah, However I don't think mine could be the only boat with "less than perfect assembly" I have found at least four locations where screws used to attach say, the shore power panel, or the docking lights, were put through their mounting holes, and attach to nothing, due to the fact the hole to accept the accesory was cut too large or cut wrong or at an angle. Also the fact that every single screw comes loose within a month or two, to the point it has become normal maintainance to check every single screw and bolt on the hull monthly. Granted, Mariah is the first boat I've owned so I have nothing to compare to. I do laugh from time to time when checking something and I find screws run in at angles, or just attaching to nothing, kinda sloppy. My bow lights on both sides had at least 2 to 3 screws per side going into nothing, as the hole to fit the light was over cut. All these problems have since been remedied, the new replacement lights from Barnaget Lighting is a much better design with lens over the light holes now.
Sorry to ramble..
  • Old 11-14-2007, 01:06 PM   #2

indykoch is currently offline
    Find me on the Map
    My Year: 1999
    My Model: Z212 Shabah
    My Engine: 350 Magnum Alpha One
    Gallery Images: 18

Send indykoch:
    a Private Message

Jeff,

Sorry to hear about your troubles. I must admit, this is the first time I've ever heard someone question the build quality (at least on the original Mariahs). It sounds warranted, but I can't say it's typical. Every time I go through my boat, I find assemblies and parts to be of the best quality and condition (taking it's age into account), even surprising at times (like the labeled and organized wiring, support braces, hardware). Obviously, every boat on the market will have a few loose screws (especially 11 years old), that's nothing new or of concern. But holes cut too large and screws at angles sound like a bit of bad luck. Maybe they had a few new guys on the production line that day???

If it makes you feel any better... go to a boat dealer, act like your interested in something of the same vintage, and crawl around looking at everything in another brand. I'm sure you'll walk away completely satisfied with your Mariah (a VERY nice one, by the way)!!!
    Currently - '07 Ebbtide 2600 CBR
    Old 11-14-2007, 11:12 PM   #3

ShabahZ280 is currently offline
    Find me on the Map
    My Model: Z280 MCC
    My Engine: 7.4L MPI Bravo III
    Gallery Images: 1564

Send ShabahZ280:
    a Private Message

I have the problem with loose screws once a season. About an hours worth of time, and everything's tight and quiet once again. Really though, I can tolerate some screws working themselves loose (they've never fallen out, or been more loose than "finger tight"). You could replace them all with machine screws and nuts to ensure they don't walk themselves out, but with the way fiberglass flexes, not sure if that'd be a benefit or a disadvantage.

When you really "get into" your boat, taking side panels off, moldings, and and things, you'll find some obvious flaws. Just the same as you would on any American car. But, when I see each and every individual wire completely labeled, each panel crafted specifically to your hull number (look for the handwritten numbers on the back!), the thoughtfullness and the way everything is laid out, and the quality and attention to detail on things like the seats, it makes me forget about the few minor flaws. They really are great boats, truly "equipped like no other boat in the world".
    -Formerly known as ShabahZ250
    -USCG Licensed 50 Ton Near Coastal Master Captain with Towing Certification
    Old 11-15-2007, 02:15 PM   #4

indykoch is currently offline
    Find me on the Map
    My Model: Z212 Shabah
    My Engine: 350 Magnum Alpha One
    Gallery Images: 18

Send indykoch:
    a Private Message

Would using "loc-tite" on the screws work? I was thinking about doing this over the winter on anything I find loose.

I must say... I think we're a bit spoiled with these boats. I've NEVER seen a boat more than 3 years old without loose screws, panels falling off, misaligned parts/pieces, squeeks and rattles, etc. Heck, some of the NEW boats suffer from this!

Every boat owner that has been in mine has made comments about the amenities, features, attention to detail, plush materials, design... you name it. That's why I mentioned to go look at other brands - you'll definitely walk away feeling darn good about yours!
    Currently - '07 Ebbtide 2600 CBR
    Old 11-15-2007, 10:06 PM   #5

Mark is currently offline
    Find me on the Map
    My Model: 182 shabah
    My Engine: 4.3L
    Gallery Images: 5

Send Mark:
    a Private Message

If you use loc-tite make sure you use the blue and not the red.
    Old 12-27-2007, 01:35 PM   #6

93mariah is currently offline
    Find me on the Map
    Gallery Images: 0

Send 93mariah:
    a Private Message

We have a '93 18' 10" Barchetta Z, bought it new, and the only problem we had was loose wires to the bow lights. That was an easy fix. The boat also came without the required yellow capacity plate, but they sent one upon request.

We have almost 500 hours on the engine and have never had a problem with it, though assume it will be due for a rebuild soon. We plan to put a new MPI in it when the time comes.

There are no squeaks or rattles and it has been a very satisfactory boat. We were really disappointed when the company went bankrupt, as the company that bought the Mariah name built much lower quality boats.

Over the years we have looked at other boats, thinking a larger one would be nice, but we have not found one with all the interior gel coat ours have (lots of vinyl and carpet in the others) or as attractive an interior. Even the Cobalts are not as attractive inside.
    Old 12-27-2007, 10:41 PM   #7

ShabahZ280 is currently offline
    Find me on the Map
    My Model: Z280 MCC
    My Engine: 7.4L MPI Bravo III
    Gallery Images: 1564

Send ShabahZ280:
    a Private Message

Quote:
    Originally Posted by 93mariah View Post
    We were really disappointed when the company went bankrupt, as the company that bought the Mariah name built much lower quality boats. Over the years we have looked at other boats, thinking a larger one would be nice, but we have not found one with all the interior gel coat ours have (lots of vinyl and carpet in the others) or as attractive an interior. Even the Cobalts are not as attractive inside.
    You're preachin' to the Choir here! I think all of us here were disappointed when the original Mariah went under. That's what we created this site for, a place where Mariah owners (both the original and new) can come and help each other out, and gawk over each other's boats.
    -Formerly known as ShabahZ250
    -USCG Licensed 50 Ton Near Coastal Master Captain with Towing Certification
    Old 02-24-2008, 08:25 PM   #8

Texas Boater is currently offline
    My Model: Marah 22 ft, Merc 454 (7.4L), 300 HP Bravo I
    Gallery Images: 0

Send Texas Boater:
    a Private Message

Default Quality

I have a 1996, 22 Ft Mariah. I must say some of the design is very good, like the ease at getting to the engine compartment and the folding rear seat.

As far as quality, here are a few items that I have found.
    1. use of steel t-nuts rather than stainless steel. Assemblies do not come apart, but rather fall apart.
    2. Use of pressure treated plywood rather than marine plywood
    3. Console fit and finish
    4. Walk through window open postion fit and finish
    5. My horn is inside the boat, under the console (do you have a car horn inside your car?)
    6. Fit and finish of the flooring to the spares. Yes, I have actually been inside the ski locker and under the floor - what a tight fit!

I do all the work on my boat and have taken much of the interior apart and rebuild some of it. I do like the boat, lots of fun and a great design.
    Old 02-24-2008, 10:28 PM   #9

Paul F is currently offline
    Find me on the Map
    Gallery Images: 4

Send Paul F:
    a Private Message

I concur with #5. My horn is pathetic. I know it's in the hull somewhere, but I've never actually seen it and I won't honk it out of sheer embarassment!
    Old 02-24-2008, 10:42 PM   #10

z275st is currently offline
    Find me on the Map
    My Model: 2001 Z275st 496HO Bravo1
    Gallery Images: 33

Send z275st:
    a Private Message

Texas Boater,

Are you the original buyer of your Mariah? If not, maybe some one replaced some of the original hardware with cheaper grade bolts. I have owned two Mariah boats a1995 and a 2001 and have never found anything but stainless hardware in either of them. But I guess any builder could come up short on a given day and go to a local store to get supplies to finish out the day. Like many of you, I have been on many boats and the Mariah’s have the best interiors, solid ride, tight seams, and just plain good looking helms that I have seen!

Am I biased? You bet!
    Am I right? You bet!